Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Orbital Stations in Combat  (Read 96257 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Orbital Stations in Combat
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 01:40:28 PM »

*squeals happily like a damn schoolgirl*
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 01:40:31 PM »

This blog post has pulled me from the void.

I'm soooo excited for the next update. Take your time. Or share something that still needs a hotfix down the month or whatever.

I don't care. It's going to be great. You should email rock paper shotgun once this is done, because they would love this. They're huge fans of star control II anyways.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 01:47:10 PM »

Good stuff! You were really certain to mention that we all should keep our hype-thrusters at sane levels, but I still can't help but get excited about future implications!

So modules—what do you have in mind? Obviously we'll see weapon platform modules and you mentioned armor modules but how about shield modules, fighter bay modules and modules that act like the capturable sats in larger battles? The possibilities!

I'd imagine that an outpost couldn't be destroyed if there was an active station in orbit?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »

What if the primary station piece is the only module with weapons left, is it invincible?

Do missiles benefit from the Targeting Supercomputer? (e.g. flight time increase)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 02:07:08 PM »

Wow. I was hoping they'd come eventually, but I really didn't expect stations in the game for the next update! Love the modular implementation, a bit of Battleships Forever vibe going on here. But judging from the ancient sprite (can't believe its finally getting used!) that was planned from the veeery beginning.

Also, Scy is suddenly the best prepared mod for the coming update ;D

I tiny nitpick: Seeing "ISS Götterdämmerung" spelled with "o" and "a" makes my eyes twitch :'(

What if the primary station piece is the only module with weapons left, is it invincible?

It doesn't have weapons.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 02:15:34 PM »

Heh what roller-coaster ride development of Starsector is  ;D  Now, at this moment, I feel like we are heading so high and when next patch hit download section we will be at that point in ride when going down at 80 degrees angle is only option  ;D

I don't know if anybody mentioned, but that stations looks a bit... small?  David wasn't you a bit hungry while drawing that sprite?

:P
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 02:19:11 PM »

Fighters are now ship weapons that can be built in, meaning unique carrier builds with special fighters are possible.

Stations are "ships" in the essential ways.

;D ;D ;D ..(Oh right, hype train moderation:)  :)  :)  :)

Indeed!

any chance of getting a glimpse into the file structure changes? At this point they have to be... well I'd rather not think about it. ha.

I can post something in the modding subforum if there are enough to warrant it, but even things like "removed these columns in wing_data.csv, added these 3 columns for stations in ship_data.csv" and that sort of stuff would help all us excited modders get up to speed quickly

wing_data.csv is... well, it's definitely different, but it's a small file and the stuff is straightforward. I wouldn't worry too much about that one.

For station modules, there's a "STATION_MODULE" weapon slot type, and in the .variant files, you can slot other variants into it, like so:
Code: json
"weaponGroups": [{
        "autofire": false,
        "mode": "LINKED",
        "weapons": {
            "WS 001": "platform1_Standard",
            "WS 002": "platform1_Standard",
            "WS 003": "platform1_Standard",
            "WS 004": "platform1_Standard"
        }
    }]

No nesting, iirc, so the plaforms can't themselves have more modules.

*squeals happily like a damn schoolgirl*
This blog post has pulled me from the void.

I'm soooo excited for the next update. Take your time. Or share something that still needs a hotfix down the month or whatever.

I don't care. It's going to be great. You should email rock paper shotgun once this is done, because they would love this. They're huge fans of star control II anyways.

Thank you! Hype-support much appreciated :)

So modules—what do you have in mind? Obviously we'll see weapon platform modules and you mentioned armor modules but how about shield modules, fighter bay modules and modules that act like the capturable sats in larger battles? The possibilities!

I'd imagine that an outpost couldn't be destroyed if there was an active station in orbit?

All good questions, but the answers are all of the "I couldn't possibly comment at this time" variety. Sorry!

(Obviously, thinking about all these - as mentioned in the blog post, there are some fairly natural implications stemming from the mechanics - but I don't want to speculate too much without being more confident they'll pan out.)

The primary piece of the station isn't considered a "module". If it's designed to have weapons on it, it should also not have the built-in hullmod ("vast bulk") that makes it invincible. So, basically: no, unless the content is created incorrectly.

Do missiles benefit from the Targeting Supercomputer? (e.g. flight time increase)

They do not, no.

But judging from the ancient sprite (can't believe its finally getting used!) that was planned from the veeery beginning.

How's that for some long-term planning? :)

I tiny nitpick: Seeing "ISS Götterdämmerung" spelled with "o" and "a" makes my eyes twitch :'(

I'm, uh, going to blame that one on David. But as long as we're here, I always wondered about this: how acceptable is it to use "oe", "ae", etc in place of umlauts, in otherwise-English text, i.e. "goetterdaemerrung"? Is the degree of eye-twitching more or less than from dropping the umlaut entirely? And a related bonus question: for a native-German mindset, are o and ö "same letter but one has an umlaut" or "different letters entirely"? (There's a similar situation in Russian, and they're very much different letters to the point of both being in the alphabet, but from what I remember of highschool German, the alphabet doesn't include the umlauted letters...)

