Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Developing the Mora-class Carrier  (Read 37491 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Developing the Mora-class Carrier
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 04:28:39 AM »

Looking fine, I like the rusty aesthetics. :)

I think you went a bit overboard with simplifying the bridge, I liked it much better in this iteration:

Concerning the Venture, I would change its flight deck to a (borer-) drone bay and up its logistic stats a bit. Like a super Shepherd.

And a random thought: This last picture made me think that it would help a lot to sale the scale of fighters if bombs would drop (i.e. get smaller) when over a capital target before they explode.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 06:08:51 AM »

Another great beauty.

HASHTAG BRICK SHIPS FOREVAR
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

HGScout

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 09:53:54 AM »

another ship? this looks like it would be fun customizing it. also, that old, broken down and patched up look is great. and by the gods, that painting process takes long. but it was helpful reading it down.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 02:33:35 PM »

honestly, i really didn't like how it looked at the start. still too bricky, and i'm not a big fan of more-wide-than-long starship shapes. but i gotta say, throughout the blog post it's really grown on me. i quite like the end(ish) result! my favorite parts are the neatly defined bridge and crew compartments, and the shiny launch bay glows. =)

i think it's a shame it didn't end up with composite mounts, they seem like a great fit for this ship.
i'd actually like to see more of these special mounts in general. there are so many things that differentiate ships from each other in this game, i really don't see adding some more flexibility in what weapons can be mounted as something negative. and having to choose not just between different weapons of one type, but also between different types makes coming up with new loadouts more interesting, imo. modders seem to like making frequent use of the special mounts, and in my experience it usually works out very well.

i can't quite decide whether i like the idea of it having Damper Field. on the one hand, i do like the idea of a slow but really tough carrier that's supposed to fight at the front lines. but on the other hand 1) Damper Field is already really strong on frigates, putting it on a well armored cruiser seems kinda crazy, and 2) a major part of Damper Field is supposed to be its drawback of disabling all weapons while active. since the primary power of this ship comes from its flight decks, that doesn't seem like a particularly good fit.

regardless, i'm still very much looking forward to trying this thing myself, great job as always!

oh, and, +1 for the happy little turret. ^_^

also, i think i found a small error in the blog post: example 3 of Lines, Shapes, and Form says "darker on the left, lighter on a right", which seems to be the wrong way round.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 07:12:28 PM »

Sweet, sweet work. Love the ship and the writing. :)

The technical aspect of this blog post is definitely going to be useful if/when I get back into the modding groove! So, thank you for taking the time to painstakingly write it all out. I'm sure writing a 1/2 of War & Peace can be a little draining at times.

Carrier mechanic rework, hype!

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 10:05:02 PM »

Quote from: David
(And without any detail at all, the Venture might receive some changes to better distinguish its role. No idea what that'll look like yet of course.)
Hopefully, that means burn 8, or whatever the cruiser standard is.
second that

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 03:00:16 AM »

How many flight decks?

I like it, apart from the displeasing idea of having two asymmetric swerving turrets, one missile and one ballistic. On the other hand, missile turrets are cool and should be more plentiful, since annihilator pods are really strong.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 03:17:27 AM »

I really hope for a variant of the "fighters are a weapon type" idea :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 10:23:29 AM »

How many flight decks?

I like it, apart from the displeasing idea of having two asymmetric swerving turrets, one missile and one ballistic. On the other hand, missile turrets are cool and should be more plentiful, since annihilator pods are really strong.

Three flight decks now but that's very open to change, as noted.

In the latest iteration both turrets are missiles so you're all clear for annihilator spam.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 10:33:46 AM »

i'm thinking three flight decks, two medium turrets, a whole bunch of small turrets, and great toughness is too much for a cruiser, particular one that has a bit of a troubled past with conversions back and forth. i suppose it could be classified as heavy cruiser carrier, but then the sprite seems a bit too small.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 11:30:12 AM »

You need to bear in mind that it has horrible flux stats, very low OP and will probably have poor out-of-combat stats as well. Get the whole picture before ya talk about balance!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »

Remember the Scarab.  It has many mounts for a frigate, but has difficulty filling all of them even with max OP.  Also, their arcs do not overlap very well, much like Centurion.  This new Mora could be like the Scarab in that way.  And, yes, 5000 base flux is hideously low for a cruiser (and I probably would want at least 5 capacitors, which I do for the Heron).  Mora probably will not overpower much by itself.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 01:06:36 PM »

you got a point with the low OP, but poor flux stats don't matter much (relative to other ships', that is) when its power mainly comes from flight decks, missiles and heavy armor.

all balance talk and such is of course just what i think right now, it might well change when i get to play it myself. but the wait is painful enough, so anything new to talk about is good! ^^

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 02:46:20 PM »

The Mora could perform quite well should the player somehow condescend to flagship one over another cruiser (which wouldnt be for very long, I imagine) but in AI hands the extremely low flux cap wont matter that much given the ship can "rest" in damper field, making the ship deceptively strong from what I can theorize.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2016, 09:43:32 PM »

Very nice! I especially liked the discussions on the art skills - I've never had any training beyond the elementary school level, so its all really cool to me.

I really hope for a variant of the "fighters are a weapon type" idea :)

Me too so much! Give the Hammerhead back its 6 hangar points so I can launch a broadsword wing from it again!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5