Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Least favourite/useful weapon?  (Read 18376 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Least favourite/useful weapon?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 03:49:57 PM »

I consider Annihilators one of the better choices, perhaps the best of the 4 OP options.  Excellent total damage and good anti-armor.  AI tends to block shots with Annihilator sprays.  As for mediums, they are on par with Typhoon Reapers in damage, but much better for AI because AI will use Annihilators unlike hoarding Reapers.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2016, 05:14:11 PM »

My dislike of annihilators progressed to the stage where I replaced them with hammers so I no longer have to suffer thier obnoxious quirks. (I really hate 'knife fighting' in case you couldn't tell :P )

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »

I find it strange that you are okay with Hammers (which are harder to hit frigates/destroyers with) but dislike Annihilators... O_o

I like Hammers as a very cheap way to add some teeth to your own frigates/destroyers but trying to hit something fast and small at long range is pretty damn hard to do with them.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2016, 02:42:21 AM »

I'm not hugely enamoured with hammers tbh, but they are far easier to hit frigates with because they're so quick and they fly exactly where you point them. Annihilators move too slowly, and since they spread most of them miss anyway unless you're almost touching your target - which is the worst possible place for me as I don't have the reactions to play like that.
And torpedo sniping is definitely a thing, the missile will still hit for full damage after the engine expires. Not a terribly efficient or effective thing, but you can do it.

I'd prefer something a little more 'autonomous' really, but markets and loot seem to have decided that's a big nope.
My feeling about annihilators is very similar to the arblest - too slow, too difficult to aim, and thus quite frustrating to use.
Diff'rent strokes.

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2016, 05:11:16 AM »

Every weapon has some kind of a purpose for me, no matter how niche, except for one: the Thumper.

The blasted thing has barely any value in a support role, let alone an offensive one.

The only case that I can think of where it plays a significant role is when mounted on the Eagle(D) (the Standard vanilla loadout). If caught in a fight w/a Pirate fleet that has a few of these, they make for good spearheads (as far as Pirate fleets go); in early game, frigates/some destroyers get overwhelmed pretty fast if caught in range of its Thumpers (assuming the three Tactical lasers and Graviton beams are already firing on the ship).

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2016, 05:39:02 AM »

The Thumper is a weapon that looks good (or at least usable) on the paper but just doesn't works due to its hidden stats.

Charge-up time, slow projectile and abysmal turning rate while firing, all of those combined are the main reasons the Thumper can rarely hit its mark. Without those flaws, the Thumper would be an interesting, if niche, weapon that can reliably "crit" unarmored spots on a target.

Alas, it's currently not good enough to do the job it was (supposedly) designed to do. The Vulcan, despite its crappy range, is much more reliable and powerful in comparison.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2016, 07:16:26 AM »

The Thumper is a weapon that looks good (or at least usable) on the paper but just doesn't works due to its hidden stats.
Alas, it's currently not good enough to do the job it was (supposedly) designed to do. The Vulcan, despite its crappy range, is much more reliable and powerful in comparison.
I use either Vulcan or Dual Flak instead of Thumper.  Both have similar fragmentation DPS.  Vulcan trades range for less OP and the best PD for small mounts, and dual flak trades OP for the best PD in the game.  Thumper is a (D) weapon, made for (D) ships.

Re: Annihilator
Aside from having high DPS at point-blank range (very useful for Lasher when attacking fleeing ships), small Annihilators are also good for throwing an chaff screen in front of the ship to block enemy fire.  I put four Annihilators on an AI Enforcer, and they throw up a wall of missiles that block enemy fire and maybe hit the enemy for some damage.

Re: Hammer
It is the poor-man's Reaper that can be found in open market.  Decent for those with Missile Specialization less than 5.  For those with Missile Specialization 5 or more, Reapers completely outclass Hammers.  Two shots at 4000 damage vs. three shots at 1500(?) damage for the same OP cost?  I know what I will take - the one with more damage!

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2016, 05:13:59 PM »

Yeah, one of the best uses for Annihilators is just to make space for yourself.  It creates an area where the enemy can't pass without keeping their shields up, so you can do stuff like throw up an Annihilator screen to back up and vent behind.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2016, 04:43:42 AM »

Thumpers are super gimmicky. They have multiple handicaps rolled into one weapon, which results in something only useful if you have literally no alternatives available. They are OK against weak shields or, situationally, to finish off weakened enemies, but at the same time, their spin-up, "not accurate enough, not inaccurate enough" nature and slow projectiles prevent them from being as good against fighters and very light targets as their damage type and lore should indicate. Any other weapon will be a better option, including small ballistics in a medium slot.

In my opinion, the Thumper needs increased DPS, increased ROF, decreased spin-up, or increased projectile speed. It's OK for there to be some bad weapons in the game as it fits the setting, but I still think it could do with a niche in which you might still pick it over a competing weapon, provided it fits the loadout in question. With more spread/ROF, Thumpers would let you wall out enemy missiles from your target and shred fighters in a sustained firefight, and still do OK damage against shields and hull.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:51:50 AM by Cycerin »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2016, 04:50:52 AM »

A high projectile speed Thumper is actually a very decent weapon: then it act like an energy weapon in a ballistic slot although with a low armor penetration. With a couple of Harpoons to deal with that you can make some very dangerous cheap variants.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2016, 05:08:23 AM »

Slow shot speed is the least of my concerns with Thumper.  Speeding up Thumper's shots, while leaving everything else the same would still leave Thumper as useless as ever.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2016, 07:48:42 PM »

A high projectile speed Thumper is actually a very decent weapon: then it act like an energy weapon in a ballistic slot although with a low armor penetration. With a couple of Harpoons to deal with that you can make some very dangerous cheap variants.

isn't this literally what the Scy Miniguns are?

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2016, 04:01:40 AM »

re: Thumper.

I just tried changing some numbers and this makes them feel a little more useful:
Spoiler
turnrate        15 -> 30
chargeup       0.5 -> 0.25
chargedown   0.2 -> 0.1
burstdelay     0.2 -> 0.1
projspeed      800 -> 1000
[close]

They're still not brilliant, but they are something I'd actually consdier using like this.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2016, 01:23:12 PM »

isn't this literally what the Scy Miniguns are?

SCY Minigun / BRDY Particle Rifle are both practically "good thumpers", in that they are competitive fragmentation weapons that arent PD by design. And funnily enough, both deal a little Energy damage mixed in...
Pages: 1 2 [3]