Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Increasing late game difficulty-import other player's fleets into late game  (Read 2233 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

So most people think that player fleets get very powerful relative to enemies in the late game. This is a common occurrence in these ship-customization games as players level up and master their unit designs.

The solution found by a couple of games, Gratuitous Space Battles and Reassembly, was to import other player-customized fleets as late game enemies. This would allow much more effective enemies fleets, made of ships that someone had manually made to complement each other, as opposed to be randomly picked from a list. It will also make it easier to populate the game with enemy fleets of varying difficulty levels, as there will no longer be a need to manually create ship variants that takes into account the various level of combat and technology bonus.

Finally it would be fun for players to be able to indirectly combat each other. "Congratulations, you've received 450,000 bounty payment for destroying goduranus' fleet!"

If this game makes it onto steam, I think it could use the workshop as a place for sharing fleet configuration. So at any point in game, the player can open the escape menu and publish the game to workship(the Gratuitous Space Battles method), or the fleet be automatically uploaded periodically(Reassembly method), and any player connected to steam could automatically see these doom fleets popping up in their game with several maxed tech Onslaughts having lv-20 officers.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Part of the reason is player can exploit game mechanics much better than AI.  Player vent-spams, AI does not (except Mudskipper II).  AI loves to keep shields up all of the time, even with low-tech ships, and needs Power Grid Modulation 10 for hard flux dissipation to patch that weakness somewhat.  AI will not hug the walls or corner to prevent ships from surrounding it.  AI cannot use flux-hungry weapons very well.  AI has trouble piloting broadside ships.  AI simply does not have as much game mastery.

One advantage AI will always have - more ships.  The most difficult battles are extended battles with multiple detachments and/or patrols, with ships far exceeding your twenty-five.  Even a lone detachment can have about forty ships, and can combine with other fleets for more.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I really like old days when AI ships could fight one on one with player ships, the way things were before thr skill system :-[

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Not me.  Those were the dark ages - glacially slow ships, no OP to get what I want on most ships.  Skills have really spoiled me; it is the only way to play for me.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile

I kinda liked the old days, ships actually performed as I expected they would. skills kinda just turns all the things to max and goes with it, so now we have battleships flying as fast as frigates, and other classes doing all these fabelous things they really shouldn't be capable of doing.

I entirely encourage the skill system, but the modifiers are way to strong, instead of 50% increases in whatever, it should be 5%,  max combat? 10% more damage, 5% less OP cost, 10% more mobile etc, instead of double everything and then some, but they will get revisited soon enough, so lets see what happens.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Its the speed that really annoys me. I frequently play 'no skills' (I find it fun, I know I'm weird) and the other day my Wolf, with unstable injector, was unable to catch an enemy officered Heron. I assume it was a timid officer with helmsmanship, but... seriously? My frigate, with a speed boost hullmod and a mobility system, was unable to catch a cruiser?

On Topic: This could be fun, but I would want it as a separate mode rather than as part of the base game. A "Challenges" board that was networked, where you had a certain budget to put together a fleet to challenge whatever was on there.