Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Grim Visage Of Space Pirate Ivaylo  (Read 16817 times)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
The Grim Visage Of Space Pirate Ivaylo
« on: November 12, 2016, 12:45:03 PM »

Blog post here.

Volken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: The Grim Visage Of Space Pirate Ivaylo
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 01:18:11 PM »

Very nice! If you need any more real-life pictures for inspiration let me know, I'd love to send in mine! :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:26:53 PM by Volken »

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »

Those new portraits are pretty awesome, making a new character i always get stuck on choosing what one i want >.<

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 01:30:33 PM »

Ah, he "blame-ivaylo" tag never gets old. :)

Excellent heads, we'll turn you into a Collector soon enough!
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »

Very nice, I like it. Ivaylo should think about wearing red glowing glasses :)
For the video, next time it would be great if you could find a way to stabilize the picture in a central position. All the camera jumping made it hard to follow the process.

Now that there are more and more portraits, can we still choose all of them for our character, or will some be held back for plot/worldbuilding/exploration purposes?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 05:01:14 PM »

Very nice, I like it. Ivaylo should think about wearing red glowing glasses :)
For the video, next time it would be great if you could find a way to stabilize the picture in a central position. All the camera jumping made it hard to follow the process.

Now that there are more and more portraits, can we still choose all of them for our character, or will some be held back for plot/worldbuilding/exploration purposes?

I work by jumping around and zooming in and out, so it's hard to avoid. Even doing the timelapse made me a bit self-conscious about what I was doing. I was thinking, however, it'd be cool to have a like frame-in-shot of the overall image at a standard resolution to show how it's progressing - which I in fact do on a second monitor at 25% scale so I know what the image looks like at final size. And/or next time I do this I'll probably do a higher frame capture rate and higher delay between frames for the final video to make it easier to follow what's going on. 10 seconds is a lot of time to do per-frame so a lot of the detail of what I was doing was missed even if the overall picture (as it were) can be seen.

In conclusion, I'll try some stuff :)

As for portraits: Most will be available. Some will not for reasons which are, naturally, REDACTED.

Ah, the "blame-ivaylo" tag never gets old. :)

Yes! It's all his fault.

Those new portraits are pretty awesome, making a new character i always get stuck on choosing what one i want >.<

Awesome, thank you.

Very nice! If you need any more real-life pictures for inspiration let me know, I'd love to send in mine! :D

Haha - if I start doing this, I'm pretty sure I'd become inundated with pictures. Maybe someday Alex will run some kind of contest or something? (But I bet Alex hates contests -- they'd just distract him from working on Starsector!)

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 05:12:09 PM »

That's some really good  portraiting you've done there - I don't think many people really appreciate how much work goes into the little faces of people you're going to blow up. You've done an amazing job, and you should be proud of your accomplishments.

One little question, if I may - are we going to see portraits of people who look horribly ugly, elderly or disfigured by scars and disease? In the blog post you said you were aiming for an inclusive, non-hollywood style take on the population, but I feel you've self defeated that by having portraits with nice clean skin. One or two guys have scars (The space chick comes to mind regarding injuries), but overall it seems too clean. After all, this is during the fall of humanity in space - shouldn't there be diseases rife throughout the sector? I wouldn't mind seeing a portrait or two where you go 'Holy moly that's one salty old bastard', and you can believe that he earned that 700 K bounty.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 05:30:00 PM »

That's some really good  portraiting you've done there - I don't think many people really appreciate how much work goes into the little faces of people you're going to blow up. You've done an amazing job, and you should be proud of your accomplishments.

Hey, thanks!

One little question, if I may - are we going to see portraits of people who look horribly ugly, elderly or disfigured by scars and disease? In the blog post you said you were aiming for an inclusive, non-hollywood style take on the population, but I feel you've self defeated that by having portraits with nice clean skin. One or two guys have scars (The space chick comes to mind regarding injuries), but overall it seems too clean. After all, this is during the fall of humanity in space - shouldn't there be diseases rife throughout the sector? I wouldn't mind seeing a portrait or two where you go 'Holy moly that's one salty old bastard', and you can believe that he earned that 700 K bounty.

I think you're absolutely correct in this comment. Probably mostly my feeling tentative about drawing people who are really messed up and (lesser) - a portrait with really unique injuries would stand out when the set is so small. But now that we're up to *checks* 57 human portraits plus my cat, it's probably safe to start diversifying a bit.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 05:50:09 PM »

31 portraits in the version all us plebs have been playing—you've been busy! :D

If Starsector ever gets an alien race or two, I'm looking forward to seeing you do their portraits!

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 11:56:34 PM »

I must say, that attention to detail, experimentation and elaboration on the process is quite good.

Thanks for all your hard work too!
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 12:11:25 AM »

[...] human portraits [...]
Wait WHAT?

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 04:51:26 AM »

[...] human portraits [...]
Wait WHAT?

Well, yeah, he still have the cat portraits to do.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 06:58:37 AM »

That's cool - thanks for sharing.

Also great to see Ivaylo again :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 07:17:16 AM »

I wish to be Captain Cat on a space adventure!

Heh, that aside, the time lapse was really cool David. Honestly, It's impressive how well you draw portraits.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Psycho Society

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 12:07:04 PM »

Ivaylo kinda looks like Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
Pages: [1] 2