Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.9.1a is out! (05/10/19); Blog post: Personal Contacts (08/13/20)

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.1.18a  (Read 483436 times)

Chikanuk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.1.18a
« Reply #1215 on: July 16, 2020, 03:20:54 PM »

Last few days I tested some of this mod content and have few questions:
1. What purpose Baikal have in DME fleet? Right now he suffers from short range and low speed. Well, out of combat his speed is okay, but when some *** frigate move into 2000-3000 range - Baikal rise his shield and become almost as slow as dominator. And in direct combat most of the enemies outrange him thanks to monobloc mechanics. Which is why in most of the fights where I test them (Both on DME side and vs them) almost all the times Baikals was far behind in terms of dps.
Low range plus slow movement is bad combination. Maybe you can add some speed to him, so he can become a true brawler? Or rework his dash skill what it didn't turn off shield.
2. Did you have plans about new big ships? IMHO DME need energy focus cruiser or\and new pure combat capital ship. Right now in big fleets it's more like "Zelenograds and carriers". Which work nicely, but its look strange, than entire fleet battle line consist almost entirely of one type of research ship.
3. Blade Breakers lens rockets and focuser bomber. For their OP cost they perform poorely. They really not any stronger than atropos. Lens perform better vs shields, but atropos superior vs armor. But lens, not just cost more, but also build flux. This is kinda strange for such rare weapon - to be less powerful than most common vanilla guns. Maybe 5 op for 3 rockets is enough?
But focuser bombers much worse. They far less effective than vanilla bombers like daggers or longbow. For example vs daggers focusers not just behind in terms of anti-armor power (well, they have mostly energy damage after all), but with same op spend on daggers you will have same damage vs shields. Simply because 3 focusers cost like 5 daggers.
Yes they faster, but not too much and it's not justify such huge op cost. Also, even same faction bombers - firesprays, performs on the same lvl for far less op. Maybe you lower the op cost for focuser bomber? Also it will be great to have medium size lense rocket pod.
Sadly I find very few BB weapons after a dozen fights with 300+ FP fleets, so I cannot tell much about over type of weapons (KE guns are good, but rarely used because cost alot of OP). Maybe only about Plasma Megabolter. I manage to find one... And it's worse than regular plasma. It trades flux efficiency for faster projectile speed, which is already not that great (plasma bolts not too slow anyway). But +100 range for 10 OP? This is extremely bad trade. If megabolter have 900 range - It can be good on some ships. But not in current state.

And yes, i understand what it will make BB even more powerful. But it feels much better, if after hard battle you can be rewarded with strong gear (not op, just vanilla-lvl strong).

P.S. Pardon for poor english, as usual.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: August 04, 2020, 02:43:31 PM »

Some ruminations in anticipation of the upcoming update (rubbing hands together):

I luv me the DME weapons for the most part and even if I don't play this faction in a game...I still want the faction active for their loot.

2. Did you have plans about new big ships? IMHO DME need energy focus cruiser or\and new pure combat capital ship. Right now in big fleets it's more like "Zelenograds and carriers". Which work nicely, but its look strange, than entire fleet battle line consist almost entirely of one type of research ship.

I tend to agree in general on the DME faction in a similar fashion, although I should point out that the mod page 1 says it is "focused around carrier combat, specialized weapons, and high mobility".

1.  The Normandie carrier is usually the backbone of my carrier element...I'm hard-pressed to find a vanilla/mod faction equivalent, pound for pound.  75 speed and 4 squadrons in a Normandie?  Oh yes indeed I wants the precious.  Say, five of them.  Thus DME has my carrier element amply covered

2.  Regarding line cruisers and battleships:

I usually have "one of each" of the desired cruisers among the various factions in my fleet except for carriers just for the sake of variety.

...but I need to have heavy metal up front to hold the line in big fleet combats and to date I haven't found a DME ship that quite suits my taste for that role.  Especially for myself:  I need a hold-the-line-fleet-battleship that I can command (the Victory is usually my goto).  There are times that a battle line ship simply has to have enough teeth to keep the hounds at bay...or: whelp it looks like we're pinned against the bottom of the map and no room for maneuver and someone has to create an opening.

One DME ship that I haven't used much at all and am going to try out a lot more in my current new game:  The Kormoran guard cruiser.  Very fast (70 speed), with supposedly focused fwd frontal firepower.  So it would be fast enough to cover/keep up better with the Normandies perhaps.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 05, 2020, 03:22:43 PM »

Already answered (it's on the last page; you skipped right over it) the question about combat capitals; I have an idea for one as a mission reward, but it's certainly not going to be common. You'll probably hate it.

Baikals make decent line ships, which is a lot of what they're there for; tanky cruisers that you can spam out in place of battleships. Kinetics and missiles to save flux, and rely on other ships to do killing damage.
People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations.

