Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Biomechanoids (WIP)  (Read 17390 times)

Kaucukovnik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Biomechanoids (WIP)
« on: November 24, 2016, 01:52:39 AM »

Decided to stop spamming the spriting thread and make my own, since this seems to be actually going somewhere.

Biomechanoids so far:

Despair destroyer, Lilith phase cruiser, Baphomet command cruiser, Cocytus battle carrier
No edge cleanup yet for the latest ones, so black background is better for now.

I'm not sure about the edited tachyon lance on Lilith and I will eventually make custom weapon mounts for these ships, as was suggested.
For now I'm putting those aside to continue making more and will come back with a bit more fresh eyes and hopefully also comments from you guys.

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
Re: Biomechanoids (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 02:16:37 AM »

These look lovely and creepy at the same time.

Nice work I say.
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 02:56:05 AM »

Whoa.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 08:39:13 AM »

These look wonderfully disturbing, looking forward to seeing where this goes

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 09:52:23 AM »

The Lilith rear bridge looks out of place, and yeah, the Tachyon lance head doesn't really fit either. There's also the issue with the very few mounts, only two mediums and one (built-in?) large, this is going to make the balancing process tricky.

I'm not that much a fan of the Despair, same issue as the Lilith, very few mounts for a ship of its size. As for the Cocytus, it looks very unfinished compared to the Baphomet.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 01:49:13 PM »

Giger would be proud.

Kaucukovnik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 02:56:36 PM »

Thanks for the responses, guys, especially Helmut. Observations noted.

The Lilith rear bridge looks out of place.
The thing is, I see nowhere else to place it without breaking the ship's shape. And this way the captain has at least a good view of the ship's curvatures, I imagine many would want it exactly this way. :)

I'm not that much a fan of the Despair, same issue as the Lilith, very few mounts for a ship of its size.
It's intended to have a built-in weapon down the middle, and it's still missing engine thrusters.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »

Bit of a nitpick, Lilith is taken already as a name in the Modiverse by a Mayorate frigate. I would recommend checking content against the name list spreadsheet.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9550.0

Beobachter

• Ensign
  • Balancing? What is that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »

The sprites look interesting, if a bit off putting. It will be interesting to see them in action.

Bit of a nitpick, Lilith is taken already as a name in the Modiverse by a Mayorate frigate. I would recommend checking content against the name list spreadsheet.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9550.0

As MesoTroniK has pointed out, some of the names are already taken. However, I notice your ships look similar to human organs, albeit very diseased ones. Perhaps naming after plagues or medical terms?
Putting together a mod sometime in the distant future.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 05:34:36 PM »

For the Despair:
I like it, although maybe the 'arms' could use some 'strengthening', either with cables, tubes or just thickening them. Maybe make the hardpoints medium for a bit of umph, or ad a small hardpoint between the bumps in front. Also maybe move the front turrets back a bit, so the front can look more rounded, organic and disturbing.
Spoiler
Also you could possibly make the region between the frontal bumps more 'feminine' for additional creepiness.
[close]

For the Lillith:
Possible name change to Incubus, Adonis or Narcissus? It's a hell of a beautiful ship - the back looks gorgeous. Replacing the 'head' with a large hardpoint would be a good balance wise, especially if this is going to be a phase ship. Just give it a bit of a 'neck', which ends in a mechanical hardpoint. The shading looks weird at the edges of the 'wings; of the ship, but because it's a phase ship the look is actually really good, like the edges don't properly exist in space and looks wrong. As for the bridge...

Spoiler

For added squick, maybe something like this, where the bridge goes either onto or into the rear section? Or maybe even under the rear section? It'll make the bridge feel more integrated, while at the same time adding to the disturbing look of it.
[close]

For the Baphomet:
No real comment, you're already fixing what's wrong with it, and it's a alluring ship.

For the Cocytus:
The rear bridge needs some greebling / shading / texturing; it seems pointlessly round when it could use some ribbing. Also the major rear 'organ' section needs more shading on the edges to make it more 'round', right now it looks very flat, like it's disk shaped rather than a round organ. Also wouldn't mind seeing some of the small organic greebling on the right hand 'machine' part to look like it's growing on and above the hard, solid metal section to break up the lines.

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 04:37:41 AM »

ship systems named after body parts i hope?

"Kiss my ass"
"Shot to the heart"
"Lip service"
"Lily-liverred bilge rats!"
"Best foot forward"
"Knee-capper"
etc.

Kaucukovnik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 08:58:25 AM »

Lilith is taken already as a name in the Modiverse by a Mayorate frigate.
Damn you, Mayorate! That's what I get for not playing you, eh? :)
I planned to check on that, but didn't really expect any of the names to be taken.

Anyways, great ideas, guys! Couldn't wait to try some. Here is the progress:

Reworked Lilith and re-christened to Narcissus (thanks, King Alfonzo!) The bridge simply didn't work and trying to connect it to the figure was getting way too perverted, so I just placed it on the right buttcheek. This solution also adds some asymmetry and one more weapon mount. I think the vanilla energy hardpoint on the "head" actually fits in this case.
The greebles on Cocytus' stomach-bulb need some more work. Same for Baphomet's lower legs.

I'm also trying a bit of color. That goes with the problem of faction colors, everything is already taken. Some colors even multiple times! :) Seriously, I can hardly tell apart Diable and Metelson, unless I see the colors next to each other.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 05:06:18 PM »

Reworked Lilith and re-christened to Narcissus (thanks, King Alfonzo!) The bridge simply didn't work and trying to connect it to the figure was getting way too perverted, so I just placed it on the right buttcheek. This solution also adds some asymmetry and one more weapon mount. I think the vanilla energy hardpoint on the "head" actually fits in this case.
The greebles on Cocytus' stomach-bulb need some more work. Same for Baphomet's lower legs.

I'm also trying a bit of color. That goes with the problem of faction colors, everything is already taken. Some colors even multiple times! :) Seriously, I can hardly tell apart Diable and Metelson, unless I see the colors next to each other.

I'm not really a fan of the assymetric medium turret on the Nacrissus; it really ruins the lines on the rear. The frontal hardpoint's pretty good. The baphonet needs some fixing around the bridge - it feels a bit wobbly, but otherwise overall it's pretty good - I don't think you need to do much on the lower legs. The bdrige on the Cocytus (the front anyway) still bugs me immensely, along with the 'seams' on the organ; now that it's properly shaded, the seams look really weird and doesn't seem to properly follow the shape of the organ. The rear of the bridge and the back-right of the organ could use some breaking up along the edge to make the greebling more 3D, and make the veins look more like an actual structure and not painted on.

That said, the colouring is pretty good, nice and subtle. The greebling on the Cocytus also fixed the original issues I had about the lines on that long thin section. Don't feel you have to have a unified colour; Junk Pirates, for instance, have colours all across the spectrum with zero cares given. Also while the lighting on the Cocytus is absolutely gorgeous, it's advised you don't do that, namely because if the area of the light get's destroyed, it looks really weird when the 'glow' from the light is still there. There are ways of putting in lights and glows physically, but it's a long, annoying process that someone with more graphics credentials than me could explian. Overall it's a pretty nice improvement on an already beautiful design.

Kaucukovnik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 07:30:57 AM »

Update!

I'm basically stealing color palette from Perihelion (http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/perihelion/screenshots). Strongly recommended, by the way. A somewhat obtuse and difficult, but quite short and incredibly atmospheric post-apocalyptic horror RPG.

Twisted ships need twisted pilots:

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 07:39:34 AM »

Cool update. _Borg (Startrek) flashbacks intensifies._
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC
Pages: [1] 2 3