Fractal Softworks Forum
July 24, 2017, 11:36:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New blog post: Drawing [REDACTED] Battlestations, part 2 (7/15/17); Starsector 0.8.1a is out!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: [0.8a] Combat Alarm Sounds mod v1.31  (Read 10165 times)
Alex
Administrator
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 05:39:06 PM »

Ehh, my perspective on this is that a mod shouldn't use other games' etc assets without permission. For example, there was a GSB mod a while back, and the author asked for and got permission to use those graphics. It would be very much not cool if they didn't, regardless of the legality of it.

Seems like this is no longer an issue here, though, so that's good Smiley
Deshara
Admiral

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 02:52:18 AM »

Besides, there's plenty of Star Wars/Star Trek/<insert name of IP here> game mods out there which *no one* has ever been sued for. So I don't think it's even really a danger.

Yeah 99% of copyright cases happen.because the law requires rights holders to act in their copyright's defense otherwise they lose claim to it. So EA sued that fan-made starwars game because copyright law requires them to pretend they care about. Copyright law doesn't require them to ever do anything about fan-made mods, so no company ever even pretends to care about mods.
Basically there's 0% chance of ever seeing a DMCA over a mod. The only way copyright applies to free mods is in respect to the work of fellow modder, you don't have to worry about EA
MesoTroniK
Admiral

I am going to destroy your ships

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 03:52:00 AM »

Basically there's 0% chance of ever seeing a DMCA over a mod.

Tell that to Mech Warrior Living Legends Sad

I really miss that mod, was the best expression of Mechwarrior / Battletech to ever be created in video game format far surpassing any commercial product.

jamplier
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 04:34:33 AM »

Nobody can be sure what might have actually happened "behind the scenes", but officially there were no sings of a legal dispute between the creators of MW:LL and that other [anagram for yshitt] Battletech/Mechwarrior game we shall not name. And as far as I'm aware, you can still download and play it, it's just that they stopped development of it. Now that you reminded me...

Got slightly off topic here, hope I'm not bothering anyone.
Tartiflette
Admiral

Kickstarter is NOT a magic spring of free money!

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 07:16:23 AM »

Yeah 99% of copyright cases happen.because the law requires rights holders to act in their copyright's defense otherwise they lose claim to it. So EA sued that fan-made starwars game because copyright law requires them to pretend they care about. Copyright law doesn't require them to ever do anything about fan-made mods, so no company ever even pretends to care about mods.
Basically there's 0% chance of ever seeing a DMCA over a mod. The only way copyright applies to free mods is in respect to the work of fellow modder, you don't have to worry about EA
You are mixing up IP and Trademarks: it's the second one that has to be enforced to be kept valid. IP are enforced at the discretion of the rights' owner.

As for the "0%", well I can find dozens results with a simple search but for the sake of argument:
Battlestar Galactica mod for Nexus,
A couple of Mass Effect mods, (they are actually friendly to modders but you have to ask for permission first)
Starcraft World mod for Starcraft,
Several mods inspired by the Tolkien Universe,
In the past, several Warhammer mods (although now GW encourages them)...

So yeah, point in case: there are mod friendly IP owners, and there are others that will take down anything that blip on their radar.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:38:34 AM by Tartiflette » Logged

Dark.Revenant
Admiral

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 09:39:51 PM »

Note that "Starcraft world" mod just had a rename instead of being cancelled, and is now about to be released with Blizzard's full support.

The Soldier
Admiral

Quartermaster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2016, 07:29:21 AM »

Ugh, you're all still going on about copyrights?

Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Takion Kasukedo
Captain

The Embodiment of Defilement, TakionKasukedo

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2016, 04:27:17 PM »

Might as well just move this topic to another forum section if it continues.

The Embodiment of Defilement reigns over his part of the galaxy.

FEAR THE CASCADE.
NightKev
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2016, 09:58:46 PM »

You are mixing up IP and Trademarks: it's the second one that has to be enforced to be kept valid. IP are enforced at the discretion of the rights' owner.
And you're mixing up "IP" and "Copyright": IP is a blanket term including (but not limited to) copyright, patent and trademark law.
Azmond
Captain

I'm but a man with a pencil.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »

Steering things back on track a bit...
I love the idea for the mod, defiantly going to give it a go sometime when I get my mod list up again. I like the idea of combat sounds and the video helped showcase some of it's intent. It'll add some life to the game.

No more staring at a  screen where you blow up and you don't get some sort of  sound other than. "BOOOAM!" Now you have, the alarms popping off one by, one by, one till it's a maddening drone of, "WE'RE FUBARed HERE!!!" That, adds some good tension I think.

CEO and Founder of Metelson Industries!
I stream on Saturdays, usually space-ships. Smiley
King Alfonzo
Captain

"I'm trying doing things on photoship with it now"

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »

I've been playing it for the past couple of weeks and my gosh is it good. The engine flameout alarm is perfect, the flux alarm triggers at a good level, and the damage alarms are brilliant for warning you that, yes, you have no armour any more and that grapeshot missile is now very scary. I honestly have no idea why this wasn't implemented sooner - I can't go back to soundless Starsector without it.

jamplier
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 02:22:26 PM »

Yeah, the "we're in a sinking battleship" feeling was something I was striving to achieve with my mod. The fact that it is useful is almost like icing on the cake in my opinion.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it  Grin
Paul_Kauphart
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2016, 06:18:14 AM »

Hello,

I have to say, this is a godsend, especially the 85% flux alarm, and I can totally see this being in vanilla (I can't imagine playing vanilla without it at least). However, it needs an easy way to learn what sound is associated with what alarm, especially the high damage sustain one, which is not easy to identify when you've never heard it before (an ingame message saying what alarm is running would be nice). I'd also like a way to change customize the levels.

Last thing, I seem to have the damage alarm raising whenever I change command during a fight. My theory is that since I change from a mighty warship with plenty of hull to a puny shuttle, the mod detects it as a more than 600 damage. Not major really, but still inconveniant.

Thanks for that good work.
jamplier
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2016, 06:59:41 AM »

Hello, and welcome to the forum! (since I see this is your first post)

I get your point about identifying sounds, though I can't see any easy way of getting additional info in-game without adding a lot of clutter (especially alongside a mod such as Histidine's Combat Chatter (which I do recommend)), which will eventually be useless anyway once you get used to the sounds. Though now that you say this, I'll probably add links to the sounds on in the original post, along with their filenames as they are in the mod.

Regarding adjusting the sound levels, instructions were included in the OP:
-If you would like to change a sound's volume, or remove it completely (rather, set the volume to 0 to avoid actual errors when running the game), go to installation_directory/Starsector/mods/Combat Alarm Sounds/data/config/sounds.json, and adjust the corresponding sound's volume;

And yes, when changing ships an alarm will usually play exactly as you described Cheesy I'll probably fix that along with a couple of other things (related to issues with another mod, which is coincidentally the one other mod I ever made.)

Glad you're enjoying it, and thanks for the feedback!
Paul_Kauphart
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2016, 04:38:05 PM »

Hey, thanks for the welcome.

Sorry, when I meant levels, I was thinking about the trigger levels, say I want to start the hull alarm at 90% and the flux alarm at 70% for example (random numbers here).

You're right, once you started to identify the different sounds, it gets redundant, I was thinking along the line of trying to get to that point faster. The links will probably do the trick, let me check the OP... -after checking the OP- This is exactly what I needed, a textbook situation for each alarm where it's easy to identify. Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: