Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Installing Mods - A Simple Guide  (Read 96535 times)

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
Installing Mods - A Simple Guide
« on: November 27, 2016, 12:49:53 AM »

Mod Installation Guide

To newcomers reading this: Hello and welcome to Starsector (Fractal Softworks) forums! Starting a modded play through is easy, but requires a few steps and preparation. I've created this thread to help newer players and it has links to all mentioned stuff (updated, unless stated otherwise). I will try to keep it up to date and will include date of modification to the content of this thread.

Be sure to read through every mods page if you intend to use them! They often contain critical information to make the mod work correctly such as dependencies or cross-mod compatibility issues.

Current Core Game: 0.8.1a-RC8
List Updated at: 14/October/2017

Many thanks to:
Tartiflette for revamping this thread from day one!
MesoTronik for pointers and advice.
Starsector Fan Chat Discord for all the encouragement!

Reminder:Please delete a mod's folder before installing a new updated version instead of overwriting/merging it. It's the cause of errors that is commonly reported, so, please I say.

Notes:

• If you are having some problem with a modded game, check the Mod Troubleshooting Guide first.
  • Sometimes, a bug could occur due to differences in Windows, Mac OS or iOS, and Linux (because the modder... *** up. Be gentle! Sometimes it's an oversight and they tire themselves too much! ;P).
  • You can narrow down the probable cause of the problem by switching on and off the mods one by one and loading the game. Then testing them with each other. It’s tedious, but it works.
  • In the case that a problem could not be identified after checking your list of mods, please consult with a knowledgeable forum member or mod author (especially if you found their mod to be root of the problem).
  • Additionally, it is advisable to provide the part of ‘starsector.log’ text file from ‘starsector-core’ folder that shows the error. It is usually at the very end portions of the log.
  • For those that run the game on Windows, there's a free program called 'Baretail' that allows you to view the log in real time and opens quicker than Word or Notepad. Beware though, it is something you have to read through properly to get an understanding of what it does. Advisable for the very tech savvy.
  • If you couldn't find the source of the issue, post a report in the Modded Support Section.

If you want to play older versions of Starsector, you must use the correct version of the mods for that version. Ask around for links to files or a repository for the old mods. Generally speaking, older versions of mods are not supported anymore. Use them at your own risks.

Also, there's the misconception between 'incompatible' and 'not supported'. In simple words:
- Incompatible mods will cause the game to not load/crash if they are active at the same time.
- 'Not supported' stems from mods like Dynasector that supports certain mods and grants them features from itself. A mod that is 'not supported' by another mod usually means that both mods can be active at the same time and the features of the mods would apply only to their respective mods.

First thing to do:

Allocate sufficient memory in for Starsector with mods. Open the 'vmparams' file and change the allocated memory accordingly.

Here's a thread pertaining to that matter and its importance.

Here is a video guide made by a community member of Starsector and a Let's Player:

Some other useful tips.

• For unzipping the downloaded files, I would recommend 7-zip because it can handle almost any type of file format mods are packaged into.
  • Sometimes, you have to manually fix somethings. To do that, you need to open files and manually overwrite, remove or add stuff. For a clean and easier time opening and modifying said files, I would recommend Notepad++.
  • In rare occasions, it's difficult to fix some things broken by yourself even if you have the tools for it. For that situation, I would advise just to wait for the author of the mod to take action.

Due to some circumstances:

- I have labelled mods that may cause issues with * at the end of their names.
- This is usually bugged, imbalanced and/or have issues that could crop up.

I also have:
- Some mods are supported by the mod Dynasector, thus, I've given them a DS superscript at the end of their names.
- Added this download for an alternate/newer xstream file. It is to be used in the case your game has crashes while saving a lot. This reduces that basically as well speeds up saving entirely. To use, just replace the xstream file that is in starsector-core folder with this one.

Second thing to do: Non-Faction mods.

Required libraries:

• LazyLib: Library adding coding functionalities commonly used by other mods.
  • GraphicsLib: Library adding graphical functionalities commonly used by other mods as well as enhancing the base game's graphics.

Warning: GraphicsLib can cause issues with older GPU or outdated drivers, consult the Mod Troubleshooting Guide if you are experiencing graphical glitches with this mod enabled.

