Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Orbital Stations in Combat  (Read 96237 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Orbital Stations in Combat
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2016, 09:04:48 AM »

Well, we haven't seen any Changelog yet. That means either the update process has been such a mess this time around it is hard to write one (always a possibility when coding  :D), or that the content would be highly spoilery and Alex wants us to discover those things in-game. If that second case is true, I doubt we will have another blog post. Or maybe another Art/Lore/Music post from David or Stian?

Unless it is a post about the new skill system but I think that kind of change has to be experimented firsthand, as armchair theory-crafting will probably leads to needlessly heated debates in the comments.

Probe1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 20, 2016, 11:23:17 AM »

As stimulating and hype building as this blog was, it takes so long to get ideas into released content that I forget about this game for months at a time.  I'll come back, as I did just now, and see 1-2 really enticing blogs.

But no content.  So I disappear again.

Good luck with the game as always!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 22, 2016, 02:41:41 AM »

Ha! I just remembered another big issue we had with Twiglib that could crop up eventually if you ever try to do something different with modules: Initially we used "fighters" held in place to create breakable armor/modules, but one issue with them turned out to be that they are drawn on top of the ship and weapons (and some fighters). Given the size of some mod weapons, that would make modules unusable on any host ship that has modular weapons. This is obviously not an issue with stations since the core is unarmed, but any other use I can think of will encounter this same problem.

Of course the solution we used for Twiglib is still valid: the displayed armors blocs are in fact a decorative weapon on the ship with an invisible "fighter" on top that get hit by the projectiles. And that fighter only becomes visible when destroyed, just as the decorative weapon get hidden, and it is released with a quick push away. But that still is a somewhat cumbersome solution.

So unless you already thought about that, I'm wondering if we could someday get some tags to change the rendering order of modules? Bellow the host's weapons, maybe also bellow the host itself too if someone wants to make un-dockable modules?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 22, 2016, 11:35:57 AM »

Ah, that's a great point, hadn't considered it - as you say, wasn't an issue for stations. I'll have to take a look.

As stimulating and hype building as this blog was, it takes so long to get ideas into released content that I forget about this game for months at a time.  I'll come back, as I did just now, and see 1-2 really enticing blogs.

But no content.  So I disappear again.

Good luck with the game as always!

Fair enough, and thank you!

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2016, 09:57:44 PM »

Hmmm this feature looks awfully familiar  ;D

Nice work Alex!

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2016, 08:11:01 AM »

This feature looks awesome I say. Pew pew.
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 07, 2016, 01:04:22 AM »

Thirteenth day of fasting, my body is weak, but my mind never felt so strong. I'm now deeply attuned to the world around me, feeling it flowing, alive, beautiful... The meditation trance engulf me again, I see blurred visions of the future, a feeling of ecstasy submerge my soul as I can see... I see it! The divine goal of this endeavor. Immaculate and bathed in light... But yet again I'm denied the honor of laying my eyes upon its content. The trance recess and I'm now deaf to the world again. Day thirteen of fasting, and the Holy Changelog still eludes me.

Maybe I should ask my friend to try and read it in tea leaves again.

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 07, 2016, 01:12:54 AM »

Thirteenth day of fasting, my body is weak, but my mind never felt so strong. I'm now deeply attuned to the world around me, feeling it flowing, alive, beautiful... The meditation trance engulf me again, I see blurred visions of the future, a feeling of ecstasy submerge my soul as I can see... I see it! The divine goal of this endeavor. Immaculate and bathed in light... But yet again I'm denied the honor of laying my eyes upon its content. The trance recess and I'm now deaf to the world again. Day thirteen of fasting, and the Holy Changelog still eludes me.

Maybe I should ask my friend to try and read it in tea leaves again.

Are you high?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 07, 2016, 07:55:49 AM »

Alex has indeed entered silent running mode for nearly two weeks now. Granted, there isn't much to talk about what with the last patch being many months ago and no new blog post in awhile.

I surely do hope we can get the patch before 2017...

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 07, 2016, 08:43:05 AM »

Alex has indeed entered silent running mode for nearly two weeks now. Granted, there isn't much to talk about what with the last patch being many months ago and no new blog post in awhile.

I surely do hope we can get the patch before 2017...
The update?  I doubt it.  Changelog?  Maybe, depending on how generous Alex is feeling. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 07, 2016, 10:34:25 AM »

Thirteenth day of fasting, my body is weak
beautiful.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 07, 2016, 10:36:01 AM »

Mainly just working on stuff that's awkward to talk about without spoiling - exploration related content, procedural generation, etc. I mean, "here's some of the things you might find", I don't really want to do that. (Side note: the new game dialog now has more options pertaining to Sector creation!)

Very much aware that I need to write  new blog post soon, though. There's a good candidate for it but it's not done, though it's next on the list after I finish up the current thing - so will probably write about that if it works out, or about procgen in more general terms if it doesn't.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 07, 2016, 12:34:10 PM »

Mainly just working on stuff that's awkward to talk about without spoiling - exploration related content, procedural generation, etc. I mean, "here's some of the things you might find", I don't really want to do that. (Side note: the new game dialog now has more options pertaining to Sector creation!)

Very much aware that I need to write  new blog post soon, though. There's a good candidate for it but it's not done, though it's next on the list after I finish up the current thing - so will probably write about that if it works out, or about procgen in more general terms if it doesn't.

Since vanilla is leaning more and more towards non-static content, is there any chance of eventually implementing late-game use of the jump gates to effectively re-roll the sector in new game plus mode by jumping to a new, randomized sector?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 07, 2016, 02:43:34 PM »

You should generate Hyperspace in a way that creates sort of "Hyperspace Highways"—channels and lanes through the deep clouds that the AI often uses to get from one cluster of systems to another. Would be neat to see and help players hunt.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 07, 2016, 04:09:35 PM »

You should generate Hyperspace in a way that creates sort of "Hyperspace Highways"—channels and lanes through the deep clouds that the AI often uses to get from one cluster of systems to another. Would be neat to see and help players hunt.
Especially with the new hyperspace stuff. Otherwise it is gonna take forever to get from one start cluster to another and cost an arm and a leg as well
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15