Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tri-tachyon Corporation Ships  (Read 17816 times)

korda

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Tri-tachyon Corporation Ships
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:44:42 AM »

So I played Starsector couple of times (with mods and without), usually playing long enough to gather huge fleet with some nice capital ship as my flagship. It was usually one-two longer games per SS version. In Vanilla I almost always tried to befriend Hegemony. I did this in current version too. However some time after that I decided to play again and I joined their enemies - Tri-tachyon Corporation, hoping to get access to high tech ships and weaponry.

So... My thoughts so far:

• it's very hard to get decent ships from tri-tachyon military. most of the frigates I wanted to fly required so high rating with them, that when I could get one for me, it was already too late (since I had to fly destroyer at least, to make huge enough impact on battle result)
  • ships are bit weird and very fragile. you buy destroyer-priced frigate and now you have to babysit the AI so it won't die easily burning your money (ofc, I know, at some point, money stops being a problem... but then finding rare frigate again can be a problem)
  • I saw maybe one officer for hire on all of tri-tachyon stations in a few hours game... most of my officers come from independents and I have maybe 5? (as Hegemony I easily reached my officer cap).  I don't know if this was just bad luck or something intended
  • cruiser/battleship options seem somehow limited (or perhaps bad). Odyssey is slow and lacks more firepower (or more flight decks?) Aurora would be actually quite nice if it wasn't pretending to be the best cruiser in-game (it costs too much for what it gives), Apogee lacks frontal firepower. Did I mention that it took me a while to even find any kind of cruiser in their markets? (my first was venture)
  • weapon choice was not too impressive too. apart from some cool options for medium energy weapons everything was lacking (I had real hard time finding decent large energy weapon)

It kinda feels like their ships have been fiddled with too much to make them weirder/more interesting and now they lack real workhorses that are simple and can just get the job done without too much experimenting with hullmods, weapons and officer personalities.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:52:12 AM by korda »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tri-tachyon Corporation Ships
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 01:21:29 PM »

My problem with Tri-Tachyon is I sometimes get a glut of midline ships that will not disappear from market fast enough unless I buy out the whole market (and then they restock several more Hammerheads and other undesirables).  The point of joining Tri-Tachyon is getting the nice frigates, Medusa, and Paragon (and phase ships and underperforming cruisers), but many of the ships I see are something I can find for sale anywhere else.  Also access to more heavy blasters and some other weapons (but Tri-Tachyon does not sell very many HVDs, the best medium kinetic).  Currently, Hegemony is the best for weapon shopping (due to so many military markets).

P.S.  I also get frustrated that Tri-Tachyon sometimes simply refuses to sell Hyperion, Scarab, or Tempest for nearly the entire game.  Makes me want to attack their fleets (with transponder off) and save-scum until they cough one up for boarding.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:24:56 PM by Megas »

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 02:17:08 PM »

if u think tri-tachyon ships are frustrating, do NOT try blackrock ..... the good ships in that faction are even rarer.

as for tri-tachyon: medusa alone makes TT worthwhile
and ...... tachyon lances alone might make it worthwhile

a paragon with 2 tachyon lances (or 4 if ur desperate enough is a VERY mean killing machine)
even with blackrock, imperium, shadowyards, scy, etc. to choose from tri is still my favourite faction
(blackrock is very tempting but the maneuverability penalty for blackrock engines is toooo high especially since their ships r so vulnerable to missile fire to begin with and their flux management is very difficult)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 02:30:41 PM »

Medusa is fairly common (though not as much as Enforcer or Hammerhead) or at least not too rare, and can be found at Independents if Tri-Tachyon is not an option.  As nice as Medusa is, it cannot solo gigantic death fleets on its own.  For that, I need Dominator, Onslaught, or Paragon.  As for tachyon lances, they are nothing special ever since their range was gutted down to 1000.  Tachyon Lance was fun when they could hit things across the map.  Now, much rather use other options (like autopulse or plasma cannon) that can hit for hard flux if blocked.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 06:39:04 PM »

Well don't think we were meant to use only ships from one faction. Even the tri-tacyon fleets use midline ships very often.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 07:13:40 PM »

Well don't think we were meant to use only ships from one faction. Even the tri-tacyon fleets use midline ships very often.
Well, they need to stock more HVDs and the good weapons.