Gameplay changing mods:

• Dynasector: Diversifies the load outs of ships in fleets. Only applies to Vanilla (and ships added to Vanilla fleets) and DS supported mods though.
  • Nexerelin: Want to conquer the stars!? Want a random sector!? Here you go!

Miscellany mods that add stuff:

~ Musical & Sounds:

~ Visual:

~ Ships and/or weapons:

~ Extra Spice:

~ Unsung Help:

Third thing to do: Faction mods!

Now we move on to faction mods, the ones players will, admittedly, look at first. I’ll be using some terms that Dark.Revenant uses in his description for supported factions in Dynasector. This is to describe factions in this list in a somewhat similar fashion.

Faction mods of normal toughness:

Pretty good overall and good looking ships. Generally not problematic and a good start before diving into the more esoteric stuff.

Blurb: Military green and grey ships with an overall focus on being very mobile and fast active venting.

Blurb: White colored ships (with a few mix colours here and there) with a pristine, blocky appearance and a focus on sharp maneuvers and active venting.

Blurb: Red coloured ships with white highlights. Contains uniquely animated fighters and a unique transforming super frigate.

Blurb: Bricky golden yellow ships with white highlights that fly fast or slow in a fleet focussed playstyle. Also one of the best in stand off poke battles.

Blurb: Dark purple blocky ships with golden dressings. Broadsides like nobody's business with a focus on unique energy based artillery weapons.

Blurb: Grey blue ships with great speed and flexibility. Diverse cast with just about anything a faction would want. Features ships with modular components.

Blurb: Smooth curvy ships with spectacular light cyan and dark green colouring. A focus on high tech like capabilities and mobility with a higher reliance on shields.

Blurb: An assortment of light green ships with red highlights as well as an assorted addition of Vanilla like ships. Lots of content.

Faction mods for advanced players/tougher gameplay:

These mods are meant as something like boss factions, but their creators made it balanced in a way that they are counter-able and their gear hard to acquire to avoid power creep. Beware, they will destroy you if you are not prepared.

Blurb: One of the balanced boss factions. Scary mechanics, fighters and weapons.

Blurb: Comes with upgrades for pirates and introduces a new faction. Both provide unique features. Difficulty of the Cabal increases with the number of Dynasector supported mods if Dynasector is on. They will extort you dry! Additionally, you as the player can extort cargo/trade fleets too!

Faction mods that are WIP towards achieving a balanced/complete state:

Blurb: Imagine if zombies came from space. Well, this fulfils the fantasy I suppose. Balance is quirky.

Blurb: Overpowered. A Diable inspired mod with green that's hard to see against most background.

Blurb: Light blue ships with a race car like theme. Fast and powerful, but brittle and very very short operation periods.

Blurb: Fighter wings mostly with only a handful of ships. Inspired by several sources.

Blurb: Faction based around a mining theme. Nice looking ships with some having a bit of a strong ship systems. Balance is quirky at best.

Blurb: Tanky and high techy. Grey-ish dark with harsh lines aiming at the theme of a big mining cooperation.

Blurb: A mod with controversial history, with dark red and blackish brown ships that mostly focuses on heavy shielding while having rather generous amount of weapons slots with very large arcs. A bit overpowered.

Blurb: An old mod revived once more by its original author. Desert like colouration and theme for the ships with a heavy emphasis of a lot of built-in weapons.

Blurb: A rather peculiar mod focussing on old style naval ships. Rather narrow and long profiles. Ships from this mod are added to Vanilla fleets.

Blurb: Lots of galvanised ships that are mish mash of Vanilla ships with a peculiar thing here and there. Rather repetitive is most cases. Whether it's interesting or not depends on you as the player.

Mods requiring feedback to improve:

These mods are... different. Mostly in terms of art style that just doesn't quite click (for me at least). Or has issues. Up to you as the player to judge however. The * tag applies to all of the mods here.

Blurb: N/a.

Blurb: Dark blue ships revamp courtesy of DrakonST. Give em' feedback I suppose.

Blurb: A mod with crystalline and spiky ships with heavy emphasis and only built-in weapons on their ships bar some odd ones.

Blurb: An older mod revived. Not much has been changed aside from compatibility updates.

Blurb: Rather pleasant set of orange weird looking ships. A new revamp courtesy of DrakonST again, so comment to help with the balance!

Blurb: An old mod revived. Peculiar red and oversized lumpy ships.

Blurb: N/a.

Here are some very experimental mods. Use with a degree of caution I suppose.

