Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander; anyone played it?  (Read 1571 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander; anyone played it?
« on: September 23, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »

Interested in it, but unsure if I want to pay full whack.

Anyone able to convince, or dissuade me from getting it?

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander; anyone played it?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 09:07:14 PM »

Keep in mind that it's not finished. I mean obviously some games are worth buying in this state (starsector). Edit: At least it wasn't finished when I played it lol

I really liked some aspects, but not others. Resource gathering, at least with how I played, requires micromanaging. Go here! Okay, no go this next star! Make the rounds, go home, do something at the base, take off. I ended up having two fleets. One just gathered resources, and the other one handled threats - and sometimes resources too if they're nearby. It's really about flying from star to star to gather resources until threats pop up. It might not be so bad if they were different stars, but you'll find yourself flying in the same circle repeatedly while waiting for threats and the story to progress.

The combat was funner than I expected. I generally don't like combat that makes me think of final fantasy. The combo system does make you think tactfully, yet it's no so reliable that you memorize a formula and stick to it every fight. You'll have to make important decisions spontaneously. It's fun.

The base management is pretty eh. It's not like it matters where you put what rooms, for instance.

It's fun. I wouldn't pay 20 bucks for it though.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:10:30 PM by AgroFrizzy »