Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Negative Relationship event repeating. (trigger not being cleared?)  (Read 4280 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I've been gradually increasing my independent rep (from -100), and finally got it up to suspicious so I could take missions from all independent characters.

- I took a couple of independent missions to Killa (from Chicomoztoc; 3000 Domestic Goods, 300+30 Heavy Machinery)
- I then took a single independent(covert) mission to Qaras. (500 organs)
- Then from Qaras I took 2 more missions for the independents back to Killa. (I bought the needed supplies from Qaras' blackmarket; 500 Food & 10 Heavy Machinery)
- Completed the missions to Killa.

I then began getting repeated reputation hits from both the Pirates (due to smuggling), and Independents (due to trade with Qaras).
These reputation hits have occurred 5 times so far; the exact reputation cost seems to be variable.

Save here (made after I'd experienced 2 rep hits, hopefully whatever state is causing them has been saved too)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54785909/starfarer/0.7.2a%20RC3/save_TJJ_1837487541392700808.zip

I suspect the cause might be delivering an independent(covert) mission to a pirate base (to whom I had a positive relationship with)?

:edit:

Just to confirm, I've continued playing after the point that save was made, and the rep hits have continued for months.
The Pirate rep eventually bottomed out at -50 (presumably the lowest you can go with the Pirates 'due to smuggling').
The Independent rep has continued to fall, further into Hostile, eventually bottoming out at -75.
Once bottomed out, the reputation messages stop.

However if my reputation ever increases above these minimums, the rep hit events will begin again.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 04:48:38 PM by TJJ »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (negative) Relationship feedback loop?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 04:30:06 PM »

Any idea what's causing this? and a way to fix my save, as it's essentially broken  :-\
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 04:42:13 PM by TJJ »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Negative Relationship event repeating. (trigger not being cleared?)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 04:43:07 PM »

Ahh, sorry, haven't had a chance to look at it - and unfortunately, the dev version will no longer load saves from the current release, so checking it out is a bit of a pain.

I *think* this has come up before and the rep hits stop eventually, but I'm not 100% sure. Since all of that stuff probably needs a thorough going over anyway (which would obviate any short-term fixes), to be honest, this hasn't been super high priority to look at right now.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 04:50:22 PM »

ok, I'll do some digging of my own  ;)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 06:20:57 PM »

Ok, I think I fixed it [well, the save file at least].

I changed:
Code
<accumulatedPlayerTradeValueForPositive>4409450.5</accumulatedPlayerTradeValueForPositive>
<accumulatedPlayerTradeValueForNegative>4419115.0</accumulatedPlayerTradeValueForNegative>
<totalPlayerTradeValue>4419115.0</totalPlayerTradeValue>

to:

Code
<accumulatedPlayerTradeValueForPositive>0</accumulatedPlayerTradeValueForPositive>
<accumulatedPlayerTradeValueForNegative>0</accumulatedPlayerTradeValueForNegative>
<totalPlayerTradeValue>0</totalPlayerTradeValue>

and deleted the 2 transactions relating to the purchases from Qaras' black market:

Code
<TransactionLineItem id="112947">
<id>food</id>
<itemType>BOUGHT</itemType>
<cargoType>RESOURCES</cargoType>
<submarket class="Submarket" ref="32938"></submarket>
<quantity>436.0</quantity>
<price>4349.0</price>
<tariff>0.0</tariff>
<demandPrice>0.0</demandPrice>
<demandTariff>0.0</demandTariff>
<timestamp>-55048845053000</timestamp>
</TransactionLineItem>

and

Code
<TransactionLineItem id="113022">
<id>heavy_machinery</id>
<itemType>BOUGHT</itemType>
<cargoType>RESOURCES</cargoType>
<submarket class="Submarket" ref="32938"></submarket>
<quantity>10.0</quantity>
<price>1686.0</price>
<tariff>0.0</tariff>
<demandPrice>0.0</demandPrice>
<demandTariff>0.0</demandTariff>
<timestamp>-55048845053000</timestamp>
</TransactionLineItem>

Kind of amazed that I managed to find the pertinent data in a 16MB file! and that changing it had the desired effect.... on my 1st attempt too!

So yeah, it was definitely the blackmarket purchases that caused the problem.
Hopefully that info will help in reproducing it, and locking down what's causing the rep loss of these particular trades to be processed ad infinitum.

It'd be interesting to see if the problem recurs in my save the next time I buy from Qaras' black market.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 06:34:18 PM by TJJ »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 09:52:59 PM »

Nice, glad you managed to sort it out :)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 06:33:35 PM »

Glad I documented how to fix this, as I just ran into it again!

Something peculiar to the relationship interaction when pirate missions target an independent planet (like Killa), when there's a pirate base in the same system.
Or perhaps the reverse; when there's an independent mission that targets a pirate planet (like Qaras), and there's an independent base in the same system.

Hope it's fixed for .8 ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:26:35 PM by TJJ »

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 07:13:43 PM »

This is really strange, but I've seen it happen before, namely to Nemonaemo in his "A Pirate's Life" series on YouTube. He had exactly the same thing happen, with regular relationship hits from the pirates allegedly due to smuggling activity.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »

Ok, I managed to engineer a save immediately before taking a mission that breaks the reputation system.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tixq5sa75lqojbz/save_TJJ_1837487541392700808.zip?raw=1

• Immediately (re)dock with Killa
  • Take the (independents) mission to deliver Organs to Qaras
  • Complete the delivery (you've already got plenty of Organs in your cargo hold)
  • You will now take a reputation hit with both the Independents & the Pirates every rep. tick(~6 days?), ad infinitum.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:50:22 PM by TJJ »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 09:03:55 PM »

Thanks, I'll take a look. Again, can't really load the saves, but still, made a note to investigate.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 11:20:55 PM »

Thanks, I'll take a look. Again, can't really load the saves, but still, made a note to investigate.

Can someone from the community who's savvy with programming have a look at what's going on?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 04:05:53 PM »

I think I've got it sorted - the issue was that when trading with a black market on a pirate-controlled world, it would assume it was legitimate trade (based on the submarket faction matching the market faction) and would not properly reduce the "accumulated smuggling volume" value (which the reputation penalty is based on).