Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What do you think of the new hyperspace terrain? Does it look bad?

Yes
- 3 (5.4%)
No
- 35 (62.5%)
Funny
- 6 (10.7%)
Somewhat Yes
- 4 (7.1%)
Somewhat No
- 5 (8.9%)
Not Sure
- 3 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Regarding the new hyperspace terrain Alex is trying to implement  (Read 14070 times)

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the new hyperspace terrain Alex is trying to implement
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 09:00:05 PM »

Haha, that poll title is rather aggressive!

I mean, it is obvious that it is based around a spiral pattern but that doesn't bother me all that much. In the end Hyperspace simply needs to connect the interesting areas (the solar systems) with each other—I don't imagine you'll be spending much time there unless Alex greatly expands upon it.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 09:38:48 PM »

Oh wow that could be awesome.
Spiralling clouds in hyperspace, with spokes that periodically line up to give quick passage.

No idea if this thread is a joke, or a reference to some blog post I haven't read; just saw the pic & thought interesting!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 09:53:05 PM »

Spiralling clouds in hyperspace, with spokes that periodically line up to give quick passage.

No idea if this thread is a joke, or a reference to some blog post I haven't read; just saw the pic & thought interesting!
It is from Alex's Twitter. I'm hoping that when we start a new game, we will be able to choose how dense/ how many stars there are
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

sycspysycspy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 09:58:45 PM »

It is from Alex's Twitter. I'm hoping that when we start a new game, we will be able to choose how dense/ how many stars there are

I don't enjoy hyper space that much, it cost my fleet tons of fuel and supplies.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 10:05:17 PM »

(Edited the poll for language, per forum rules etc. Ahem.)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 10:19:35 PM »

The map's got some nice clustering going on. Spiral pattern looks a little too clean.

sycspysycspy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 10:51:10 PM »

(Edited the poll for language, per forum rules etc. Ahem.)
That S word does not mean "bad", it really look like that thing... ;D

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 11:06:56 PM »

The more interesting question is if hyperspace changes at all. A spiral would be a good base for continous movement.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 12:25:55 AM »

The one thing I want to know now is, is the generation code moddable?

On the topic, I think the big issue I have with this particular instance is the lack of mid-range details. You have the large spiral path with the radial passages, you have tiny accidents to make them less regular... But the only somewhat mid-scale perturbations to the base shapes are those two areas on the top left and to the right. I think the whole thing needs more variations from the base shape to make it look less procadural-ish. But if the tech is in there, it's just tweaking the thing until it work so I'm confident we will get something good in the end.

[edit] I think part of the artificial look also comes from the fact that it is a single spiral. It would look more natural with two, or three arms I think.

[edit2] That poll could use a standard 5 answers: Yes, somewhat yes, don't know/ not sure, somewhat no, no.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:36:45 AM by Tartiflette »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 05:17:43 AM »

Yep, the spiral pattern is a bit too obvious, but it's otherwise pretty good, especially the center and "north-west" area. Also, some of these systems are going to be hell to reach, better stock up on tankers.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 05:58:37 AM »

At a glance, the pattern resembles an occult symbol, before the circle or spiraling became obvious.

I don't enjoy hyper space that much, it cost my fleet tons of fuel and supplies.
Short of trying to board a rare ship, I save scum the most in hyperspace.  Storms are a scrappy mechanic for me.  Get caught deep in one, and your fleet is ruined!  Might as well be game over or fleet wipe.  Even Navigation 10 (which I never get anymore outside of cheat games) does not help enough.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 06:00:01 AM »

Does this mean hyperspace will now be generated around whatever mod systems are present?

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 06:39:50 AM »

I'm more interested in HOW MANY SYSTEMS there are. Good lord I'm pumped for this update.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 07:06:08 AM »

the spiral/circle looks nice, but (in in-universe logic) it seems a bit strange that hyperspace terrain would form a clear pattern with those stars at the center that, i assume, are the ones humans consider as 'core systems'. unless hyperspace terrain is somehow generated/shaped by human activity, or the Domain deliberately chose the center of this pattern as starting point of colonization efforts?

the pattern could help a bit with navigation, but i think in that regard it would be better if it was shaped like a spiral galaxy with several arms. like "i remember that one system i wanted to return to was the red star just below the middle of the 'southern' arm", without having to look at a list of visited systems or something like that.

I'm more interested in HOW MANY SYSTEMS there are. Good lord I'm pumped for this update.
Alex did mention on twitter "Experimenting to see how much the engine can handle, how much feels right, etc. This would be on the high end of said experiments". so it might well end up with a smaller number by the time we get our hands on it. still quiiite a bit more than we've had so far, though. ^^
Pages: [1] 2 3