Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My fleet isn't worth the supplies it takes to attack it, so why bother?  (Read 1938 times)

Gorgonson

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Fellow Pilots,

I'm sure you've all been there - a novice with a small-but-loyal crew, or perhaps a veteran flying back home after a scrap gone awry.  Suddenly, out of nowhere, an entire Hegemony Strike Fleet bears down upon you - or maybe it's those Luddic Path zealots, or an armada of cocksure Pirates.
Either way, I'm sure you've all been there - your small, insignificant fleet, up against insurmountable odds.  With twelve-thousand credits and a handful of supplies to your name, how - I hear you ask - am I possibly worth the trouble it takes to attack me?

You aren't, or at least you shouldn't be.

Unless you are public-enemy number-one, or have a bounty on your head - which doesn't happen often enough, let's face it - you shouldn't be a target for a fleet of such size.  You're a distraction, a nuisance at most.
We should band together and appeal to a higher power - for change, or at least answers.

Alright! Now who wants to buy me a drink?

---

Hi,

I know this is a game.  Even so, I have difficulty dealing with overwhelmingly powerful fleets destroying me from time to time.
Are you all happy with the state of big-fishy-eat-little-fishy in Starsector?  It doesn't seem reasonable from an in-character perspective for a fleet to deploy dozens of supplies worth of ships just to catch and destroy something worth marginally less.

If this were to be changed so that fleets wouldn't automatically pursue smaller fleets that are below a certain threshold of supply consumption, I feel it would make the early-game a more enjoyable experience.  In addition to the lower likelihood of being utterly destroyed, this would leave more small-to-medium sized fleets to roam around the sector, increasing the likelihood of balanced early-game encounters.

How would you all feel about this change?
Alex, if you post here, what do you think?

Regards,
- G

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile

I've brought up (at least some of) this before, with a reply from Alex. Here

Gorgonson

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

It seems we're on a similar page.  It's good to know that you've gained Alex's attention regarding the issue.
I like how the link you posted contains a link to another thread on the same subject - your relentless pursuit of answers is gloriously ironic, given the topic at hand.
Did you ever resolve the controllable behaviours mentioned in the 'Managing Fleet Aggression' thread?

Thanks,
- G

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile

I considered the workaround I had in Nexerelin adequate for the purpose (at least I didn't use the ability enough to care about the defects it might have in this regard), so I didn't try implementing the workarounds yet. (Modifying the FleetInteractionDialogPlugin seems a bit excessive for Nexerelin anyway, though I might put it in SS+)