Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639218 times)

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1215 on: April 25, 2017, 11:35:04 AM »

The Neutrino Detector makes it a easier though not foolproof to find those obscure probes. It requires 1 point in the Sensors skill in the Technology Aptitude and costs 1 Volatile per day upkeep.

For me it's actually harder with the neutrino detector, because it's always leading me nowhere and I end up going further away from the probe.
Easier to just fly around more or less randomly until I get it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: April 25, 2017, 12:34:06 PM »

Re: flickering - argh!

How can I find a probe on the outskirts of a nebula?

It's not going to be much further out than the outermost orbit in that system (which could be a ring, doesn't have to be a planet) and it's orbiting the star. It's also not going to be super close to the star.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: April 25, 2017, 12:35:30 PM »

the orbit of a... nebula?
mmm.... tartiflette

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: April 25, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »

If it's in a nebula, it's not going to be orbiting anything. It doesn't say it's orbiting a nebula, either, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: April 25, 2017, 12:53:34 PM »

I really wish the aptitude skills gave you something. Anything.
Potentially 12 of your 40 levels are worth nothing.

As much as I love the things, Sparks are probably a little too good for thier cost and (relative) ease of aquisition.

Shepherds seem far more aggressive than I remember them being.
When I deploy them I frequently have to waypoint them out of the big furball that inevitably forms and hope they don't get stepped on.
I get that they need to be somewhat close to be 'in range' of it's drones, but I don't think they should dive into a mess of ships firing back and forth.

CedricO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: April 25, 2017, 01:07:51 PM »

When can we expect Starsector to pop on steam (early access?).

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: April 25, 2017, 01:13:50 PM »

I really wish the aptitude skills gave you something. Anything.
Potentially 12 of your 40 levels are worth nothing.

As much as I love the things, Sparks are probably a little too good for thier cost and (relative) ease of aquisition.

Shepherds seem far more aggressive than I remember them being.
When I deploy them I frequently have to waypoint them out of the big furball that inevitably forms and hope they don't get stepped on.
I get that they need to be somewhat close to be 'in range' of it's drones, but I don't think they should dive into a mess of ships firing back and forth.
On the first, I think that's intentional. The aptitude tax is supposed to discourage over-generalization. 12 points that 'do nothing' probably means you're picking and choosing the 'best' skills. If you only buy one skill from an aptitude, you're paying double price for it.

The Shepherds, my guess is that it might be trying to engage with the ship weapons as well as  the drones. What's installed on it?

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: April 25, 2017, 01:20:03 PM »

The Neutrino Detector makes it a easier though not foolproof to find those obscure probes. It requires 1 point in the Sensors skill in the Technology Aptitude and costs 1 Volatile per day upkeep.

For me it's actually harder with the neutrino detector, because it's always leading me nowhere and I end up going further away from the probe.
Easier to just fly around more or less randomly until I get it.

Some of the signals are false which mean there is nothing but they never change direction so you can easily find which are not real.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: April 25, 2017, 01:21:36 PM »

When can we expect Starsector to pop on steam (early access?).
steam, yes. most likely. once it's done.
steam early access, definitely not.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: April 25, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »

BTW Is solar shielding work as intended?
I slap some of them on support ships and did not notice any effect in supplies used when in storm or in sun corona.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: April 25, 2017, 02:00:15 PM »

I slap some of them on support ships and did not notice any effect in supplies used when in storm or in sun corona.

There's no effect on the rate of supply use, but since the CR damage is reduced, you'll lose less total CR when in a storm/corona and it will take less time to recover all of it, thus using less supplies total, but at the same rate.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: April 25, 2017, 02:00:42 PM »

it reduces the speed at which your ships lose CR. but since ships always recover CR at the same, full speed, the supplies-per-day consumption is always the same when your ships are below max-CR.

with Solar Shielding your ships won't lose as much CR while you're in a corona or hyperstorm, so the time it takes to get them back to full CR again will be much lower, and consqeuently you will also consume a lot less supplies in total. :]

edit: too slow! D:

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 25, 2017, 07:30:33 PM »

I ran into a peculiar issue for myself. I was exploring/surveying systems and salvaging probes/survey ships. Just as I'm about to leave the system, I give away some fuel to a stranded independent fleet with my transponder off. On my way back to civilization, a large fleet suddenly started following me. On instinct, I turned off my transponder. Out of curiosity, I saved my game, and turned off sburn so i could look at what the fleet is, and it's an independent salvager chasing me, yet not formerly hostile. Turning my transponder back on tells me it would reveal my hostile actuons to yhe independants, so i'm really confused. As far as I know, I didn't do anything.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: April 25, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »

Bug; fixed for next release.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: April 25, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »

Ah, alright! Thanks!
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 116