Fractal Softworks Forum
May 24, 2017, 11:46:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Starsector 0.8.1a In-Development Patch NotesStarsector 0.8a is out (hotfix is up!)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: [0.8a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.0.9.5a  (Read 40008 times)
Phearlock
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »

Eh it's not that far off the stats of the vanilla Heavy Machine gun (120 flux 320 kinetic 450 range). I'd honestly say the weapon is a bit too similar to its vanilla counterpart. It could use something to further differentiate itself from the vanilla HMG.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:33:29 PM by Phearlock » Logged
Soren
Captain

Secret Beef Cultist

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2017, 06:08:07 PM »

I would have thought that burst fire rather than continuous and somewhat greater utility as PD counted, there.

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Midnight Kitsune
Admiral

Your Friendly Forum Furry!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »

I would have thought that burst fire rather than continuous and somewhat greater utility as PD counted, there.
I thought the HMG of vanilla WAS burst fire though

Stop trying to balance the game around a few minmaxers...
Programming is like sex:
One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

Tired of having your game crash because of out of date mods? Then click here!
Get Version Checker today! Now with 90% less hassle! Simply toss it into your mod folder, activate the mod like a normal one and BINGO you will now be informed of any and all updates when you start SS campaign up!
Soren
Captain

Secret Beef Cultist

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2017, 06:57:11 PM »

Four-round alternating bursts, yeah, as compared to 24 spread evenly across four barrels. The latter is better for shredding little stuff.

It's always felt pretty different in practice. YMMV, I'm happy to hear suggestions, but not every weapon needs to be completely unique.

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
majorfreak
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2017, 11:08:03 PM »

Hunh, I could have sworn I fixed that - yeah, it's meant to be more in line with the HMG.

Enjoy while it lasts?
hmmm...really? damn. Never noticed that before. Well, anyways, i did some playtesting and it suffers from spread (as one would expect) so i think it's actually okay. I'm beefing it up with gunnery hullmod and skill. Without it i find it's horrible at destroying missiles/fighters - you'd think otherwise because of the silly high DPS.
AxleMC131
Admiral

Amateur World-Builder

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2017, 11:14:13 PM »

Without it i find it's horrible at destroying missiles/fighters - you'd think otherwise because of the silly high DPS.

It's always a trade-off: DPS for accuracy. A good way of balancing high-damage weapons.

"I ain't one to punch first, but if the mil' wants a piece of me tonight, then they're sure as hell gonna regret it in the morning!"
- Johnson "Johnny" Parker
cjusa
Commander

Missiles and Mecha, my boys. Missiles and Mecha

View Profile Email
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2017, 09:56:14 AM »

I find it makes it a bit more fun. Although your fire isn't as accurate, you can't help but hit something with the sheer amount of bullet.

Very few problems can't be solved with gratuitous violence and epic explosions.

I am pro at Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth-Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip-Poker. Fight me.
majorfreak
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2017, 01:49:33 PM »

a few of the heavy weapons aren't Omnifactory friendly. what's up with that? The heavy linear cannon for one.
Soren
Captain

Secret Beef Cultist

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2017, 01:52:07 PM »

A lot of DME tech is explicitly locked out, yes. I will probably revise the exclusion list later, but for now, you just have to live with it (or edit the files).

ANGRYABOUTELVES
Captain

AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADOME

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2017, 08:18:57 AM »

DME doesn't have enough enemies. They're on good terms with the Hegemony, but they're only hostile to Pirates, the Cabal, the Luddic Path and the Luddic Church. They're not hostile to any of the enemies of the Hegemony, they're not even hostile to the Junk Pirates. If DME is close to the Hegemony, they should probably have similar enemies, even if just because they're associated with the Hegemony. If they're a "fearsome and somewhat amoral corporate microstate", they should have made some enemies on their own merits by now. As it is, they're a political non-entity and there's almost no downside to taking their commission beyond opportunity cost.

The Traceur is too superior to the Salamander for only costing 1/2 more OP, IMO. Not only is the missile itself longer ranged, slightly faster, and more damaging, it fires more than twice as fast while the magazine lasts, and regenerates missiles faster than the Salamander can fire. As far as I can tell, it's not different from the Salamander in any way that makes it worse in any aspect.

The Quad Linear Chain Gun is absolutely useless as PD if you have Gunnery Implants 10. There's no longer enough recoil to send the bullets every-which-way, and they come from the sides of the turret mount rather than the centre, so the bullets will go to one side or the other of the missile and almost never hit it. In contrast, the PD Beamer is too good; it's comparable to the Burchel, but costs 1 fewer OP.

All those nice-looking medium missile weapons, and very few medium missile mounts to put them in. As far as I can tell, the only DME ship with a medium missile mount is the Tereshkova.

The Mindanao's medium hybrid turret is backwards. It's a 360° mount so it's not a huge deal, but the gun starts out pointing backwards and it'll reset to that position if it hasn't fired at something for a while, so it'll have to waste precious moments rotating to face forward.

There's no DME capital ship? I can't seem to find one in the codex, anyway. DME is a "cruiser focused" faction, but I'd expect a battlecruiser at least.
Soren
Captain

Secret Beef Cultist

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »

1) hmm, I should boost their enmity with Tri-tach, then.
2) a perpetual work in progress. I keep tweaking them.
3) it's not very different from the vanilla HMG in that respect. PD Beamers have some tweaks on the way.
4) being rectified (and you're selling the Kentaurus short)
5) working as intended.
6) soon.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 01:27:56 PM by Soren » Logged

cjusa
Commander

View Profile Email
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2017, 01:26:46 PM »

Soontm I suppose

I am pro at Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth-Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip-Poker. Fight me.
Toxcity
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2017, 01:32:01 PM »

Maybe you can make D.M.E. hostile to the Persean League?
Soren
Captain

Secret Beef Cultist

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2017, 02:03:19 PM »

Likely. I will see, though: I might make them an ally of the League rather than the Hegemony, too.

cjusa
Commander

View Profile Email
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2017, 02:10:46 PM »

It would make more sense to like the Persean League, in my opinion. The Hegemony and DME relations at this point seem forced, as in the Hegemony rarely uses high tech at all.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: