Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Auto reinforce too easy and difficult to judge?  (Read 1980 times)

mangalore

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Auto reinforce too easy and difficult to judge?
« on: September 09, 2016, 12:16:58 PM »

So playing again after a big hiatus I like a lot of the new strategy map layer stuff but what I really have diffculties with is how easy nearby allies reinforce fleets. It's also not very obvious to me when this will happen. I see two pirate fleets and judge I can take them one by one but if you engage at a (to me) unspecific point where their distance is below an (to me) unseen threshold I face both fleets and am in a world of hurt although I specifically want to not engage the two fleets simultaneously.

I assume this is meant to create bigger more dynamic battles but thus far in the early game it mainly caused a ton of abortive battles and save spamming because even if I plan to do hit and run tactics this new mechanics makes it at least very hard to do and arguably even harder to actually see if you accomplish it, at worst it means I have to scrap any attempts of playing that way.

Am I missing something (aka can you somehow see when two fleets will join in battle against you?) or am I the only one feeling this more a detraction than an addition to the strategy gameplay?

woodsmoke

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Auto reinforce too easy and difficult to judge?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 12:32:14 PM »

You're far from the only one who's run afoul of this. I'm pretty sure I've seen a post from Alex saying he's aware and working on something to make it more clear when that happens, but until the next release you'll just have to learn to work around it.
The more I learn, the less I know.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 02:23:50 PM »

I had some moments where an easy small pirate fleet I made contact with got joined by that big pirate armada I could not see in time, and forced me into an unwinnable battle.  That do not happen very often for me, but they are annoying when it does happen.  Needlessly to say, this is a game-reloading moment for me.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 04:39:37 PM »

It would be less punishing if the reinforcements didn't get there immediately, and there was a timer in battle that told you when they would arrive. So you could try to finish them off before then or run if you couldn't handle the entire fleet. I know Alex didn't like the enemy reinforcements arriving late, but it is a solution to something that makes the early game hard to balance.