Fractal Softworks Forum
September 20, 2018, 12:23:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New blog post: Salvaging Mechanics Update (09/06/18); In-dev patch notes for Starsector 0.9a (06/01/18);Starsector 0.8.1a is out!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31
  Print  
Author Topic: [0.8.1a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.0.9.9  (Read 137257 times)
smithtrlane
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 05, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »

the turret rotation on the carrier is intentional.
It is? Ok, fair enough.
the hellrider bombers, im pretty sure were pushed up to 40 op due to them not being available in the campaign if im not mistaken. though the exact reasoning behind it i couldn't say. though it should be more expensive if only due to the missile it launches is quite powerful. doing as much damage as a torpedo and having 2.5x the range of the other variant of the bomber.
Hellrider Rafale is explicitly not supposed to be something you can mount - this is a general problem with fighter wings; you can't make them inaccessible in mission refit screens - I'm tempted to just remove it at this point, but I kept it initially because it might be nice as a built-in on something later.
Ah I see. I thought something was off. My bad.

Thanks for the clarifications.
jupjupy
Commander

View Profile Email
« Reply #421 on: April 06, 2018, 01:42:29 AM »

Hellrider Rafale's are cool! I wish they were real things I could use in the campaign!

... Maybe as a super-rare Blade Breaker thing?

You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.
ROFLtheWAFL
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 07, 2018, 07:20:31 PM »

So, after picking a Blade Breaker start, is there any way to acquire more Blade Breaker ships/weapons?
Soren
Admiral

Totally Not Omega

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 07, 2018, 07:37:38 PM »

Besides random drops, no, not yet. The procgen code for spawning Remnant-style enemies is way over my head, and it might be 0.9 before a really good solution arrives.

I'm looking at interim solutions, but it's slow going.

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Histidine
Admiral

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #424 on: April 13, 2018, 08:21:17 AM »

Based on a brief conversation on the Discord. Tomorrow I will wake up and realize that even considering making and posting this was a bad idea

(warning: low-effort meme)

Midnight Kitsune
Admiral

Your Friendly Forum Friend

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 13, 2018, 08:26:20 AM »

Based on a brief conversation on the Discord. Tomorrow I will wake up and realize that even considering making and posting this was a bad idea

LOL, nice

Stop trying to balance the game around a few minmaxers...
Programming is like sex:
One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

Tired of having your game crash because of out of date mods? Then click here!
Get Version Checker today! Now with 90% less hassle! Simply toss it into your mod folder, activate the mod like a normal one and BINGO you will now be informed of any and all updates when you start SS campaign up!
A Random Jolteon
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 13, 2018, 08:39:33 AM »

At least Nevermore-chan doesn't have to worry.
Jojo_195
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #427 on: April 20, 2018, 07:22:32 PM »

The Omni Blaster doesn't shoot. What am I missing here?
MesoTroniK
Admiral

I am going to destroy your ships

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 20, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »

The ship it is mounted on probably lacks the flux capacity required to fire it.

Soren
Admiral

Totally Not Omega

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 28, 2018, 07:30:20 PM »

An update, and a pretty substantial one at that. Will break your saves. Get it >HERE<.

0.9.8e - Content, balance adjustments. Will bork saves. Please consume space kitten mlems responsibly.

Content:
- Spirale: reduced speed, increased refit time from 10 to 12. New sprite.
- Borzoi: total rework, now a phase ship. Built-in Tomino AMM System.
- Added Rafale II Heavy Bomber, a 24-OP wing deploying Hedgehog cluster bombs.

