Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Progressively decreasing consumtion as supplies dwindle  (Read 2148 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Progressively decreasing consumtion as supplies dwindle
« on: July 11, 2016, 11:11:40 AM »

As it stands now you're pretty much screwed if your supplies run out while you are far from a source. The game doesn't really acknowledge that fact mechanics wise, though. Your supply consumption can easily go up dramatically without you noticing, leaving you dry. It would be both convenient and noob friendly it supplies would be handled smarter.

I though about just progressively decreasing max supply consumption once you're below a certain threshold, determined by you maintenance cost. Repairs and CR regeneration would of course be slowed. A warning about low supplies seems to make sense here, too.
Once you only have left enough supplies for a couple of days repairs and CR regeneration could completely stop. Maybe the best way to implement that would be to automatically switch on the "suspend repairs&recovery" button for all ships. Then you could deactivate it manually if you want to keep repairing certain ships, like your flag ship.

Would work as a simple threshold trigger too, without the progressive reduction first. That would give more control, but less warning.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Progressively decreasing consumtion as supplies dwindle
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 11:40:46 AM »

I'm not that fond of an automatic switch of the repairs. Could be easily forgotten or could happen at the wrong time. On the other hand, there could be a campaign "ability" that toggle the suspend repairs for all ships from the campaign view instead. Coupled with a red flashing of your supplies bar once you have less than say, 10 days worth of reserves at the current rate, it should be enough to avoid most pitfalls while maintaining full player control.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »

I think a button to toggle fleet wide repairs was suggested several times, so I though I'd try something new ;)  An automatic system has of course always disadvantages, but I think here they are outweighed by saving your fleet from starvation.

Not sure if the ability bar would be the right place, so far abilities seem more about interaction with the environment than fleet management (which has its own screen).
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 04:52:40 PM »

I am in agreement with this. Though I am more in favor of repairs and CR recovery automatically switching off when supplies are below a certain threshold. In my experience, since running out of supplies reduces CR fleet-wide it is almost universally better to suspend repairs and CR recovery when low and instead utilize a specific stockpile for daily maintenance. This is because even if only one expensive ship (your flagship or a single hi-tech heavy fighter wing) makes you run out completely the cost of replenishing the entire fleets CR because of a global drain is almost always way more expensive overall.

It would be even better if this threshold could be set by the player in the fleet screen. That is really easy to scale complexity off of too. It could be as simple as an on/off switch for the whole fleet past X number of supplies, or individually set ship-to-ship to allow greater customization of fleet logistics.

All really depends upon how much the added complexity benefits the overall "feel" of the game for a new player, but like I said there are a wide range of options with this sort of thing.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 07:35:41 AM »

Would be very nice. At X days of supplies left, scale down consumption to maintain it at X days, as long as possible. Cut down repairs, then maintanace.
Loss of maintance would reduce maximum combat readiness, slow recovery, and cause CR decay.

Its something I kinda do manually anyway. Needs to be customizable, and disableable however.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire