Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Besides Planetary Surveys, what do you really want in the next update?  (Read 19457 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile

Do not see why we need to double-click when pressing a button to toggle ala Transcendence should be an option.
We need it because I for one don't want the current push-to-speed-time to be removed, but I sometimes could use the toggle. So I propose a compromise that can satisfy both, instead of forcing to choose either in the options.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

If "push-to-speed" must remain, I want the behavior to be inverted, that is, running is default, normal is push button.  Just like in classic Doom, I almost always have a finger on the speed button, and even double speed from running on the campaign map is too slow.  I still think a toggle is a better idea.

EDIT:  I do not want toggling to be double-click because it makes toggling unsuitable for split-second twitch-switching.

EDIT #2:  Better compromise would be to add functionality to [Caps Lock] and make it the toggle for [Shift], so that people do not need to constantly hold Shift to run.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:30:30 AM by Megas »

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Caps-Lock and Shift seems like it should be a thing, yeah.

Zeomox

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I would absolutely LOVE to see... landing on planets!! Not only would you land on the planets but you'd take a little vehicle out (uses same fuel as hyperspace?) onto the planet to gather resources (metals, organics, food) & you could stumble upon alien artifacts that you could sell. This is something that I REALLY loved about STARFLIGHT! pictured here: http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/0/9351/440855-stara9.jpg

You had to be careful not to travel too far from you ship because you'd get stuck. You would also be able to relaunch your chip and land in a different part of the planet. Starflight used something they called Fractal Planets to create the maps, granted it took them 10 years, or something like that, to make though.

-ZeoMox

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

i definitely see Alex doing that
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile

I would absolutely LOVE to see... landing on planets!! Not only would you land on the planets but you'd take a little vehicle out (uses same fuel as hyperspace?) onto the planet to gather resources (metals, organics, food) & you could stumble upon alien artifacts that you could sell. This is something that I REALLY loved about STARFLIGHT! pictured here: http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/0/9351/440855-stara9.jpg

You had to be careful not to travel too far from you ship because you'd get stuck. You would also be able to relaunch your chip and land in a different part of the planet. Starflight used something they called Fractal Planets to create the maps, granted it took them 10 years, or something like that, to make though.

-ZeoMox

That sounds cool and all, but I'd rather Alex released the game within the decade...

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile

I've toyed with the idea of modding something like that, in a much more limited form (mission-only small-scale land combat); it would take nontrivial man-hours just to get vehicle-like driving behavior and simulate planetary terrain, though, let alone to make it fun and integrate it well into the existing game.

In theory all the pieces are there, though, and lots of the stuff ships do could be reused; refittable turrets would work just fine, fighters could be used to simulate infantry and flight decks to simulate troop compartments, drones carry over nicely with some decorative helicopter blades or hoverjets. Perhaps we'll see something after 1.0 drops.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile

I've toyed with the idea of modding something like that, in a much more limited form (mission-only small-scale land combat); it would take nontrivial man-hours just to get vehicle-like driving behavior and simulate planetary terrain, though, let alone to make it fun and integrate it well into the existing game.

In theory all the pieces are there, though, and lots of the stuff ships do could be reused; refittable turrets would work just fine, fighters could be used to simulate infantry and flight decks to simulate troop compartments, drones carry over nicely with some decorative helicopter blades or hoverjets. Perhaps we'll see something after 1.0 drops.

Isn't there a land war mod buried deep within the modding section? And one of the earliest codes in the radioactive code dump is about putting tank like physics in the game.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile

Isn't there a land war mod buried deep within the modding section? And one of the earliest codes in the radioactive code dump is about putting tank like physics in the game.

Neither has actually been finalized, which suggests that it's harder than it looks. You'd effectively be writing a new game inside the Starsector engine; not impossible, just very difficult, and effort better spent on making a new, standalone game.

I mean, if Alex decides to do it, I'll be spriting up little space tanks the day after he announces it. But it would be a lot of work to do even a half-assed job.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:58:42 AM by Soren »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile

The single most problematic issue with a "land" mod is that the background is fixed to the camera. So even if your units won't "drift" in space, the ground will slide under their feet as you look around. There is also no texture tiling for the background so you will have resolution issues as well.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

yeah i can tell you for a fact that taking a game like Starsector with the sliding separate-layer background and loose camera and making it switch to and from that and a fixed central 2d perspective is an incredible, incredible pain in the ass.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

instago

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Re: Besides Planetary Surveys, what do you really want in the next update?

More 4x stuff. And maybe we'll get a few new graphical effects here and there. :)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I think as cool as creating some some Starflight-esque world exploration mechanic would be it's maybe a little 'too much' for the game.

Something along the lines of the current 'after action' texts with numbered options will be perfectly fine.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile

yeah i can tell you for a fact that taking a game like Starsector with the sliding separate-layer background and loose camera and making it switch to and from that and a fixed central 2d perspective is an incredible, incredible pain in the ass.

Well, why do you even need 'land' combat? Why not 'sky' combat? Like, having your craft fly about in the 'sky' of the planet?

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yep. Combat in low orbit, with a slowly rotating landscape below. Clouds and storms. Some heavy penalties to movement, maybe even ballistic drag to simulate wind. A lot of cool things can be done here that would give us a 'new' combat type. Space combat is generally always the same. Differing terrain conditions in general would be a big improvement. Something similar could happen inside of hyperspace clouds (random EMPs and shield flicker), asteroid fields (projectile hailstorms) etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4