Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The Toybox  (Read 51215 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
The Toybox
« on: November 15, 2016, 10:32:48 AM »

This is a hub for all of my resources, tutorials and smaller mods on the forum, that were cluttering my signature.

Unknown Skies: Essentially implementing into the randomly generated sectors a good part of the Texture Pack down bellow.

Target Practice: A small collection of passive simulator meat-ships to test out your ship loadouts againt.

Fleet Tester: Another utility mod this time to test whole fleets in easy to setup and modify battle scenarios, without restarting the game each time.

Upgraded Rotary Weapons: An utility mod modifying the vanilla rotary weapons with a smoother animation and spin-down.

Lightshow: An utility mod modifying the vanilla beams to better differentiate them.

Seeker: A wip mod that ultimately aims to add some mystery to the Sector by adding unique and very scripted encounters with unknown objects.

Kitbash database: A collection of some weapon-less vanilla ships for easier kitbashing.

Spriting Timelapse: A collection of sped-up recordings from some spriting streams.

Texture Pack for New Systems: A collection of planet, ring and background textures.
Also includes a tutorial on how to convert space pictures into painterly somewhat Starsector-friendly backgrounds.

Paint-job Tutorial: A presentation of a Photoshop technique allowing to easily create various paint jobs for a ship.
Also provides a lot of tips and spriting techniques.

Animation Tutorial: An tutorial about the specifics of sprite animation in the context of Starsector.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 02:57:47 AM by Tartiflette »

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Toybox
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 10:43:16 PM »

Heh, I clicked on the SEEKER link and got all kinds of excited looking at the spoilers before I noticed the [0.65.2a] in the title.
Seems really promising.

On a different note, love the layout and design of your OP here, I'm assuming you do this kind of stuff for a living.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 12:39:08 AM »

I %1000 understand not updating Seeker right before the procedural sector update comes out, which Alex is probably gonna be releasing any time now..
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 01:12:14 AM »

Thanks, and yes I'm waiting 0.8 to start the real implementation of Seeker. I also was pretty much booked with the big Scyan update for the pas 9 months. Still, I have a fair amount of content ready for it so we'll see how that goes. As for the OP, I'm not really doing that for a living but I have had some bits of formation and understanding. (If you are curious, I'm an animator in the VFX industry) Plus I find it pleasing to make, it's so satisfying to have a tidy eye-catching presentation.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 01:19:28 PM by Tartiflette »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 12:56:05 PM »

Plus I find it pleasing to make, it's so satisfying to have a tidy eye-catching presentation.
i know that feeling. even as someone who can't do any professional art, making things look shiny and clean is just really satisfying.

...digitally, at least. for some reason i'm always too lazy to put the same amount of time and effort into making things look nice irl. ^^