Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strategies for Doom?  (Read 10154 times)

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
Strategies for Doom?
« on: August 22, 2016, 02:41:11 PM »

Hi. Could you guys give me some tips or strategies for outfitting and using the Doom phase cruiser?

In the past, it used to be my favorite ship, but now I'm entirely clueless. Back when it had Fast Missile Racks, it was a great strike ship, since it could easily pummel important targets with those torpedo salvos. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case, as this role of precision strike was sorta taken over by the Afflictor, which can now backstab large ships with its Quantum-Disruptor->torpedo salvo combo. Doom's fast missile racks were replaced by quite useless Interdictor Array, so it's no longer possible to spam torpedos.

And why Interdictor Array is useless? Well, it turns off some of the target's engines, which should be a good thing... except the Doom is so slow and unmaneuverable that it's incapable of taking advantage of its own ship system. Very high flux output of the phase cloak doesn't help - I feel like out of all phase ships in the game, this one builds up the flux bar the fastest, and there is no way to slow it down (other than adding caps).

The result is that before this hunk of metal gets to wherever it's supposed to get in order to open fire, it will have almost maxed out flux bar, leaving very little power for weapons. Also, unlike the Shade or the Afflictor, this ship doesn't have any ability to disrupt its target, so once you phase in, you're going to take a full punch, and you can't even rely on speed to save yourself from fire, since the ship is so slow.

So I assume this ship is supposed to be used in a different, very specific way. But how? What kind of playstyle does it fit and what kind of weapons synergize well with its design?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Strategies for Doom?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 03:19:13 PM »

What are you fighting? The Doom is extremely effective against cruisers and capitals, because it can just circumvent their defenses.  But yeah, it has a speed problem against anything smaller. If you got a fleet it's a also very effective hammer in a hammer and anvil tactic.

Just to make sure, do you know the basic phase tactic of accelerating towards an enemy, phasing, passing directly over the enemy while turning 180 degrees, so that you end up facing the enemy engines?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:31:43 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »

there is a scenario where ur given a doom to play with and a small set of weak-ish enemies to pummel

its a good place to fiddle to work out ur kung fuu

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 03:54:51 PM »

What are you fighting? The Doom is extremely effective against cruisers and capitals, because it can just circumvent their defenses.  But yeah, it has a speed problem against anything smaller. If you got a fleet it's a also very effective hammer in a hammer and anvil tactic.

Just to make sure, do you know the basic phase tactic of accelerating towards an enemy, phasing, passing directly over the enemy while turning 180 degrees, so that you end up facing the enemy engines?

I'm trying to use it against anything larger than destroyers and frigates, cause the latter are already being quite swiftly ripped apart by my single Medusa with level 20 captain, lol.

I must be doing something wrong then. In my case, Doom is anything but effective against large targets. Or any targets, actually. There's really nothing you can do about incoming firepower - speed is too low to kite or otherwise escape, and phasing produces obnoxious amounts of flux, so it will only get you so far.

And yes, I know about the tactic you mentioned - that's what I try do with any phase ship - phase out, appear pointing at their engines and fire away. Except with Doom it's hardest to pull off, due to speed. Just like I've said in the first post, by the time you get near your opponent's engines, you're already on the brink of overloading, so there is not much power left to fire your weapons.

What do you mean by "circumvent their defenses"? How?

there is a scenario where ur given a doom to play with and a small set of weak-ish enemies to pummel

I've already tested this thing to hell, in both mission and simulation. I just can't find an effective loadout and I've got no idea how to effectively use the stock one.

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 04:06:35 PM »

What do you mean by "circumvent their defenses"? How?

U phase, fly through the enemy ship, turning as u go, unphase when ur behind it, pointing at its unshielded engines and open up while it is still spinning its shields around to block u

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 05:27:29 PM »

It's been a while since I've played, but the Doom is one of my favourite vanilla ships. You're right that it's slow, which is why you absolutely need to put Augmented Engines on it. That's also what it's ship system is for; you flare out their engines, then phase and fly through them while turning. Loadout is also very important. You want overwhelming burst firepower, and enough capacity to take advantage of that. For phase ships in general, I've found, you want capacitors a lot more than you want vents. Your phase speed gives you the mobility to run away far enough to active vent safely, so you want to have enough capacity to run absurdly overpowered loadouts and not instantly overload yourself. On the Doom I run 4 AM Blasters, 2 Heavy Blasters, 2 Typhoon Reaper Launchers, and 4 Burst PD. Very heavy on the flux and needs heavy investment in capacitors and +OP skills just to be able to mount and fire all that weaponry without overloading when it tries to cloak, but it is worth it. Pick a cruiser or capital, cripple it with the ship system, get behind it, and give it all 4 AM Blasters at once. If it's overloaded or without rear shield coverage, and unless it's a Paragon or an Aurora it is, then give it two Typhoons as well. Cloak before you overload yourself, retreat, vent, repeat. Killing destroyers is much the same, except you don't have to get behind them or use Typhoons. 4 AM Blaster shots will instantly overload anything but a Medusa, and the Medusa will be sent over the edge by the HBs. The HBs rip apart destroyers pretty quickly, so you don't need to spend Typhoons on them if you don't want to. Frigates, don't even bother with the AM shots. Just cripple and let your HBs rip them apart.

