Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Campaign Ability  (Read 3923 times)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
New Campaign Ability
« on: December 13, 2016, 12:50:36 PM »

Per Alex's Twitter:

Looks like a "gravimetric compass" to me. It tells you where the gravity fields of a local system are and relays it through the amplitude of an aura. Note the local star's gravity signature is essentially "north" and remains peaked. The planets, on the other hand, are much smaller but noticeable. The gas giant has a pretty strong signature. I count 6, maybe 7 signatures on the compass with something very small and/or far away at the 7 o'clock position.

I would imagine this would be really helpful in unexplored space (if there is such a thing as going in "blind.") Alternatively, it would be useful to chart more precise trips to planets and whatnot if you have to deviate from your original course.

I'm curious if large fleets have enough mass to register on such an ability (probably not) but if you're far enough away from planetary/stellar gravity wells, maybe? I think it's pretty cool though I wonder if it's a ship system, hull mod, or item that enables it. Or maybe every ship gets it?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:52:35 PM by FooF »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: New Campaign Ability
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 01:07:08 PM »

Looks like a "gravimetric compass" to me.

That seems right. I just wonder what the pulsating spikes at 8, 1, and 2 o'clock are. Maybe fleets?

I would imagine this would be really helpful in unexplored space (if there is such a thing as going in "blind.")

Somehow I doubt that. With the new radar in the game, finding planets with this seems redundant. I could imagine that the planet and stars are just meant as distracting noise, and that you are actually looking for something different with the ability. Maybe relics? 
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 01:34:40 PM »

Seems like a method to find fleets beyond sensor range.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 01:51:41 PM »

and that you are actually looking for something different with the ability. Maybe relics? 

Something... Like this?

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/806667228078866432

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »

I like it, better ergonomics than constantly glancing at a radar in a corner of the screen.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 02:50:56 PM »

This could be a good theoretical replacement for transponder rings. Just have a small ring around your ship (Just your ship). It'd send out an inverse spike(IE the spike goes inwards) from the direction of the fleet. The spike get's closer and closer until it touches the center of the circle, and then you know the fleet can 'see' you.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »

This thing which appears to be a passive sensor ability, would it not make more sense to do it on the new campaign radar UI element rather than around your fleet?

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 03:54:45 PM »

I just wonder what the pulsating spikes at 8, 1, and 2 o'clock are. Maybe fleets?

I would imagine this would be really helpful in unexplored space (if there is such a thing as going in "blind.")

Somehow I doubt that. With the new radar in the game, finding planets with this seems redundant. I could imagine that the planet and stars are just meant as distracting noise, and that you are actually looking for something different with the ability. Maybe relics? 

Might be picking up fleet's Drive Field as well as gravity walls. Possibly 'striking from direction of the Sun' like old WWI aircraft pilots did or ambushing from gas giants could become a thing...

Seems it is not meant to be turned on constantly - looks more like raw sensor readings than properly analyzed information. So, yeah. Finding relics sound more likely purpose than fleet detection.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 11:14:15 PM »

Looks like some passive "hearing" device like submarine sonar.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 07:25:54 AM »

I think this would look good as an oscilloscope/vector thing.