Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Exploration & Salvage  (Read 49828 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Exploration & Salvage
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2016, 01:42:42 PM »

OK, awesome ;D 

...I will not open that spoiler. I will not. No.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2016, 11:22:52 PM »

Yeah, this is... part of the stuff I didn't want to talk about due to potential ruining etc. Also due to it not being all done, but, yes, "breadcurmbs" for things are something I'm looking at very closely. Spoiler for an example that's in right now:

Breadcrumbs should not lread to something trivial or normal bonuses. But rather shouldent they be handcrafted to lead to epic things, even if just lore wise. Like thoes rainbow worlds that lead in starcontrol

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2016, 01:49:15 AM »

Come to think of it, I had a lot of fun one playthrough with a 2nd ship being a Vigilance with a cautious officer, unstable injectors, an Ion Beam, and a Salamander Pod. That's a totally specialized support ship and it was super effective early game - best case scenario it disables things all the time, worst case it's a distraction. I'm pretty sure I've seen people talk about using Kites in a similar fashion.

IT WAS ME!
So is the introduction of automated derelics as low-tier exploration-based foes going to be focused on drones? Cause I'm not a fan of that thought, the already has the framework in place to justify crewless combat ops, and the mechanics to make it a scaling threat (is derelicts having more perminent critical malfunctions the more in disarray they are)
I mean, ships don't need crew to fire their guns and a onslaught with one guy (pilot?) can auto fire all its turrets the same as a fully staffed ship, it's just that damage it takes won't be repaired and systems that are broken stay broken, which totally plays into the low-end aspect of the mechanic. It would be super simple to make investing aptitude points in the industry tree skill itself (and not the salvage skill itself) increase your crews capability to identify how combat functional a derelict hulk would be if its auto fire turned out to still function/correctly identify hulks. Like, an 80% chance to be within x minus 9 critical malfunctions, where x is the relevant skill, so that if you found a derelict onslaught as a newbie even with just one aptitude point if the initial scan came back with less than 10 critical malfunctions you would have an 80% chance that if you approached engagement range and it didn't turn out to be a hulk (it's power system disable) and was in fact a ship that lost it's crew and was left adrift with it's autopilot on you would be facing a fully functioning onslaught, whereas being within 10 of the maximum amount of critically disabled combat systems means that the onslaught is either a hulk, or a severely crippled one.
Ionno, just a thought to systemise it and tie it into the CR mechanics
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2016, 05:19:40 AM »

Breadcrumbs should not lread to something trivial or normal bonuses. But rather shouldent they be handcrafted to lead to epic things, even if just lore wise. Like thoes rainbow worlds that lead in starcontrol
Rainbow worlds in Star Control 2 were nothing more than a big chunk of "credits" (i.e., less lifeform grinding needed) and some resources.  Now if the dev encounter at Groombridge actually made it in the game...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2016, 03:30:11 PM »

More or less what I was saying in the previous reply :)

So is the introduction of automated derelics as low-tier exploration-based foes going to be focused on drones?

To a large degree. I think that offers a lot more opportunity for enemy variety than yet more beat-down versions of "normal" ships. Not that there's anything wrong with that, specifically, but it feels nice to add some more variety.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2016, 06:31:58 PM »

Was that spoiled 2nd ship (from that massive frigate pile pic) another drone? I'd imagine there'd be several types of drones.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2016, 08:02:03 PM »

... I don't know, who's to say? :-X

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2016, 08:26:45 PM »

Truly, it is a mystery.
An enigma most perplexing.
A shadow hidden within a riddle buried somewhere beyond the horizon of understanding.
Who are we that attempt to ken that which is not for us - and nay, not of us? Indeed, it is but our fate as mere human beings to grasp for truths we cannot reach. 
:-X

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2016, 09:50:36 PM »

You guys... sheesh!

Hmm, looking like it has two wide-arced turrets up front and possibly one or two hardpoints between them. It does appear to have coloration similar to the other known drone, so, I'll have to say it is a drone ship as well! AHA!

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »

Truly, it is a mystery.
An enigma most perplexing.
A shadow hidden within a riddle buried somewhere beyond the horizon of understanding.
Who are we that attempt to ken that which is not for us - and nay, not of us? Indeed, it is but our fate as mere human beings to grasp for truths we cannot reach.  
:-X

*eye twitches*

Phyroks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2016, 05:13:38 AM »

been long summer waiting, still waiting, soon summer gone :(

someday  :)

Jerry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2016, 06:48:25 AM »

Hey Alex!

Just wanted to drop some encouragement!
The game is looking great. I keep coming back to this over all my other space games which includes X3, SPAZ, Starpoint Gemini 2, among others.
This latest blog entry of yours has me really excited. I like the randomization factor for non-important sectors to make it fresh every time. Salvaging sounds like fun. Next update can't come soon enough!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2016, 09:03:32 AM »

Thank you!

(Pet peeve: people calling systems "sectors" :) There's only one Sector in the game! Ahem.)

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2016, 09:31:20 AM »

* borgrel feeds the pet some candy

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2016, 09:41:42 AM »

The only thing I could *maybe* see doing here is adding a settings.json value for the time multiplier; going to give that a bit of thought.

Starsector overclocking.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7