Gameplay modifiers:
  • Active Gates: An experiment to make the gates in campaign do something.
  • Remnant Autofactory: An experiment to create an expansion based on the Omnifactory
  • Thar Be Dragons: Clears out hyperspace clouds from overlapping hyperspace gates and introduces predatory fleet that'll jump a player from hyperspace clouds (very large and very OP fleets, may cause issue with system).

Utility Tools:

Mods that add factions, ships and/or weapons:
  • Steelclad: The WIP revival attempt for Ironclads. Currently not a Total Convsersion. For more details, please visit the thread.

If you have any problems or questions, don't be afraid to ask!
Hope this helps!

Thanks for reading! Leave your comments if you like!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:53:12 PM by Orikson »
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Installing Mods - A Simple Guide
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 01:37:56 PM »

Two things that I would change:
1: If the person runs a windows OS, then they can use the free program Baretail to look at the log in real time and it opens it VERY quickly versus something like Word or Notepad
2: Save transfer needs Console to work
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 02:43:58 PM »

Two things that I would change:
1: If the person runs a windows OS, then they can use the free program Baretail to look at the log in real time and it opens it VERY quickly versus something like Word or Notepad
2: Save transfer needs Console to work

Thanks for the tips! Added them to the guide.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 12:52:50 AM »

Idea:    Write in a blurb from the Mods if able.   Otherwise, your writing an format is very pleasant to read....   Do critiques next I say, heh.   :P

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 01:18:21 AM »

I have tested the speeds and Notepad++ is as fast as Baretail, the only area where Baretail is better is realtime log monitoring that Notepad++ needs an addon for.

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 01:55:41 AM »

Idea:    Write in a blurb from the Mods if able.   Otherwise, your writing an format is very pleasant to read....   Do critiques next I say, heh.   :P

The writing format is Tartiflette's work, hence, he is the one that should be credited for the thread.

So I'm just managing for now and will update the thread as per changes made to the mods in the list, i.e. finishing; or a major update hits Vanilla.

Critiques is a bit tricky, since not all mods have the same power level and different things appeal to players.

Individual critique might be possible, but it'll probably be best posted in the thread of the mod that is being criticise/evaluated.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 02:49:15 AM »

Wait, what is needed to get Dynasector to work with Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering and Scy?

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 03:37:16 AM »

Sorry, DME is not in line for Dynasector intergration right now and we don't have a solution for that.

My bad for the misinformation.

For SCY to work with Dynasector, you need to download the latest version of SCY and transfer the Dynasector files available inside the mods folder to Dynasector itself.

Additionally, if you want to play SCY with Nexerelin, you need the latest versions of both mods.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 04:22:07 AM »

Well, thank you for the info.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 12:08:18 PM »

*SNIP*

The writing format is Tartiflette's work, hence, he is the one that should be credited for the thread.

So I'm just managing for now and will update the thread as per changes made to the mods in the list, i.e. finishing; or a major update hits Vanilla.

Critiques is a bit tricky, since not all mods have the same power level and different things appeal to players.

Individual critique might be possible, but it'll probably be best posted in the thread of the mod that is being criticise/evaluated.

D'oh!
Well regardless, nice to see a proper list-thread of sorts.

RyokenMK

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »

So I definitely have the Ships/Weapons Pack installed, all of the ships and weapons are available. But in Nexerlin I'm not having IBB bounties spawn. Why is this?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 04:23:34 PM »

IBBs are missions to get in markets.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 04:29:31 PM »

So I definitely have the Ships/Weapons Pack installed, all of the ships and weapons are available. But in Nexerlin I'm not having IBB bounties spawn. Why is this?
IBBs are missions to get in markets.
Only in certain markets by the way. Out of vanilla, the Hegemony and the indies I believe offer the missions
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 10:24:41 PM »

Oh my god, this list is like a haven in seeing what is currently going on. Thank you so much Orikson for the effort to create this list along with all it's helpful notes! This definitely helps so much =) Thank you! Also thanks towards Tartiflette and MesoTronik for helping for this =)
Ignorance is bliss..

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 11:11:08 PM »

Balance: Mid-vanilla to upper-vanilla.
   Flavor: Somewhat vanilla-friendly.
      Warning: Has an accompanying external Library mod called ElizaLib for it to work.

ElizaLib is no longer required, as of the latest version.
Pages: [1] 2