Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Homeworld Remastered 2.0  (Read 7018 times)

theplayerx4734

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Homeworld Remastered 2.0
« on: June 11, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »

When HWR Launched, they failed and used the HW2 engine. But now they have HW1 tactics!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Homeworld Remastered 2.0
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »

And from what I read the now use actual projectile physics instead of RNG hit calculation. Hope that brings back the more visceral feel of the combat of HW1. Definitely will try it out later.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 03:56:14 PM »

And from what I read the now use actual projectile physics instead of RNG hit calculation. \
Wait WHAT?! They used RNG in a freaking strategy game? WHY?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 04:10:20 PM »

And from what I read the now use actual projectile physics instead of RNG hit calculation. \

Whether you have a simple hit%, or a random deviation + complete projectile trace, there's always (pseudo) randomness involved.

Hell, even if the projectile traces were completely deterministic & 100% accurate, there would still be pseudo-random behaviour from floating point imprecision.

If the (far less computationally expensive) hit% calculation sufficiently approximates the modelling of a physics driven projectile simulation, then scalability* is a compelling reason to use the simpler approach.

*either consuming less power, demanding lesser hardware, or allowing larger battles.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 12:00:56 AM »

It's also far easier to balance with RNG precision, since you know the "real" DPS against each type of enemies. It's not dependent on too many variables including the shape of the ship.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 08:42:35 AM »

So how does pulse beams PD work now? They just kill all fighters instantly?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »

I actually bought the collection on GOG a few days before you posted this (sale) - been having a blast. I never played the original, though, so I can't say how different it is.

I've been playing skirmishes against the AI as Kusharans (as I'm almost done with their campaign so know their ships a bit) and have found the Drone Frigates to be brutally effective during the initial assault.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 04:23:45 AM »

Whether you have a simple hit%, or a random deviation + complete projectile trace, there's always (pseudo) randomness involved.

Hell, even if the projectile traces were completely deterministic & 100% accurate, there would still be pseudo-random behaviour from floating point imprecision.

If the (far less computationally expensive) hit% calculation sufficiently approximates the modelling of a physics driven projectile simulation, then scalability* is a compelling reason to use the simpler approach.

*either consuming less power, demanding lesser hardware, or allowing larger battles.

All I gathered from that statement is that you're in fact a wizard and use long words in a clever way. Therefore yes
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)