Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Planetary Surveys  (Read 47430 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Surveys
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2016, 12:39:12 PM »

Oh.  I saw a comment about previously unknown small colonies being discovered in Surveying and it brought a question to mind.

Are there Aliens in this Sector of Stars?  :P  (Sorry if this is already addressed or obvious.)

Or just stranded humans?

The are certainly aliens in the Sector. Just look at Jangala - it's full of non-Terran life forms.

:D

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2016, 12:55:03 PM »

Oh.  I saw a comment about previously unknown small colonies being discovered in Surveying and it brought a question to mind.

Are there Aliens in this Sector of Stars?  :P  (Sorry if this is already addressed or obvious.)

Or just stranded humans?

The are certainly aliens in the Sector. Just look at Jangala - it's full of non-Terran life forms.

:D

Oh no!  Now I have to go look at Jangala in detail tonight to find out if humor is in play here, or if I'm just missing something, ha ha!  :D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2016, 07:11:08 PM »

Or just stranded humans?

Spoiler
aliens? Yes

Spoiler
sentient aliens? No
[close]
[close]
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »

Oh.  I saw a comment about previously unknown small colonies being discovered in Surveying and it brought a question to mind.

Are there Aliens in this Sector of Stars?  :P  (Sorry if this is already addressed or obvious.)

Or just stranded humans?

Spoiler
aliens? Yes

Spoiler
sentient aliens? No
[close]
[close]
Spoiler
We never know, tho. Maybe these jungles posess a Hive Mind or two... :P
[close]

Since random sector generation is now a thing, I'd assume there will be random markets... How would economy system go with it?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:39:55 PM by Aron0621 »

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2016, 05:16:38 AM »

Regarding the idea of having your surveys be interrupted by hostiles: SPAZ 2 had a nice way of dealing with this, performing an action (harvesting) accelerated time around you.

Also, star systems could be a wee bigger than they are now (they are huge IRL) so that you can have more content into them without flooding the star map with new ones. (if that isn't your intention)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 05:19:54 AM by Sabaton »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2016, 05:30:24 AM »

Also, star systems could be a wee bigger than they are now (they are huge IRL) so that you can have more content into them without flooding the star map with new ones. (if that isn't your intention)
I do not want the old Valhalla system back.  That system was huge, and was nothing but pain (anything useful you did there angered a faction).  I avoided that system unless it had a named bounty fleet hiding there.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2016, 12:23:09 PM »

Since random sector generation is now a thing, I'd assume there will be random markets... How would economy system go with it?

I'm not sure why you'd assume that :) In my mind this isn't directly related to procedural generation of more star systems. Not to say there won't be some dynamic markets, but the economy is quite capable of dealing with that; not sure I understand that question.

Regarding the idea of having your surveys be interrupted by hostiles: SPAZ 2 had a nice way of dealing with this, performing an action (harvesting) accelerated time around you.

Right - Mount & Blade also did something like this - rather, pretty much exactly this - with waiting/looting villages/etc. For Starsector, I don't think speeding up the game beyond what pressing shift already does is viable, performance-wise. I'm also not exactly decided on whether this kind of approach is good in general. If it's something that happens often, it could get annoying, fast-time or not.

For example, say the game design goal is "your action can be interrupted by hostiles" - but, really, is it that, or is it more that you want the action to possibly result in running into hostiles? If it's the latter, which I think it more often is, or is at least a good substitute for the former, performing the action could just trigger nearby hostiles to go look for you, no waiting required.

Still thinking this through, though, so might change my mind.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2016, 05:19:39 PM »

If the intention is for surveys to take time (which seems sensible) how about doing a survey consists of dropping off the necessary materials (including crew and maybe even a ship to ferry them around) and the survey runs without further player input in the background. Get a message when they're done and pick up your people/materials/results.

That would also be a good place for survey skill benefits - shorter survey times, which is a nice-to-have thing, but doesn't penalize you for doing surveys with less skill (you still get the same result, just slower) so it wouldn't lead to the old "full skill or don't bother" problem.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 05:21:11 PM by DatonKallandor »

namp007

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2016, 08:54:51 AM »

Holy feces having intercourse!

Every now and then I visit the site, check the blog page for news.
I read that blog post today and I think I had an orgasm of sorts!

This implementation of colonisation that you have worked out.. is exactly how I want to be.
Not a tedious chore, not a "must-stat" thing, its existence prevents just claiming every damn planet you have in sight.

Now all I need is a nice randomness factor in the planets so that the min-max'er inside of me can spend countless hours of searching for the perfect planet (or cluster of planets).
I can already imagine spending 300 hours looking for a planet with a market that has (nearly) everything and a population of 10^8.

So far I had to fill the "dominate the universe" void with Nexellerin, can't wait to have this instead.

Now all I have left is the question of finite or infinite universe. (Personally favor infinite)
(Haven't read all the comments here, which I will do now to gather more knowledge!)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 08:54:55 AM by namp007 »

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »

Alex said the sector won't be much bigger than it is now. Its because the game simulates everything that happens in the sector which means if it is too big it will run slowly. Too bad - it would be cool to have a huge universe. But its also cool to have it all constantly running. And huge universes are getting to be a dime a dozen nowadays.

Kix

• Ensign
  • i will become god
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2016, 10:23:24 PM »

Instead of making surveying dangerous planets a complete non-option for low-level surveyors, would one consider the possibility of simply making it prohibitively expensive to do so?

Like, what if i've got everything set up pretty nice and dandy and i'm just missing this ONE planet to make it all complete, but theres no option other than to max out surveying in order to actually get it?
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »

Planetary Surveys are too much for my heart.. the game.. is expanding.. in such wonderful ways..
Ignorance is bliss..
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]