Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So I was playing Starsector today, and had an idea...  (Read 1582 times)

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
So I was playing Starsector today, and had an idea...
« on: December 02, 2016, 07:42:27 AM »

As the title says, I have an idea.

Unfortunately, i'm no good at modding ships or creating ships.

So, the idea I was thinking of was 2 heavily modified versions of the Infernus and the Renegade Capital ships. (more on my decision for the ideas a bit further down)

Ever wondered how the AI could be more aggressive with the Renegade and utilize the Infernus better for their roles? What would happen if they got a high tech upgrade by a pirate or a corporate who struck the jackpot and got some or even a whole ton of parts to do a full on conversion of the roles of said ships?

Renegade, for example likes to be mostly aggressive, utilizing it's Burst Drive (which sounds awesome by the way), so what if said corporate/pirate managed to convert said systems and not only increase shield efficiency (flux dampening/flux buildup reduction), but also make the ship even faster than it is now, only very slighty reducing armor/hull, while increasing weapon power (by taking off missiles and putting a large hybrid turret where the large ballistic hardpoint would usually go) and also giving the Renegade...X-Jets (The exact same system that the Venom-X used before it got Temporal Shell), giving it 3 charges and amplifying it's power to get in and out of situations that favor or are unfavorable for said upgraded Renegade.

The name of the new Renegade would be, something out of these three - Imperious, Rebel, Eliminator

The reason I thought of the Renegade getting an upgrade (even though it probably doesn't need it) is, being able to charge into a situation, but barely being able to use it to your advantage, while attacking other capitals like the Onslaught, Victory, probably even Mod Capitals like the Karkinos being able to get into a situation that it can utilize to it's advantage is pretty useful, so the Renegade being a Skirmishing Captial or a frightening machine to face off against overall would be an excellent idea I think. Although some would digress it doesn't need the upgrades, I can't help but think it'd need something like that soon.

Which brings me onto the Infernus.

Now, the Infernus, from how long i've used said machine, kind of lacks oomph and some power, despite having the Hellfire Turret, which, even though being able to match the Onslaught, the Infernus doesn't have a lot of direct firepower.

Bring in the Seth (probably even call it the Surt), which would sacrifice a moderate amount of turret coverage to have more direct firepower and the Firestorm Turret, which is essentally a Hellfire Turret with upgrades (think Hellfire Turret, but instead of 3 TPC's rapid firing in a burst, 2 upsized TPC's firing glowing hot plasma bolts, orange in color, 8 bolts at each burst from each TPC, doing damage that would trade fire rate for pure, unadultered alpha damage (around 800 per bolt - these travel pretty damn fast too), with of course the negative of there being a 6 second cooldown period between each burst, where the sides of the turret open to vent the heat built up from said cannons before they can fire again).

The Seth/Surt will also be slight more mobile (at least with the turning, having a +1 in Burn Speed, bringing it to 7, and in line with some capitals) while having worse shield flux management and less shield coverage (thinking 140, could be even less though), but it will have an Omni-Shield, while the special ability of Seth/Surt will be to aggressively vent the flux it has out of the machine to cause damage in a wide area around it (think an inferno in space, but around the ship, kind of in it's shape, range being about 1000 maximum, but more around 600), while the ship itself hums like a charging laser, on release, letting out a sound that could be described like a malformed lion's roar, crackling with heat (sure, flames shouldn't be possible in space, but this is plasma we're talking about, the type that burns ships like meat in a barbecue). The ship's systems will deactivate very briefly, while it's preparing said release of the heatwave

(Ability name could be something to do with heat, something like...Conflagration, probably)

Reason for the Infernus being upgraded would be, even though it's support/attack, it kind of feels underwhelming, even if you have power on your side, you can't really do much with it, and when it gets flanked, there's not much you can do, hence why it'd need a slight agility boost. When it attempts to take on capitals, there's not much in the way of tons of firepower, unfortunately, even if it has the Hellfire Turret. It also can't put much weapons on, so not much can be done with the Infernus, at least when i've used it. You also can't chase opponents effectively with it.

So, there we go, two ideas that will hopefully be brought into light by a modder that can do this. (I really need to get into modding...)
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.