Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Request: Sensor/Detection rings  (Read 3301 times)

braven25

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Request: Sensor/Detection rings
« on: May 19, 2016, 03:37:22 AM »

I not sure if this is possible, but I feel a really great mod would be a visible Sensor/Detection rings that takes into account sensor range and detection range of your ship and those around you.

I think it very hard to visualise how close you can get to targets without being detected.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Sensor/Detection rings
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 08:12:50 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

I believe this is already in the base game - you can see the sensor circles of other fleets (for how they can detect you) in the color of their faction.

braven25

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 08:35:03 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

I believe this is already in the base game - you can see the sensor circles of other fleets (for how they can detect you) in the color of their faction.

yea i have noticed them, but the so feint and brief that if they more than couple signals then your going to miss them unless you pause at exact right moment.

I was kind of hoping for something more obvious so you can litterally study the scan lines to fine holes in system patrols, and preferebly toggle on/off so it not spammy when your not sneaking, I even accept it if it was only available with certain equipment or skills so sake of game balancing etc.

its really awsome those asteroid belts etc are not just for show and can hide you, things like that can make stealth very viable which is angle i going for

Beside that tho, the game seem really awsome, and sure look forward to seeing what this game be like when it officially leaves alpha
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:38:19 AM by braven25 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 09:01:27 AM »

Hi!

The thing is, the detection range is based on both the sensor range of the detecting fleet, and the sensor profile of the fleet being detected. There's no "sensor range" that's universal for all fleets; the number you see in the UI is for an "average" fleet, mainly just there to give you a reference number to see how your sensor range goes up and down, but does not indicate the *actual* range.

yea i have noticed them, but the so feint and brief that if they more than couple signals then your going to miss them unless you pause at exact right moment.

That's probably when the sensor range of another fleet is expanding due to it using an active sensor burst. Under normal circumstances, these are much more consistent and easy to read. I'd recommend  saving your game, "going dark" around a market, and experimenting trying to sneak in, to get a feel for it. The current detection range indicators were made with exactly this use in mind.

braven25

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »

Hi!

The thing is, the detection range is based on both the sensor range of the detecting fleet, and the sensor profile of the fleet being detected. There's no "sensor range" that's universal for all fleets; the number you see in the UI is for an "average" fleet, mainly just there to give you a reference number to see how your sensor range goes up and down, but does not indicate the *actual* range.

That's probably when the sensor range of another fleet is expanding due to it using an active sensor burst. Under normal circumstances, these are much more consistent and easy to read. I'd recommend  saving your game, "going dark" around a market, and experimenting trying to sneak in, to get a feel for it. The current detection range indicators were made with exactly this use in mind.

the sensor burst ones are pretty obvious, but yea thats kinda what i try do use hide spot that reduce signiture do small sensor burst while my sig is masked if i sure they nothing too close, just to peek that little further.

I still early game tho, so I prob not reall got the best tech for it yet.

I love the complexity of everything tho, make a chsnge from the mass of over simplified games these days

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 11:00:44 PM »

Drawing detection range against fleet of same sensor profile as your sensor strength might still be useful. Even though it isn't your precise "detection range", it could serve as baseline for comparison.
Same for sensor profile range.