Balance:
- Adjusted AMM family of weapons; AMM Blister MIRV reduced to 12 submunitions (from 16), fire interval set to 6 (from 4). Itano AMM health reduced to 35, fighter AMM reload time reduced to 0.15 from 0.2.
- Omni Blaster now fires a tight cluster of three shots rather than a double-tap burst; should be easier to land hits with.
- Quad Hybrid Blaster DPS reduced to 640.
- Tweaked Perforator acceleration and top speed downwards - should hit a little less often.
   • Damselfly: health/armor reduced to 500/90, more in line with the Khopesh. Reduced rocket volley to 7/pod. Removed flares.
- Flak Projectors reworked as Canister Flak; now fire a spread of buckshot.
- Autolaser family reworked as charge-based Capacitor Autolasers. More interesting this way.
   • Aigrette: removed flares, reduced Compact Autolaser charges to 12 to match the rest of the Autolaser family.
- Jeanne d'Arc flux dissipation/capacity reduced to 640/14000, hull points reduced to 12000, ATC removed, forward medium missile upgraded to large. Costs reduced to 55/55.
   • Target Datalink bonus reduced to 25%, uptime/downtime increased to 15/7.5
- Zelenograd dissipation reduced from 960 to 840, flux capacity increased to 16500. Should be a bit less of a beast.
- Added Delicate Machinery to Snow Goose.
- Replaced Hellrider Rafale I with Hedgehog proximity bomb version. It's a nice weird sidegrade, rather than a problem.
- Hit a bunch of stuff with minor nerfs and a very few buffs (ammo counts, +/- 50 range, etc).
- Changed Monobloc Construction's range penalty; instead of a flat 15% cut to ballistics, it reduces all weapon range by 50% above 600 units. Same net effect, generally cleaner implementation with fewer edge cases.

Campaign:
- Moved Yod system to avoid conflict with Metelson's Rock system.
- Made some minor system changes, expanded a few descriptions.
- Fixed solar mirrors orbiting Tenacity (connected to market, will now change allegiance with the planet when captured).
- Sixth Bureau ship skins now have a small chance to show up in DME markets.
- Tweaked faction relationships; friendly to Hegemony, cool on the League.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:41:44 PM by Soren » Logged

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Regularity
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 20, 2018, 08:06:41 AM »

So been playing with a lot of DME ships, and have some recommendations and feedback.

The Tunguska description notes it's designed for sniping, and sniping capital ships specifically. But the -50% range effect of the monoblock construction ends up making it not even a mediocre sniper, but a bad one, and also means it can't stay out of capital ships weapon ranges. Or most ships weapon ranges for that matter. So it functions more as a mid-range brawler than a sniper.

Actually, that's a bit of a balancing issue with the entire line of ships as a whole. The range restriction disproportionately hurts larger ship classes, since larger ships tend to have longer average firing range of weapons. Perhaps you should perhaps consider a scaling penalty based on ship size.

Also, the range cap means AI-piloted DME ships will more frequently loiter inside the blast radius of enemy reactor explosions, and suffer higher losses because this. This isn't helped any by their inability to mount heavy armor to help absorb some of the blast damage. I would consider adding explosive damage resistance (or whatever damage type reactors do) if you're not going to reduce the range penalty for their ships.

One last thing. I'd love to see some variants of the various freighters/tankers without a civilian-hull mod. I really love them as ships, but the hull mod's sensor/detection penalty is such a major drawback I usually end up using vanilla pirate freighters instead. Maybe consider creating non-civilian variants with lightly lower capacities? (It especially seems odd with the Puddle Jumper, which is a civilian craft to begin with, but has an export-friendly version? As if they're trying to keep civilian-grade technologies out of the hands of other factions).
Soren
Admiral

Totally Not Omega

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 20, 2018, 08:39:42 AM »

So been playing with a lot of DME ships, and have some recommendations and feedback.

The Tunguska description notes it's designed for sniping, and sniping capital ships specifically. But the -50% range effect of the monoblock construction ends up making it not even a mediocre sniper, but a bad one, and also means it can't stay out of capital ships weapon ranges. Or most ships weapon ranges for that matter. So it functions more as a mid-range brawler than a sniper.

Actually, that's a bit of a balancing issue with the entire line of ships as a whole. The range restriction disproportionately hurts larger ship classes, since larger ships tend to have longer average firing range of weapons. Perhaps you should perhaps consider a scaling penalty based on ship size.

Already implemented in dev, where it's 50% over 600/700/800/900. Which, I agree, feels much better. I've also boosted the speed and agility of the Tunguska up a bit.

