Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Brigador  (Read 10572 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Brigador
« on: November 29, 2016, 08:38:19 AM »

Just a quick note to my fellow sci-fi, 2D, blow-stuff-up game fans.

Brigador is pretty darn cool in spots and is currently at $6 on Steam.

Essentially, the game is about taking a mech, tank or "agrav" (kind of a helicopter-meets tank) and roaming isometric levels, blowing stuff up in a dystopian setting. 

It has a very large stable of vehicles and gear and tight, interesting gameplay (among other things, realistic projectile physics make shooting really interesting sometimes).

The art style really sold it to me- deliberately 80's, but referencing the sci-fi design work of Machinen Krieger, amongst other sources (which made it a huge hit with me, instantly, because Machinen Krieger is full of really wicked designs) and a really great lighting system that really makes levels feel surprisingly right for scale:

Spoiler
[close]

Anyhow, for $6, this is a fun isometric shooter with pretty dense mechanics and gameplay; not as complicated as SS, but more than enough to satisfy the urge to play something more complex than the average ARPG.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Brigador
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 09:03:40 AM »

I would add that the default controls feel weird at first, but it is worth it to stick with them. After a few minutes they reaaaaally start to shine.
(just saying this because the controls are the main complain from people with less than 10 minutes of play. If only they knew.)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 09:28:16 AM »

(Haven't played the game - yet?, but the soundtrack for it by Makeup and Vanity Set is wonderful.)

Ionise

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 05:43:42 PM »

I paid $30 for this game with the soundtrack on a friend's recommendation. A++ would zap, blast, and stomp my way to fullfilment of The Agreement again.

If I hadn't been waiting for the next Starsector patch I wouldn't have even been looking for something like it, so I'm glad to see a post about it here.

Great aesthetic and atmosphere, excellent challenge/reward balanced gameplay in the Campaign levels (which are kind of like puzzle/challenge mode) and the whole unlock system and the different pilot's changing the difficulty (via spawn lists) and the payout is a cool mechanic. I've only unlocked a handful of the mechs and weapons in Freelance, though I did just finish the campaign. I've got about 8 hours played and I can't wait to play again. Definitely a Good Game and I'd think worth a look for anyone that enjoys the combat in Starsector.

Edit: I should mention the developers have plans to add more missions and whatever they mean by "revamp" over the next year.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 07:59:46 AM »

I just wish they'd worry less about Steam trading cards and more about getting the game into shape for release.

And this is one reason I'm happy that Starsector is not on Steam or the like. Although, I thought Brigador left early access a while ago? I was planning to buy it very soon.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 10:01:41 AM »

Nice, I'll have to give it another go :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 01:56:07 PM »

Man, this feel so much like my 90s dream game! Pixelated total destruction rampage! Would have been staggeringly awesome when I was 12, still real entertaining now.

Altough the "story progression" seems all over the place.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 09:20:36 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAzIuxldPhE

If nothing else, get this just for the '80s sci-fi throwback music. Oh god, the music.

By the way, there is a '90s dream game like this. It's called Bedlam.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:37:50 AM by Schwartz »

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 12:19:20 PM »

It's fun. I was hoping for something more like the 'Strike' series of games, with allied units and a plotline and chained objectives, but oh well.
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 10:09:38 AM »

Recently they re-launched this thing as "Brigador: Up-Armored Edition" with some new stuff I guess? I hadn't played it before, but put a few hours into it last night...

Annnd I'm really impressed by this game! Good shootin', fantastic ambiance, wonderful writing. I'd highly recommend it as an arcadey mech-shooter with a deep, pitch-black setting and amazing music.

It's also funny how easily the 'lore' fits such that this could be taking place on a planet in Starsector, hence some joking around on twitter with the Brigador devs about a crossover ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 07:26:13 PM »

Recently they re-launched this thing as "Brigador: Up-Armored Edition" with some new stuff I guess? I hadn't played it before, but put a few hours into it last night...

Annnd I'm really impressed by this game! Good shootin', fantastic ambiance, wonderful writing. I'd highly recommend it as an arcadey mech-shooter with a deep, pitch-black setting and amazing music.

It's also funny how easily the 'lore' fits such that this could be taking place on a planet in Starsector, hence some joking around on twitter with the Brigador devs about a crossover ;D
Yeah, I remember reading that. I swear if you guys start doing a cross over, my fan boy levels are going to go critical!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too