Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

asteroids, good or evil?

good
evil
wait what?
ROCKS HAVE NO SOULS THEY AREN'T GOOD OR EVIL!!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Asteroids  (Read 13662 times)

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
Asteroids
« on: February 23, 2012, 05:49:48 PM »

I was in an engagement with a small pirate attack force and i decided it would be a good idea to just use my flagship. ( a customized Medusa)
I was fighting a Venture class cruiser and some fighters came from behind me and overloaded my shields and the venture decided now would be a good time for his reaper torpedoes. i personally thought i was done for when this random asteroid flies in between us and takes one of the torpedo hits for me, the other missed me entirely. I named one of my ships after that asteroid. Anyone else have experiences with epic asteroids?
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Gear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Asteroids
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »

Haha that's pretty cool. I haven't had anything special experience with asteroids but I have used disabled ship hulls in the same way :)

Doom101

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »

Haha that's pretty cool. I haven't had anything special experience with asteroids but I have used disabled ship hulls in the same way :)

yeah i do that too i just thought this was interesting because i was prepared to reload my save ( who likes to loose their flagship?) and random asteroid saved my bacon :D

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »

i have a pretty cool experience with an asteroid

picture this. your in a non combat carrier condor class. your fighting a hammerhead you cant get away your shields are about to be over loaded.. if only you could finish off that hammerhead after all its flying on a thread of life.. you see an asteroid coming into view.. you make a small course correction and duck behind the asteroid (which was fairly large) the hammerhead only seeing red keeps the hammer down on his engines to catch up to you and rams into the asteroid blowing up..
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Doom101

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »

oh wow that's awesome arwan :D  i could completely see that in my head too :D

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 06:47:46 PM »

Anyone else have experiences with epic asteroids?

I was pursuing a fleeing ship with my Hammerhead once, shields down to maximize speed, and I didn't notice I was almost dead. I hit an asteroid and died. :'(

stonehand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »

i was flying backwards in my tempest and ran my engines right into one which almost brought me to a stop and disabled my engines leaving me helpless to the ship i was kiting around :) had to reload but it was a epic one.

Doom101

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »

i was flying backwards in my tempest and ran my engines right into one which almost brought me to a stop and disabled my engines leaving me helpless to the ship i was kiting around :) had to reload but it was a epic one.

heh the mortal enemy of fast ships, asteroids :D

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:47:22 PM »

My tempest was killed by an asteroid, facing off against a large hegemony fleet, hit 2 or 3 pilums down to 4 hull points. running away from a dozen more missiles an asteroid that was smaller than a fighter I ran into it and kaboom.

Doom101

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 01:03:34 AM »

i stand by my statement that asteroids are the new enemy of all fast ships :D mainly because i just splattered my hyperion on one in the sinking the bis'mar mission.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 04:15:50 AM »

I had two Auroras playing pin ball with an asteroid between them.

Needless to say, I was not pleased >:(

If the character/officer system was implemented, I would have tossed those two out of the airlock.

Doom101

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 05:29:05 AM »

I had two Auroras playing pin ball with an asteroid between them.

Needless to say, I was not pleased >:(

If the character/officer system was implemented, I would have tossed those two out of the airlock.

this made me laugh a lot i would have loved to see this :D admittedly i'd do the same to those two captains in your position.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 05:19:01 PM »

you guys are cruel they just wanted to play an advanced game of pong after all they probably have only herd of the game in books.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Doom101

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:16:20 PM »

you guys are cruel they just wanted to play an advanced game of pong after all they probably have only herd of the game in books.

the most epic game of pong ever played, ever.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 09:24:14 PM »

Qloos defeated an onslaught with nothing but a hyperion, 2 PD lasers, and asteroids. There's even a video of it somewhere.

With the tougher asteroids in .5a, they make for great cover for small ships, and a nuiscance for larger ships. That said, I've used dead onslaughts, ventures, and dominators as battering rams before (so that way I could hide behind the wreck and simply boost it along with my shields, and it would absorb all the hits and the collision damage for me, instead of doing the ramming myself)
Pages: [1] 2 3