Nameless

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 05, 2020, 04:38:01 PM »

I'm noticing blade breaker is not being generated if I use Nexerelin to generate a random sector. I'm unsure if there is something i have to do for this mod to fix that or it is Nexerelin's.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 05, 2020, 04:39:57 PM »

That's irritating; it should work now, I can test it tonight, but for now, make sure you're A) on the most recent version (delete the old folder first, then redownload) and B) that you have random spawning turned on in options.

BreenBB

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: August 06, 2020, 12:38:34 AM »

Really quality mod, mod factions looks unique and adds variety of really nice weaponry.

Although about Blade Breakers, I hope what you made them more rewarding, they much more dangerous than remnants, if you have wrong fleet composition you can simply get owned by them, especially hi-tech are bad vs them, and you get much less stuff from them than from remnants for example, their ships are not recoverable and their weapons have lower drop probabilities, maybe I too "lucky", but even from large group I mostly got one Lens missile or other small BB gun, while big remnant group will drop except AI cores alot of weaponry too. Stations also have somehow small reward. As suggestions increased drop chance for weapons alone will make combat with them more rewarding. I don't found what affecting weapon drop rates to personally edit them, and I personally edited quantity of weapon loot in stations x4 and made ships recoverable, (I made remnants recoverable too, I like Radiant with its 5 large slots facing forward), and its made in my opinion combat with them viable, before these changes I'm simply avoided their systems.

About Nex random sector, I also have Adjusted Sector, its spawns BB systems in random mode, but they usually have only patrols and training bases, rarely they have mining and research stations, I never found any deserter stuff and Sigma systems, in tips it says about green stars, but I never seen any green stars, maybe I misunderstood that tip. I cannot play without new random sector because I have so many faction mods what in non random sector mode game is unable to save with allocated 8gb of ram, while in random sector even with standard quantity of habitated systems its work like charm.

Also another small suggestion, maybe commission crew bonus for them, since this mod one of few which doesn't have any.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 12:41:00 AM by BreenBB »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: August 06, 2020, 01:14:17 AM »

Do people just never read the thread?

A Commissioned Crew hullmod is in for the next update, already did it and have it working.

Halcyon_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: August 07, 2020, 01:53:02 PM »

Forgive the potentially ignorant question but, i just have to make sure (as i prepare myself for incoming fire >.>)

Is there any way to use this with Blade Breakers disabled? I know there's a setting, but it doesn't look like that turns them off completely...

Admittedly i only 'skimmed' over the OP when first downloading as i had a bunch of faction mods to look at and was itching to get back in the game, so colour me surprised when every single venture outside the core systems resulted in me being essentially 'game-over'ed by these things...

Trying not to let any frustration seep into this post, but why are these things so overpowered. Would love to keep DME, but not at the expense of actually being able to play, as if the game aint hard enough at the start already lol :/

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 07, 2020, 07:12:40 PM »

You can delete their ships from default_ship_roles.json; that might break things now (and will definitely break things in the future), but it'll hard-kill them as a presence in the sector.

You can also also go into data/config/exerlinFactionConfig/blade_breakers.json and set raidsFromBases to 'false'. With raids turned off, you'll only ever see them in the single handmade constellation that spawns to the galactic South, marked with the green Lenze star; just avoid those five systems (the exact name is random) and you're good.

One of the Big Tasks of the current dev build is making them a little easier to manage; their fleets are going to be longer on easy-to-kill frigates (Imps are now unshielded) and I'm re-arranging their weapons loadouts to be somewhat less effective against shields overall. Things like the Devil Ray will still be terrifying, but they won't have the same kind of support. Hopefully that makes them a little more manageable.

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 12, 2020, 09:14:18 PM »

Do you plan to add defense stations as well?

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: August 12, 2020, 09:15:19 PM »

No. Never. All the myriad times I have mentioned wanting to do stations in the past few years have been complete lies.

Nokhal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: August 23, 2020, 03:17:27 AM »

Will any support for https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16677.0 Commisionned Crew be added in the Future ?
With a focus on fighters/Interceptors.
It would give an incentive for the player to actually fight for the faction instead of buying their ships.

Edit : Just saw answers above.

Yes it is coming.

Nice.

Any ETA on the update or shall I just start a new game now ?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:32:02 AM by Nokhal »

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: August 23, 2020, 11:39:53 PM »

Do people just never read the thread?

A Commissioned Crew hullmod is in for the next update, already did it and have it working.

Good self-catch Nokhal. ;)

Ced23Ric

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: August 24, 2020, 12:00:16 AM »

No. Never. All the myriad times I have mentioned wanting to do stations in the past few years have been complete lies.
Maybe it's time for a FAQ section on the first page. :D

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 24, 2020, 12:09:07 AM »

Total offtopic.

That force me to read FAQ on the first page.

Two teas for this gentleman! ©   ;D

[close]
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84