Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 637898 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2016, 04:25:09 PM »

Oh, that is spot on about the Annhilators, Megas. This could drastically reduce their effectiveness (they're my go-to missile weapon :-[)!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2016, 06:17:18 PM »

Minor nit pick: Why is the patch notes release date listed with the day first and the month second while the blog post is the other way around?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2016, 06:18:48 PM »

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, are new/acquirable hullmods finite? As in you can only enable it depending on how many of the item you have or are you able to install them on any ships as long as you have the item in your inventory?

Are there any hullmods from salvaging that you haven't revealed? I understand I'm asking for REDACTED stuff but one of the reasons why I see all these movement nerfs to current hullmods is to allow new ones that need to be salvaged to fulfill that role.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »

Maybe Alex does have some plans for special, high-end hullmods but I think that Alex has been meaning to tone down combat speed for quite some time. So, it is possible that, no, there will be no superior +combat speed hullmod.

But who knows what with all the [REDACTED] and [EXPUNGED] and  :-X :-X :-X going on here! lol

Sheesh, sometimes I feel like I'm reading the SCP Foundation logs! http://www.scp-wiki.net/top-rated-pages. (awesome stuff, read'em!)

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2016, 06:27:54 PM »

::)but excited as hell  ;D
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2016, 06:30:07 PM »

combat speed has been a problem for a long time. the rather absurd percentile scaling that skills + several dedicated speedmods added was pretty ridiculous.

it's been my concern for a while that larger ships are altogether too adroit; used to be you could flank an onslaught with an eagle. now due to it's insane range + cruiser-scale turning ability you'll die long before you get anywhere near it.

hope maneuverability gets nerfed too. it's too "cheap" to have a maneuverable battleship.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2016, 06:42:54 PM »

The main thing Augmented Engines had over Unstable Injector was +1 burn speed, although +5 top speed over Unstable Injector was nice too.  It seems Unstable Injector takes care of the combat speed, and Augmented Drive Field takes care of burn speed.

The one downgrade I may be concerned about is the shot range downgrade for Unstable Injector.  I am anticipating focusing on sniper configurations (use long range weapons only to compensate for lost range) and/or installing a flight deck (since fighters are now big missiles that shoot baby missiles or bullets) to maintain kiting and enough speed to avoid damage.

For some ships that do not have that option, like Wolf (or even Aurora), I may not bother using.  Either it is too slow with 600 range laser/blaster, or it has decent speed with 450 range, which means Wolf is dead against a Lasher with machine guns which also has 450 (or a little less) range and can use engine mods without (much) penalty.  If energy weapons will continue to keep such short range or even lose what little range they had, in addition to possible removal of vent-spam, they need more DPS to compete with kinetics.  Ballistics already have the advantage of shot range, DPS, and overall efficiency over energy weapons.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 06:47:52 PM by Megas »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2016, 07:12:56 PM »

Alex, on the Discord channel you said:

regarding the DTC/ITU, the idea is that it's a default choice in most cases, but you can still go for a specialized build that doesn't use it. Baking it into the hull would remove that option. But, yeah, 90% of the time you're going to want to install it.
So most default variants will have it?
Does the skill revamp include ITU being available at start? If it remains a straight upgrade from DTC, I'm guessing no. Will it still be readily available via the new modspecs?

(The part that bothers me about the cost change is: if 90% of builds are going to have it, it should just be baked into the hull and instead there's a hullmod that gives more OP or other benefits in exchange for removing the range bonus. This reduces the clutter of DTC/ITU appearing all the time, and avoids noob traps where new players don't install it because they don't know they're supposed to.)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:24:28 PM by Histidine »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2016, 07:20:57 PM »

DTC/ITU is one of the two hullmods I throw on nearly everything (the other being current Augmented Engines).  There are few ships that do not need it, namely Hyperion, pure missile boats, and civilians (or blockade runners) not expected to fight.

I agree with Histidine, ITU should be baked into hulls, unless it might interfere with built-in range mods some hulls (Paragon or stations) may get.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:25:51 PM by Megas »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »

SHOOT I need to download that onto my new phone, I always miss good stuff
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2016, 07:26:45 PM »

Very cool! Can't wait to play with the new fighters.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2016, 07:34:56 PM »

SHOOT I need to download that onto my new phone, I always miss good stuff
If you have a computer you can use the web version. And granted he wasn't on for very long
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2016, 07:42:46 PM »

That is a neat idea, Histidine.

Just bake the range into all ships, say, frigates/fighters have base weapon range with each bigger size noted as having the corresponding %boost to range. Then, add a new hullmod that says it transfers resources/CPU/AI power from targeting systems to instead increase ship OP!

Morgan Rue

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2016, 10:15:18 PM »

For the range vs speed thing:
Fast ships don't need range as long as they can close the distance without dying and then outperform their longer ranged enemies in close range combat. Also, speed can double as defense by allowing to dodge projectiles at longer ranges.
Long ranged ships don't need to be fast as long as they can blow everything up before they can get close.
Fast ships that also have long range should not be able to overwhelm an equal opponents shields ever. If they can, then they are almost certainly overpowered. This is why beams build soft flux instead of hard flux.

Currently, the default seems to be long ranged ships. I would like fast ships to be more competitive with long ranged ships. Also, most fast ships are high tech, so I would also like high tech ships to be more competitive with low tech ships. Hopefully this happens in the upcoming update.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:17:30 PM by Morgan Rue »
Dauntless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2016, 10:21:31 PM »

True it is supposed to be buffed but the loss of the flux cap plus the way the AI uses M Jets and the lack of decent ENERGY weapons (while ballistics gets two more... *grumbles*) tells me that it is gonna get killed even more in the hands of the AI

I think I've said it before, but from my experience, it's definitely more survivable than before. The ability to dart out is great.

With the Unstable Injector changes, it seems only worth using on ships with either long-range ballistics and beams (e.g., Eagle with Mauler+HVD+Tac Lasers) and can afford the range cut or any high-tech that just should use Safety Override because 600 range energy weapons become 450 with Unstable Injector (same as Safety Override).

That's assuming a lack of range-boosting hullmods and skills, both of which would not help with SO. Also, kind of glossing over the other downsides of SO :)

Flamed-out missiles now have a 50% chance to bounce off harmlessly on impact
This looks like it can harm Annihilators.  They flame out early then drift a long time.

Yeah. They also don't drift that long anymore; their range was a bit extreme and the AI didn't use that well to boot.

Minor nit pick: Why is the patch notes release date listed with the day first and the month second while the blog post is the other way around?

Ahh, thank you, fixed. Every now and then my brain reverts to the non-US way of writing that.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, are new/acquirable hullmods finite? As in you can only enable it depending on how many of the item you have or are you able to install them on any ships as long as you have the item in your inventory?

The way it works is you get the modspec, right-click on it, it disappears and you permanently gain access to the mod.

Are there any hullmods from salvaging that you haven't revealed? I understand I'm asking for REDACTED stuff but one of the reasons why I see all these movement nerfs to current hullmods is to allow new ones that need to be salvaged to fulfill that role.

Not at the moment, but if there were, it would indeed be 100% REDACTED.

Maybe Alex does have some plans for special, high-end hullmods but I think that Alex has been meaning to tone down combat speed for quite some time. So, it is possible that, no, there will be no superior +combat speed hullmod.

Yes, exactly.

hope maneuverability gets nerfed too. it's too "cheap" to have a maneuverable battleship.

Yep.

regarding the DTC/ITU, the idea is that it's a default choice in most cases, but you can still go for a specialized build that doesn't use it. Baking it into the hull would remove that option. But, yeah, 90% of the time you're going to want to install it.
So most default variants will have it?
Does the skill revamp include ITU being available at start? If it remains a straight upgrade from DTC, I'm guessing no. Will it still be readily available via the new modspecs?

(The part that bothers me about the cost change is: if 90% of builds are going to have it, it should just be baked into the hull and instead there's a hullmod that gives more OP or other benefits in exchange for removing the range bonus. This reduces the clutter of DTC/ITU appearing all the time, and avoids noob traps where new players don't install it because they don't know they're supposed to.)

I hear what you're saying. But: one, "hullmods giving more OP" isn't a thing. Two, it it was baked in via a built-in hullmod, that wouldn't actually reduce clutter - and if it was just baked in, that'd be a hidden stat, also not newbie-friendly. My feeling is neither solution is ideal, and this one has the virtue of being simpler.

Yeah, the ITU will be available via modspecs, like everything else. Shouldn't be too hard to get provided (to your other point) that a lot of variants use it. I haven't updated all of them (though I've improved quite a few so far), but generally speaking, whenever I do update a variant, it gets the ITU/DTC for obvious reasons.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 116