Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Star Wars Mods?  (Read 2831 times)

djtman003

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Star Wars Mods?
« on: July 07, 2016, 09:01:37 PM »

anyone working on a star wars mods or have a link to a working one. I have looked and have only found one mod that is dead. The mod was revised 3 time but then finely died in 2012. i could not even found a working version

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Mods?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:12:58 PM »

IP mods are boring, generally folks that have the talent to make a quality mod would rather create their own content.

djtman003

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:20:03 PM »

is there a way to just take the models/ships and make them into a new faction. i have a EVE online mod that is really nice to play with just sucks that most or all are dead. im not sure how that works with balance, but i just want so ISD models to fly around

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 11:32:01 PM »

Sure you could: it's not that hard to make a new faction, mostly time consuming. At least for a barebone vanilla style faction with no special mechanics.

You'll essentially need:
a .ship and a .variant file for every hull, plus a complete ship_data.csv and wing_data.csv;
a .wpn and a .proj file for every weapons and a complete weapon_data.csv (plus probably the corresponding entries in sounds.json);
a .faction file to assign the ships to fleets with its entry in faction.csv;
a factionGen.java to add them to the campaign in their system.java with a market to spawn them in an economy faction.json file;
a corresponding entry for the market in a economy.json file;
a corresponding entry for the system in a starmap.json file;
a complete descriptions.csv;
a ModPlugin.java;
a mod_info.json.

(I think that is it for a very basic faction mod?)

You could also ask the mod author for the permission to revive his mod with proper credits.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:46:48 PM by Tartiflette »

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 11:37:59 PM »

IP mods are boring, generally folks that have the talent to make a quality mod would rather create their own content.

Tell me about it, every time a space game has modding features an ip mod isn't far away...

djtman003

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 05:23:24 AM »

Sure you could: it's not that hard to make a new faction, mostly time consuming. At least for a barebone vanilla style faction with no special mechanics.

You'll essentially need:
a .ship and a .variant file for every hull, plus a complete ship_data.csv and wing_data.csv;
a .wpn and a .proj file for every weapons and a complete weapon_data.csv (plus probably the corresponding entries in sounds.json);
a .faction file to assign the ships to fleets with its entry in faction.csv;
a factionGen.java to add them to the campaign in their system.java with a market to spawn them in an economy faction.json file;
a corresponding entry for the market in a economy.json file;
a corresponding entry for the system in a starmap.json file;
a complete descriptions.csv;
a ModPlugin.java;
a mod_info.json.

(I think that is it for a very basic faction mod?)

You could also ask the mod author for the permission to revive his mod with proper credits.
you make it sound so easy. if i knew how to do this or mod at all. I can just about edit .txt files as long as there simple like (damage=4) or (cost=10000) other then that im not a coder or moder

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 06:25:43 AM »

That's exactly what I described. Take the files from another simple mod and start replacing the content with yours, while comparing it to vanilla, until there is nothing from the other mod left. I recommend starting from FluX, that is pretty much the only simple mod left, but also very clean. For a simple implementation you only need Notepad++ to edit the files, a fair amount of patience, but no coding knowledge.