The Doom does have weaknesses, though. You handle pretty much anything 1v1, but the Doom doesn't fare particularly well when fighting multiple opponents because, being a phase ship, it has no shields. It can easily overload a single ship and lock down their weaponry through sheer damage or just use the phase speed to get behind them, but that won't do anything about the Enforcer on its flank with a Heavy Mauler. If the Doom is to solo any greater number of ships, it needs to pick off stragglers or overextenders and carefully limit the amount of fire it gets exposed to; it has a lot of armor, but armor doesn't grow back. It shines in fleet actions, where it has support and distractions, not as a solo flagship. That's not to say that someone can't use it as a solo flagship, but that there are other ships far better suited for the role.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 05:57:43 PM »

i haven't played much with Doom since the phase cloak changes, but i think phase ships in general are just not very good at soloing (anymore?). they shine when they can flank their targets, and strike without having to worry about every ship in range firing at them. having to deal with at least 2 seconds of vulnerability whenever wanting to do damage only really works when most of your targets are busy engaging someone else already.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 05:59:10 PM »

doom fuu

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 07:40:58 AM »

Revamped phase ships cannot twitch ghost shield through enemy fire anymore, making them ill-suited for brawling.  They are pushed toward being missile (more like torpedo) ships.  It seems like they were designed to assassinate priority targets then leave - not useful if you use another ship to kill everything single-handedly.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 09:54:44 AM »

Speed problem? Doom is a phase ship yo, that thing is one of the best cruisers to reposition and cherry-pick your engagements. Only problem it faces are fast ships on the run. Generally, to get where you want to go, figure out the threshold where the engine boost turns off and ride it just below that threshold with Phase->Vent->Phase. Don't jack up your flux.

As far as outfitting it.. 4xNeedler, 2xAnnihilator, 2xHeavy Blaster, 4x Burst PD. It wrecks stuff. Torpedos are okay, but with missile skills Annihilators are a lethal and more sustainable option. I generally don't outfit my phase ships with Torpedos. This ship was made for head-on combat and overpowering the enemy. You don't have to flank, Needlers take out shields in seconds. Of course it's still better to not get hit, but it can take the hits.

Always grab Speed, Armor, Resistant Flux Conduits and ITU hullmods if you can. Armored Turrets and Extended Missile Racks are nice. Go about even on caps/vents. And yeah, it has a demanding flux profile. It profits quite a bit from skills.

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 03:00:05 PM »

Okay, I think I got it figured out.

I sorta went for something exactly like the loadout suggested by ANGRYABOUTELVES, except I switched out two of those 4 AM Blasters for Ion Cannons. 2 AM Blasters are enough to overload anything up to midline tech and when they don't, Heavy Blasters/Torpedoes finish it up, while Ion Cannons help additionally incapacitate the victim, should it fail to die from the first salvo. Plus, Ion Cannons cost almost no flux to fire. Though I think it would actually make more sense to follow the suggestion and go for 4 AM blasters.

This thing is lethal now. It rips apart frigates and destroyers before they get into firing range. Anything larger I backstab with AM blasters and torpedoes. I managed to take out 3 Onslaughts in one go and still had enough torpedoes to spend on the rest of the enemy fleet. I run Expanded Missile Racks on it, but often it's not necessary.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 05:24:56 PM »

Instead of using heavy boasters try purple lazors. The nice thing about the doom is you have enough armor to shrug off all but HE damage sources. Also being an maneuverable ship you should be teaming with AI allies using them as a distraction

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 08:02:35 PM »

Revamped phase ships cannot twitch ghost shield through enemy fire anymore, making them ill-suited for brawling.  They are pushed toward being missile (more like torpedo) ships.  It seems like they were designed to assassinate priority targets then leave - not useful if you use another ship to kill everything single-handedly.

Like a submarine?