Edit: part of the reason I'm asking is it doesn't feel right to include umlauts in English text, right. Because they're not part of English! So of the two workarounds (just omit umlaut, vs omit umlaut and add e) which one is more acceptable?

I don't know if anybody mentioned, but that stations looks a bit... small?  David wasn't you a bit hungry while drawing that sprite?

Oh, you.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:23:01 PM by Alex »

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 02:22:43 PM »

Good to know about peak effectiveness, you answered the question I was failing to properly ask haha

Wow this update is going to be huge!  :D

Also, in the 1+1=2 category:

Fighters are now ship weapons that can be built in, meaning unique carrier builds with special fighters are possible.

Stations are "ships" in the essential ways.

;D ;D ;D ..(Oh right, hype train moderation:)  :)  :)  :)

Alright I have to ask,

any chance of getting a glimpse into the file structure changes? At this point they have to be... well I'd rather not think about it. ha.

I can post something in the modding subforum if there are enough to warrant it, but even things like "removed these columns in wing_data.csv, added these 3 columns for stations in ship_data.csv" and that sort of stuff would help all us excited modders get up to speed quickly

Speaking of 1+1=2....if fighters are ship weapons and bases are fancy ships with range extension, how do fighters work on bases? I love the idea of a hangar base with a bunch (10+) of wings of fighters. I'm assuming they get extreme range, do they get any other benefits?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2016, 02:24:53 PM »

Speaking of 1+1=2....if fighters are ship weapons and bases are fancy ships with range extension, how do fighters work on bases? I love the idea of a hangar base with a bunch (10+) of wings of fighters. I'm assuming they get extreme range, do they get any other benefits?

Well, those don't actually exist at the moment, so no comment on any of the points. I wouldn't necessarily assume extra range; that could go either way.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2016, 02:35:12 PM »

Thus: station modules are fitted with a “targeting supercomputer” that triples weapon range, with the exception of non-beam point defense weapons – a Flak Cannon with that sort of range turned out to be a bit ridiculous. The supercomputer also improves weapon accuracy, to help with scoring hits at extreme ranges.
How would this work for (small) assault weapons, like IR pulse laser or railgun, that become enabled for PD via IPDAI hullmod?

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2016, 02:36:36 PM »

It’s got station-keeping thrusters to move it back into position in the event it’s moved away by a collision or some such, and that’s about it.

The first thing i want to try is to push it out of the map with the Scarab temporal shell, just for the hell of it.

First question : Does the AI ignore the indestructible body and focus on the modules? I wouldn't want my allies to waste their torpedoes on an unkillable target.

Second question : Can you use a station as a flagship? I mean, outside of devmode, when we'll possibly have our own stations and stuff... How would it works? The weapon groups and all?

Anyway, that's really some sweet news for the next update. I'm sure Piranhas bombers are going to love those huge, immobile targets.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 02:42:01 PM »

How would this work for (small) assault weapons, like IR pulse laser or railgun, that become enabled for PD via IPDAI hullmod?

They'd only get +50% with IPDAI.

The first thing i want to try is to push it out of the map with the Scarab temporal shell, just for the hell of it.

Tried it because I'm paranoid; thankfully doesn't work at all. The station has a high mass and high acceleration for the thrusters, so it doesn't even budge.

First question : Does the AI ignore the indestructible body and focus on the modules? I wouldn't want my allies to waste their torpedoes on an unkillable target.

Yeah, the AI doesn't target it and views it as an obstruction to line-of-fire.

Second question : Can you use a station as a flagship? I mean, outside of devmode, when we'll possibly have our own stations and stuff... How would it works? The weapon groups and all?

You can't transfer command to a station. If you could (i.e. for a hypothetical ship with modules) the modules would run their own AI.

Anyway, that's really some sweet news for the next update. I'm sure Piranhas bombers are going to love those huge, immobile targets.

Yeah! Torpedoes work nicely, too, because even a miss often impacts the body nearby, and while that's invincible, the splash damage still gets the module.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2016, 02:42:24 PM »

Another one:  Shield ramming with Monitor for massive damage like when Monitor first appeared and capitals quickly died to shield ramming.

Screamlord Scrub Seeker™

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2016, 02:44:02 PM »

Another potential use is – and I mention this only because I’m sure you’re already thinking about it – a special ship using these module mechanics. If nothing else, I’d be surprised if somebody didn’t mod that in, and if they did, there’d be UI support for refitting it.

i can feel tartiflette's hype from here

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »

Another one:  Shield ramming with Monitor for massive damage like when Monitor first appeared and capitals quickly died to shield ramming.

Nope, also does nothing. (Whew.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15