Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars  (Read 4524 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars
« on: August 29, 2016, 07:29:40 PM »

The alpha came out 6 months ago?!? How did I not know?

Has anyone played this? Impressions? MOOII is such a favorite game of mine that I have it on every computer I own, even though it was released 20 years ago.

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 05:59:25 AM »

Haven't played yet, and most probably never will: I have just read 17 pages of discussion on this game, and the common verdict was that this casual hack job can't even hold a candle to MoO2.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 06:22:16 AM »

I have seen it too, since I have been looking recently into MOO2 and from what I read, new players seems to love it and MOO fans seem to think that at best it is mediocre. I guess it is probably a good game, but since MOO2 placed the expectations of old players too high, the game could not manage to get them. After all, it is not a remake of the old game, but a reboot. That means it will be a different game in the same universe I guess.
Ignorance is bliss..

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:23:25 AM »

Perfect timing; TB has just released a wtf is!

The realtime combat made me think that SS's combat engine could be a very good fit for a 4x.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:40:26 AM by TJJ »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »

I've been watching Quill play through a few games of this, and it doesn't seem too bad.
My only real gripe is that whoever was in charge of the art assets made the Klackons looks derpy as hell, and turned the Mrrshan (back) into fanservice material.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 08:34:27 PM »

It's junk, don't buy for more than $15.

Distant World's Universe is amazing if you're looking for the sort of experience it provides.  StarDrive 2 could be amazing with another month of bug fixes; but like it predecessor it's abandon-ware at this point while still having game breaking bugs.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 04:07:55 AM »

That's a little harsh, it's MOO2 with some cut features (that they have promised to add later) and really pretty graphics. Sure it's not original or innovative and the price is a little too high right now,
but it's a solid remake with good production values and lots of polish, a solid 4/5.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 05:01:47 AM »

That's a little harsh, it's MOO2 with some cut features (that they have promised to add later) and really pretty graphics. Sure it's not original or innovative and the price is a little too high right now,
but it's a solid remake with good production values and lots of polish, a solid 4/5.

A simplified remake of a 20 year old game (that was fairly simple to begin with) gets 4/5?!?
Talk about inflationary scoring!

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile