Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: random crashes unmodded  (Read 2286 times)

nordus76

• Ensign
    • View Profile
random crashes unmodded
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:25:05 PM »

Recently bought this game and really like it. But i keep getting random crashes making it almost unplayable. Crashes have happened 5 minutes after starting it up to being able to play for 30+ minutes. This is most recent pure unmodded log. Its even worse with mods.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: random crashes unmodded
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:33:45 PM »

Hi - sorry about the trouble!

Looking at the attached log, it looks like the game *is* actually running modded - it's using a 64-bit version of Java rather than the 32 bit version the game comes with, and the vmparams file is modified. Could you try a clean install of the game to see if the problems persist? By "clean" I mean manually deleting the Starsector folder (after copying whatever you want to hold on to elsewhere - mods, saves, screenshots, logs, etc), re-downloading and then reinstalling the game.

nordus76

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:47:53 PM »

ahh yea sorry, forgot i had that still when i tried to use mods. 5 minutes playable tops with mods in lol. will reinstall and post results.

nordus76

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 06:14:15 AM »

Did the reinstall and was only able to try it for about an hour. So far no crash, completely forgot about rolling back the java. Ill stick to vanilla for now till I figure out how people are useing java64 to get those mods to work. Thanks.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:12:25 AM »

Alright, glad that's working. Not sure why 64-bit wouldn't work - could have to do with the changes to vmparams (6 gigs is a bit much, can your system handle that much?) or it could be some kind of issue on your system. Which is awfully vague and not at all helpful, sorry :)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 02:57:03 PM »

Could the difference in the memory allotment notations (IE -Xms1024m <- this and -Xmx6g <- this) cause the crash? Also what does the SS log say?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too