One last thing. I'd love to see some variants of the various freighters/tankers without a civilian-hull mod. I really love them as ships, but the hull mod's sensor/detection penalty is such a major drawback I usually end up using vanilla pirate freighters instead. Maybe consider creating non-civilian variants with lightly lower capacities? (It especially seems odd with the Puddle Jumper, which is a civilian craft to begin with, but has an export-friendly version? As if they're trying to keep civilian-grade technologies out of the hands of other factions).

The gameplay idea behind the export variants is that the hulls themselves are fun sidegrades; the 'export' element is the older DME weapons their variants mount (Blaze Guns, ER PDLs, the pulsed lasers). As far as the hullmod goes, that's vanilla balance for you - if you're looking for a DME freighter that doesn't light you up like a Christmas tree, try the Lodestar, which comes with Shielded Cargo Holds.

Regularity
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 20, 2018, 12:11:58 PM »

If you're looking for a DME freighter that doesn't light you up like a Christmas tree, try the Lodestar, which comes with Shielded Cargo Holds.

Yeah, that's true. Admittedly, I just like the aesthetic style of your ships, but I never touch them due to the huge pain that having double signature radius causes, which means I fly with other, uglier freighters for hauling goods.

I know about the Lodestar, but the primary reason I don't use it is because it's 2.0 fuel/LY consumption puts it in an awkward spot: it's only about 25-50% as fuel efficient as larger ships, while a pair of frigate-sized vessels have faster burn (yet provide the exact same cargo space, fuel consumption, and even detection range). So the Lodestar, and any other 2.0 fuel/LY hauler for that matter, is inferior both for hauling quickly and hauling fuel efficiently. The only real advantage of 2.0 fuel/LY destroyers have over frigates is that they're more durable in combat... which is useless if you're using it just as a hauler and not taking it into any fights. And there aren't any larger (hence more fuel efficient) alternatives for dedicated haulers without a civilian hull mod.

But it's probably not fair to ask you to change a mod for my sake, so I'll probably just edit my own copy of the mod to include non-civilian versions for DME freighters ships. Though I do think you should at least consider a non-civilian tanker variant, since fuel is critical for war fleets that can't refuel at the destination (enemy territory), meaning the military probably needs it more than civilians do. Maybe you could kitbash a variant of the Kentaurus transport as a larger tanker without the civilian hullmod? (Especially since it's described as an "armed transport" already).
Soren
Admiral

Totally Not Omega

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 24, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »

Yeah, I'll take a look over the freighters and see if there's a good way to rig some of them as more fleet-oriented freighters. I think I'd like to limit it to the smaller hulls, though.

Think I'll probably push an update this weekend - anything else you guys think needs a look?

Regularity
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 25, 2018, 03:36:34 PM »

Maybe you should consider giving the "monobloc construction" hullmod some sort of defensive bonus? The hullmod reduces offensive power (at range), and flexibility of loadout (by discouraging ranged weapons), and even defense (by blocking heavy armor hullmods). What do they get in return? A pretty marginal 25% EMP resistance. (They also get overload reduction, but this bonus is largely useless to attentive players when piloting their own ship, or even for AI ships if you have the AI improvement mod installed, which makes AI ships excellent at avoiding overloads)

I'm guessing there's some intent behind reducing their ranges. If the goal is to make them closer range brawlers, shouldn't they get a corresponding speed or protection (armor/shield) bonus so to help them survive the punishment time needed to close to range? Or if the goal is to discourage combat, perhaps offer a sensor/stealth or fuel efficiency bonus instead.

Now let me be clear, I absolutely don't want to tell someone how they should design their own mod, so feel free to disregard everything I've said if it comes off as pushy. My intent is not at all to be rude. It's just that I'm not completely seeing the rationale behind giving DME ships specialized restrictions, but then not giving them bonuses for that specialization.

Also, off-topic, but...

Digging through the files I found those red Universal Securities ships. If you're not using them, you should release them for use by pirates/neutrals. If only temporarily until you get around to finishing whatever subfaction you were planning for them. You put in all the work to write up their stats and even make skins for them, but they're just sitting there collecting dust!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:42:27 PM by Regularity » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31
  Print  

Jump to: