Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639247 times)

Hazard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #225 on: December 21, 2016, 03:59:39 PM »

What may be kind of fun is if having hand weapons in your cargo give a small bonus to marines' effectiveness if you bring enough (to arm marines) with you.  Sort of like equipping ships with rifles, grenades, or nerve gas in the game Endless Sky.
That's doesn't make sense unless you go all in and separate all the things the marines need to board a ship (armor, gear, weapons, marines themselves, etc.), and that would just be pointless extra inventory management.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 21, 2016, 05:43:57 PM »

The idea is if hand weapons gave a slight boost to marine power, then the weapons would have a use beyond simple commodity that it virtual indistinguishable from the rest of the commodities that is not fuel, supplies, or (soon) heavy machinery.  The hand weapons could offer a slight upgrade (because their stock weapons are pea-shooters or they have twice the guns and play guns akimbo) to marines, nothing more.  It does not need to be complicated.  If you have the weapons in cargo, marines get a slight power boost.  Otherwise, the marines perform as normal.  Player does not need to carry very many guns unless he plans to board battleships and does not have the Special Ops perk.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 21, 2016, 10:14:20 PM »

I feel like marines should be assumed to be properly equipped to do their one job. Instead of weapons boosting marines, I'd rather see N weapons allow N crew to act in boarding parties. (Likely at a lower effectiveness than trained marines.) Early game it gives you a discount marines option, and mid-late game it can supplement your marine complement.

I think it's more interesting than "marines + guns = slightly better marines"

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 21, 2016, 10:26:37 PM »

This sounds a lot like complexity for its own sake.  It's a better argument against making heavy machinery a resource than it is for doing it to guns.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 21, 2016, 11:48:08 PM »

it's not complicated at all

>choose how many crew you would like to send in (if any)
>they are marines at .5x effectiveness

i swear to god this was in the game already in an earlier version, and it worked fine.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 22, 2016, 03:35:03 AM »

I like the idea of commodities having an in-game purpose, but not so sure that purpose need be as obvious and clinical as 'hand weapons improve boarding strength'.
The benefit to having them available in your cargo hold shouldn't make carrying them mandatory; that just creates extra busy work and power creep.
Instead, their benefit should be incidental; random events & encounters, extra dialogue options, something sufficiently unpredictable that planning for its occurrence is cost prohibitive, but if encountered becomes a happy coincidence.

It'd add a little flavour to cargo types, while also enhancing the narrative and replayability of the campaign.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:38:59 AM by TJJ »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 22, 2016, 05:47:42 AM »

The minor boost I had in mind was like from +10% to 25%.  (Special Ops perk gives +100%.)  Yes, marines are already equipped (only they can board ships in the first place), but nothing says you cannot equip them with superior equipment above and beyond the baseline.  Yes, they may become "mandatory" if you board much, and if you have plenty of cargo space.  When I board ships, cargo space is at a premium, I bring three or so Atlas to take all of the loot from multiple battles in hostile systems, and I manage to fill up space after a few encounters.  If weapons boosted marine effectiveness, the trick is to give enough so that it is worth the loss of cargo space, but not too much as to make it mandatory.

Also, hand weapons have the minor problem of being illegal in some factions' space.  If you get cargo scans, you risk losing them.

That said, I do not mind weapons having an additional use aside from boosting marines or mundane trade.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 22, 2016, 08:40:43 AM »

It would be interesting if the various goods had more of an impact on worlds; for example, smuggling hand weapons could reduce stability more than smuggling food (which might even increase stability, despite being smuggling, if there is a shortage). Explaining all this to the player in an intuitive manner might be difficult though.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 22, 2016, 09:04:17 AM »

Maybe not all commodities need an immediate application. I hope industry will give them more of an identity by making them part of a production chain. For example, hand weapons might be a necessary ingredient to train your own marines.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Darenkel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 22, 2016, 06:31:13 PM »

Or have some craftable where "Crew + Hand Weapons = Marines"...

Beobachter

• Ensign
  • Balancing? What is that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 23, 2016, 12:48:47 AM »

This discussion reminds me of how Failbetter's Sunless Sea handles commodities, casting them as both trade goods and as consumables.

Other ways resources could be used(?)
  • Food + Lobster = Increase Rations (Active Ability: gain 1% CR)
  • Luxury Goods = Bribery (Character Interaction Option)
Putting together a mod sometime in the distant future.

hellman-P

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 25, 2016, 01:29:45 PM »

I can't wait for this update to realese! ;D

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 02, 2017, 06:37:43 PM »

Couple of mod-conversion related questions to this these patch notes if you have a free moment. No big deal if you are too busy to reply to this  :)

1) Can I get the .csv file IDs for the heavy mortar, hammer barrage, and devastator cannon?

2) Only if spoiler-free answers are possible of course: the new fighter hull IDs?

Trying to get as many files ready as possible and fit the new weapon roles into my current weapon balance ahead of time.

Makes the overall transition to .8a way easier.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 06:43:28 PM by Morrokain »

ErKeL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 05, 2017, 08:00:48 PM »

Personally I think if hand weapons were to have a use and effect it would be outfitting rebel factions or supplying the legitimate government of a colony.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 08, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »

Is Advanced Optics going to get an OP price decrease like DTC and ITU?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 116