Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ship Pack - Poltergeist hotfix now up  (Read 8180 times)

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
Ship Pack - Poltergeist hotfix now up
« on: August 04, 2016, 12:35:30 PM »

Warning: This mod is NOT tested for compatibility with other mods, use with them at your own risk!
However, there should not be conflicts with ship/weapon/variant names,

Vanilla-Theme Ship Pack
Clearly I'm very creative with mod naming

It has been a long time...
I think I have been working on this since the days of v0.5a, either way it was long before CR, skills and was mostly developed back when fleet size goverened by fleet points was a thing. I was never sure whether to release this, for the longest time I thought the quality level wasn't worthy compared to the vast array of excellent modding works that have come up on these forums. I only see that quality level increasing, but I thought I should finally set this mod free regardless, in the hopes that if just one person enjoys it, it'll all be worthwhile. So, a few months ago I resurrected this mod from the depths of incompatibility, with the help of the one and only Alex.

And so I present, a vast number of vanilla-styled ships. All kitbashes are original. These ships are not intended to reinvent the wheel but simply to add more buying choices. If that looks like a disclaimer, I guess it sort of is? But none of this is to say I haven't tried to experiment with anything, or fill gaps in particular roles. For one thing you will find multiple destroyer-sized carriers capable of holding their own in combat, to a glass cannon tanker refitted with ridiculous firepower, and a high-tech supercapital with a massive, slow burst firing, built-in beam. Some of the ships also violate what you normally expect of a particular tech level, such as a mid-tech ship not being focused on forward firepower, or a bulky-looking high-tech cruiser.

There's not much else to say, so you can feast your eyes upon the ships here:
The Ships
Spoiler
FRIGATES

Sentinel, Hunter, Nebula, Hailer, Viper, Andromeda

DESTROYERS

Buffalo pirate modified, Hellhound, Dart, Cobra, Eumaeus (ever wanted a mini Oddysey? This is for you!), Blackbird, Heron, Selene, Swordfish drone carrier, Bullfrog, Athena, Buffalo carrier, Osprey, Centurion, Raven, Baxter
Poltergeist

CRUISERS

Heliades combat-converted tanker, Pulsar (basically your tanky brick of a high-tech ship, with fortress shield), Stoat (upscaled wolf), Kerberos (No large mounts, but A LOT of medium ones and a lot of firepower!), Hawk
Mutilator (very flexible and more combat-oriented design somewhat inspired by the venture)

SUPERCAPITAL

Minerva - a supercapital. I also have a mid-tech and low-tech supercapital, if you would like to see those included, give me a word. I didn't include those in the ships to deliver because I felt they were too powerful.
[close]

FAQ (No one really asked these, they're just things some people may find useful to know :) Also some of these aren't even questions. Whatever ;D ) :
Spoiler
Q - I can't load my previous save with ShipPack enabled. Why?
A - Unfortunately game saves cannot be updated with new mods once started. You'll have to start a new campaign if you still want to use this mod.

Q - I'm only getting weaker ships at the shipyard. Why?
A - I've implemented a "levelling" system, where better ships are delivered the longer you play into the same campaign.
   The purpose of this is to keep it interesting and have new ships constantly having a chance at being delivered. If you're still only getting less powerful ships, each level has the same ships as the previous as well as the new ships, so you're probably just getting bad luck with the randomly drawn ships.

Q - Can I use your sprites/ships in my mod?
A - Yes, they're just kitbashes. I don't expect this case to pop up anyway considering a number of my kitbashes... Suck.

Q - I get an error message saying a hull could not be found!
A - Please contact me about this as soon as you can. If you want to try and fix this problem yourself, you can check the data/scripts/world/SPConvoySpawnPoint.java file and compare it with data/hulls/ship_data.csv id property to see if you can find where I screwed up the hull name.

Q - <ship> is under/overpowered!
A - Either I haven't attempted to balance the ship or I did attempt to and failed at it. If you think any balancing changes should be made, suggestions are welcome. If people consistently ask or agree with a particular balance change, it's almost gauranteed I'll make the change.

Q - Why are your ships so unoriginal and generic? Each ship should do/be something unique!/Some of your kitbashes are lame!
A - Unfortunately I'm (probably) lacking in creativity, but the goal of the mod is primarily to provide more choice of vanilla-style ships. Anything more (e.g.; supercapitals, combat carriers) is intended to be supplementary only.

Q - Can you make a ship that does/has X?
A - Depending on what you ask, I would try. The process for designing the ships used to be haphazardly throwing stuff together without any particular goal. I've been able to overcome that to some extent with my newer ships so that I can make a particular kind of ship, but it can be slightly difficult.

