Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Star Control Origins for 2017—made by Stardock.  (Read 6549 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Star Control Origins for 2017—made by Stardock.
« on: October 18, 2016, 12:04:47 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ntg47q_cM

So whatcha all think? I know Star Control was a big inspiration for Starsector (I haven't actually played any Star Controls).

Seems pretty colorful and cartoony but might be a fun if the combat is good.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Star Control Origins for 2017—made by Stardock.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:30:13 PM »

The best part was always about how you never know what would happen, and each encounter was as different as the next.

Lets hope they can pull that off...

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:25:42 AM »

IMO the best (or at least most memorable) part of Star Control was its world building, with all these funky alien species and their diverse, interconnected back stories. This game is legally unable to use any of that, if it can create something of similar impact seems doubtful.

Even though Stardock has the naming and publishing rights to the Star Control franchise, it does not have the rights to use any of the Star Control aliens or story material in the first two games.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 05:12:37 AM »

Thus the prequel "Origins" theme I suppose.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 12:14:42 PM »

wasn't stardock the company whose ceo jumped on the harassing zoe quin bandwagon, and is a massive douchecanoe and openly offered to hire artists based on their involvement in the anti-women-in-videogames movement?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 05:25:47 PM »

wasn't stardock the company whose ceo jumped on the harassing zoe quin bandwagon, and is a massive douchecanoe and openly offered to hire artists based on their involvement in the anti-women-in-videogames movement?

Wuwuwut?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 01:44:23 AM »

Wasn't that a load of... hum, not-reality-based accusations from some Gaming media? There are so many stories about this guy, they tell everything and their exact opposite.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 08:59:02 AM »

Probably best not to clutter the thread with gamergate stuff. For or against. Just throwing that out there.

I loved starcon3. Kind of an anomaly that way. Need to get in and play ur-quan masters one of these days. From what I have seen in my limited experience I can tell you that it is such a rad game.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »

Oh man oh man oh man  ;D

I just wish the original developer, Toys for Bob, was making it. They tried making a petition to their publisher to get permission, but instead they keep getting assigned spyro dragon games and stuff. It's their baby and they've been wanting to do a sequel since starcon 2 forever ago.

I hate starcon 3 because it killed the series until now. Yeah, assign a different developer and have them make a game 100% different from the original cult classic.... smart... it could actually be decent but it was a mistake regardless.

Stardock is an alright company. I'm not crazy about anything that they've made, but nothing seems terrible at least. I think given that there's more pressure, interest, and financial investment into this one (buying the rights), so we can expect something a cut above the usual 'that looks fine.' They have been releasing some space games since their purchase of starcon in 2013 and before as well, so they shouldn't be swamped with investing all their time in behind the scenes architecture vs fun gameplay/story/art.

I'm hopeful but not too hopeful.