Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Developing the Mora-class Carrier  (Read 37486 times)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Developing the Mora-class Carrier
« on: May 15, 2016, 04:32:54 PM »

Blog post here.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:34:30 PM by David »

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Developing the Mora-class Carrier
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 04:47:06 PM »

Sweet-looking ride. I like the broad arrowhead shape.

Would maybe tinker with the weapon mounts a bit. I'd stack the missile slots together somewhere so the mounts don't look so perfectly spread out.

Actually.. on second glance, they're probably fine the way they are.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:50:04 PM by Schwartz »

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 04:54:01 PM »

Oh yeah, they're getting moved around a little more - as noted in the final paragraphs (I think), Alex sent over a bit more feedback about weapon layout.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »

Damn, who knew art could get so technical!? I've got a greater appreciation for just how much thought and planning goes into video game art and how it can very much be tied into various other systems that make up the game. You really crammed a lot of thoughts and details in this blog and I'm looking forward to future create-a-ship posts!

Now, I do think it is still too close to the Venture, though. They have the same armor and about the same speed - the Venture even has 20 more OP and from what I took from the blog post the Venture's out-of-combat stats are going to much superior. About the only thing I can tell that this ship has over the Venture is 2000 more hull, 1-2 extra flight decks and sacrifices several medium mounts for a bunch of smalls (but with -20 OP compared the venture, yikes!) ... not very compelling at the moment! I pray it has a Burn Speed of 8 and at least winds up with either more armor or more OP, perhaps both!

EDIT: Oh, just realized that its 12000 hull was a result of the Blast Doors hullmod so it doesn't even have that over the Venture - plus it has 2000 less flux capacity. D:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:30:15 PM by Dri »

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 05:48:23 PM »

(Venture stuff!)

It's true, the Venture is definitely the closest competitor. I would however argue that the Mora is going to have significantly better firepower opportunities.

(And without any detail at all, the Venture might receive some changes to better distinguish its role. No idea what that'll look like yet of course.)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 07:07:35 PM »

Well, something we can probably both agree on is that the Hegemony seriously needs to stop redacting everything! The intel must flow!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 07:31:38 PM »

Quote from: David
(And without any detail at all, the Venture might receive some changes to better distinguish its role. No idea what that'll look like yet of course.)
Hopefully, that means burn 8, or whatever the cruiser standard is.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 07:44:48 PM »

I usually comment in these threads to *** about things, but I figured I'd give you some genuine praise for once. That's probably my favorite sprite now. The hangar bay glow is really tasteful and well done. Next time I make a carrier sprite bay, I might have to put in a glow like that (and hold myself back from adding an obscene glow).

Also, this is perhaps the first time I feel like we've got a solid continuum in terms of time periods going on here.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 08:15:55 PM »

@kazi - Thanks! I'm so happy with that hangar glow too (thatI'llhavetogobackandfixalltheoldones), cough. What, yes?

Plus I think the fact that I was doing a blog post on this forced me to be a bit more rigorous in terms of thought and planning. Okay, that sounds bad 'cause it's like "without doing a blog post, I don't put thought or planning into the ships". But you know - there's an audience to the process, and the process of documenting the creative process adds yet another layer of self-examination.

(Are the time periods that confusing? Maybe we need another Lore blog post or something. You know, to set straight the previous historian's clearly biased telling of recent events; all fringe ultra-Hegemonist propaganda, I tell you!)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 08:29:30 PM »

(Are the time periods that confusing? Maybe we need another Lore blog post or something. You know, to set straight the previous historian's clearly biased telling of recent events; all fringe ultra-Hegemonist propaganda, I tell you!)
Lore blog post? YES PLEASE!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Auraknight

• Commander
  • I am a Knight of Aura.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 08:51:29 PM »

Dunno if it's been said yet, but when you mentioned changing the left missile composite point, you said 'missile online' instead of 'missile only'
Aside from that, I love new stuff to blow up! and this'll make it easier to have more fighters at a lower level, which is always nice!
~Aura be with you

Kanil

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 09:39:16 PM »

I just noticed the happy little turret tag. That's fantastic.

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 09:53:41 PM »

Happy Little Turret was my favorite part of the blog, if only because I smiled at it. Still that's a pretty awesome sprite, as someone who flies carrier groups it'll be nice to have around.

Also lore blog post? Yes please.
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 10:40:18 PM »

Also was intending to include the (almost) every ship in Starsector image in the blog post itself but totally forgot to include it. So here you go anyway:

Spoiler

[close]

Enjoy!

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 03:42:00 AM »

That ship is going to be like that obnoxiously loud fly that always manage to get in your room. It will constantly rub its cruiser-sized bum up your face during the whole battle but you won't bother to kill it because it would take too much ammo/time. Also, two launch bays i guess?

And thanks for the painting tips, definitely going to read it again when i'll make some more sprites myself.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:22:28 AM by HELMUT »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5