Q - Can you recommend any ships to buy?
A -   low tech: Osprey, Mutilator, Hellhound
   mid tech: Hunter, Pelican, Titanopteryx
   high tech: Nebula, Eumaeus, Minerva

Q - Your mod is bad and you should feel bad. I hate you and your family, your friends, relatives, your relatives friends, your friends relatives, your pets, your friends pets and your relatives pets.
A - Ok.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:00:18 AM by billi999 »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Pack
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 05:41:03 PM »

Ooooooh, I think I remember seeing a couple of those in some old Spriter Judgement posts and such... That bring back some memories!

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 07:27:29 PM »

Dat last Q/A tho!

Holy smokes, these looks so good. There are some that I love and some that are ok, but everyone have their taste XD

I am sure some people (like definitely me) would love to the the OP Supercapital ships in their universe... especially as enemies =D

But in case that indeed breaks the balance of the game, is it too hard to have two different versions of the mod? I can't imagine if it would be hard to maintain or not.. I just want to see the two "hidden Supercapitals.. especially the low tech =D

Thanks for this so much =)

PS: I have a better pack name. Vanilla-Theme Ship Pack... =D .... .... my creativity with mod naming is over 8000!

PPS: Sorry I just had to PS that XD
Ignorance is bliss..

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 08:29:21 PM »

very pretty looking ships

Q - Can you make a ship that does/has X?
A - Depending on what you ask, I would try. The process for designing the ships used to be haphazardly throwing stuff together without any particular goal. I've been able to overcome that to some extent with my newer ships so that I can make a particular kind of ship, but it can be slightly difficult.

well, if you really want .... can u make a series of larger scarabs?
destroyer, cruiser, etc (they dont have to look the same ..... unless u want them to)

i *really* love that time acceleration subsystem.

*edit* the dropbox download file permissions are incorrectly set ..... its asking for an account creation.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:39:12 PM by borgrel »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 09:45:37 PM »

Besides the download needing an account to DL, you have some name conflicts with vanilla and mod ships: You should take a look at this thread: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9550.0
Another thing is several of your ships look overgunned. You should take a look at this thread: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9052.0 to help you balance your ships. I'm sure other modders will help out as well
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 10:19:53 PM »

Besides the download needing an account to DL

Since when dropbox needs an account to download? I simply click the download button on the top right.

If the popup that tries to make you sign up appears, I either click on the "No thanks, continue to download" or simple click somewhere away from the window to make it disappear and push the download button again. Either work.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:30:09 PM by Weltall »
Ignorance is bliss..

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:29:44 PM »

Besides the download needing an account to DL

Since when dropbox needs an account to download? I simply click the download button on the top right.

If the popup that tries to make you sign up appears, I either click on the "No thanks, continue to download" or simple click somewhere away from the window to make it disappear and push the download button again. Either work.
Yeah it was being a brat. I was doing that but it kept popping up that damn box. And of course after you complain about it, it fixes itself
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 11:59:27 PM »

Is that lining of names like "Raven" and "Baxter" intentional?

Or is it an easter egg/reference?
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 02:47:55 AM »

WHAT. YES
That Hawk is something I've always wanted-- a capital-grade eagle. I would bug Alex to rename the eagle and falcon so that your ship can take the mantle of Eagle, and we can have a smooth size gradient of kite/falcon/hawk/eagle.
Plus, swordfish? Yes please
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 05:00:07 AM »

3613829 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [sp_poltergeist_d_Hull] not found!
java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [sp_poltergeist_d_Hull] not found!
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.A.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.FleetMember.updateVariantIfNeeded(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.FleetMember.init(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.FleetMember.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.FleetMember.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CargoData.addMothballedShip(Unknown Source)
   at data.scripts.world.SPConvoySpawnPoint.SelectShips$(SPConvoySpawnPoint.java:83)
   at data.scripts.world.SPConvoySpawnPoint$1.run(SPConvoySpawnPoint.java:115)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ai.AssignmentModule.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ai.ModularFleetAI.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleet.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.BaseLocation.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 10:47:40 AM »

Ooooooh, I think I remember seeing a couple of those in some old Spriter Judgement posts and such... That bring back some memories!

That's right! I think the Baxter class was named by ValkyriaL... Better give credit before they sue me! ;D

I am sure some people (like definitely me) would love to the the OP Supercapital ships in their universe... especially as enemies =D

But in case that indeed breaks the balance of the game, is it too hard to have two different versions of the mod? I can't imagine if it would be hard to maintain or not.. I just want to see the two "hidden Supercapitals.. especially the low tech =D

Thanks for this so much =)

PS: I have a better pack name. Vanilla-Theme Ship Pack... =D .... .... my creativity with mod naming is over 8000!

PPS: Sorry I just had to PS that XD

Thank you as well for the comments! The point about some looking not as good is totally fair, I think. I will look into getting the supercapitals in the game (also in how to... err, inject, my ships into vanilla fleets). I'll also consider the rename ;D

well, if you really want .... can u make a series of larger scarabs?
destroyer, cruiser, etc (they dont have to look the same ..... unless u want them to)

i *really* love that time acceleration subsystem.

*edit* the dropbox download file permissions are incorrectly set ..... its asking for an account creation.

Good idea! I'll see if I can do that. I... Have never even used a scarab though :-X so I'll have to see how it goes first.

you have some name conflicts with vanilla and mod ships: You should take a look at this thread: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9550.0
Another thing is several of your ships look overgunned. You should take a look at this thread: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9052.0 to help you balance your ships. I'm sure other modders will help out as well

Ah, I was afraid about the name thing. The positive thing is there shouldn't be outright conflicts, because hull names all have a prefix even if the frontend names don't. Let's be honest though... If every ship has to have a unique name when put up against every single mod, it's not long before all ships in every single new mod will start having obtuse names.
Valid point about overgunned ships though, that's probably a symptom of my old kitbashing process where I just threw on whatever fit. I did try to balance around that by gimping ships with many slots in other ways such as mobility, OPs or flux, but likely failed. While I agree numerous ships could likely use a rebalance, some of the points in that thread look kind of dogmatic. I can see the metrics for OP count being useful among other points there, though. I see I also dropped the ball on a few really valid points there. What I would worry about is losing anything unique in the mod

Is that lining of names like "Raven" and "Baxter" intentional?

I don't know what this could be referencing, so I'm gonna go with unintentional.

WHAT. YES
That Hawk is something I've always wanted-- a capital-grade eagle. I would bug Alex to rename the eagle and falcon so that your ship can take the mantle of Eagle, and we can have a smooth size gradient of kite/falcon/hawk/eagle.
Plus, swordfish? Yes please

Awesome, I'm glad you're so happy with it. I like your idea of size gradient though. I probably should've considered that.

<Stack trace>

... *** . I will see if I can fix that ASAP and release a fix.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 11:05:41 AM »

The point about some looking not as good is totally fair, I think.

It actually feels right and as it should be. Not only there are different tastes in designs, but I find it quite realistic for some designs to look better or me than others. I am not commenting on their detail or how nice they look for what they are. Just personal taste~

I will look into getting the supercapitals in the game (also in how to... err, inject, my ships into vanilla fleets).

I would love that. It is awesome for the to exist there to be buyable, but I would love to get my behind kicked by some of them... wait I think I said it wrong  :o

I'll also consider the rename ;D

Ignorance is bliss..

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »

It actually feels right and as it should be. Not only there are different tastes in designs, but I find it quite realistic for some designs to look better or me than others. I am not commenting on their detail or how nice they look for what they are. Just personal taste~

I would love that. It is awesome for the to exist there to be buyable
Thank you once again! The way I measure how good they are is how obvious it is where certain parts of the ships came from, and in that measure some of them really suck. But I'm glad you can appreciate them as they are even if they're not pretty as such :)

but I would love to get my behind kicked by some of them... wait I think I said it wrong  :o
;D As it would be beneficial for the mod to have the ships injected into vanilla fleets, this'll probably be the next thing I look at now that the hotfix is done. Hell, a lot of the ships already have variants and all.

So, to pro modders:
What's the compatiblity of my mod like? If it's worthwhile, I'd like to add my mod ships to vanilla fleets in the "correct" way, whatever that may be. Currently I'm thinking of copying and thus overriding the .faction files in my mod folder. Would that be the "correct" way?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 04:53:29 AM »

You might want to fix Nexerelin compatibility; details here.

If it's worthwhile, I'd like to add my mod ships to vanilla fleets in the "correct" way, whatever that may be. Currently I'm thinking of copying and thus overriding the .faction files in my mod folder. Would that be the "correct" way?
Make copies of the .faction files, but don't have anything inside them except the new ship variant entries in the shipRoles table, so it doesn't override stuff it shouldn't.
(This won't make it compatible with DynaSector; that requires a different and harder approach)

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Pack - Poltergeist hotfix now up
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 06:56:24 AM »

Thank you, I like the idea of making it compatible with Nexerelin. I already got started with the thing of putting ships in the vanilla fleets, so I'll adapt that to only include the necessary stuff, and do the fix.
Sorry for the problem being reported to you when it wasn't even your fault in any way :-[