Also, Hammerhead is bad - a junk ship.  Sunder is fun, but not top-tier.  Falcon is a basically a poor man's Medusa - okay, but not great - that can use HVD/Mauler/beams.  Eagle is good, but really needs those HVDs and Maulers to shine, which Tri-Tachyon does not stock much of.

Also, if I want more midline ships, I should stick with Hegemony.  They have XIV midline and the best access to everything except high-tech ships and heavy blasters.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 07:51:12 PM »

Well, they need to stock more HVDs and the good weapons.

Why, how many of the Tri-Tachyon specific ships can even mount HVDs?
I mean if you want to outfit an Eagle or some such with the best kinetic weapons you would rather go for Hegemony markets anyway since they have the best weapon selection and the XIV variant.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 08:24:56 PM »

Why, how many of the Tri-Tachyon specific ships can even mount HVDs?
I mean if you want to outfit an Eagle or some such with the best kinetic weapons you would rather go for Hegemony markets anyway since they have the best weapon selection and the XIV variant.
High-tech ships aside from Paragon cannot, but the glut of midline ships (i.e., Hammerhead/Falcon/Eagle plus Gemini/Heron) Tri-Tachyon sometimes likes to overstock do.

Tri-Tachyon does not use high-tech exclusively like they did in the 0.5x days.  They use a blend of high-tech and midline, plus a few low-tech frigates like Lasher and maybe Cerberus.

I would go to the Hegemony if I could, but Tri-Tachyon commission prevents that.  Actually, I need Hegemony commission to get almost anything good from them which, again, not possible with active Tri-Tachyon commission.  The best I can do is visit their Black Markets, but they all seem to have the same staple weapons used by pirates (like LAG, pulse lasers, phase lance, heavy mauler).

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 09:09:42 PM »

Well don't think we were meant to use only ships from one faction.

whether ur 'meant' to use ships from more than 1 faction or not ...... with commissions required its close to impossible

torbes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 09:55:27 PM »

in a more perfect world there would be viable options from the other 2 factions, no?

korda

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 10:09:40 PM »

Well don't think we were meant to use only ships from one faction.

whether ur 'meant' to use ships from more than 1 faction or not ...... with commissions required its close to impossible

Especially after my Tri-tachyon Corporation decided to start war with almost everyone (and I was just getting some nice relations with Sindirian Dictat :< ).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 06:03:52 AM »

With commission required by major factions, you can only buy useful ships and weapons from Independents and one major faction you are commissioned with.  If you decide to play without any commission, then Independents are your only option.  (If you want pirate hardware, Black Market is always an option.)

Currently, Hegemony offers the most.  Tri-Tachyon offers high-tech ships and some weapons.  Sindrians offer Conquest (which Independents can stock too) and some Hegemony (A) ships.  Luddic Church offers nothing unique (and their lone system is in a corner of nowhere).

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 10:26:59 PM »

Tri-Tachyon does not use high-tech exclusively like they did in the 0.5x days.

I kind of miss those days. Each faction felt entirely unique, as intended. I know that it fits the lore that every group use whatever ship they can get their hands on due to autofactories and such but it makes everyone feel so bland. Where's the fun fighting TT when Diktat has the exact same ships? Where's the fun joining a high-tech faction and expect cool lasers and blasters only to see the market is filled with low-or midtech ships?

It's the same with pirates. They don't have any ships unique to their group, they only use standard lowtech ships that you find all over the place couple with a few D variants. Fits the setting that Alex set up, yes, but also boring.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 04:13:43 PM »

make tritachyon high tech again two zero one six

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »