Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Torpedoes that don't arm in time should do some kinetic damage and not bounce  (Read 4582 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Won't be a lot, but would be a nice touch, as a dud torpedo is still a high speed projectile hitting the hull.

Also it should break apart without detonating as opposed to bouncing, since this is a high speed collision. Even by terrestrial speed standard, dud torpedoes will shatter upon impact.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:21:55 AM by goduranus »

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Torpedoes that don't detonate should do some kinetic damage
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:42:27 AM »

Or actually maybe all munitions AND missiles should travel forever but just become "duds" and do  very slight kinetic damage.

THAT WOULD BE COOL.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 02:51:02 AM »

I can imagine that would become rather laggy with a bunch of duds flying all over the map, a shell or missile of this age would very probably self destruct if it fails to hit it's target.

having an activation range for missiles and torpedoes would be cool tho, like if you launch a reaper at point blank range, it would just bounce on the hull with a loud steel crunching sound, because you need to be like 100 su away in order for the torpedo to arm itself. :)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:28 AM »

having an activation range for missiles and torpedoes would be cool tho, like if you launch a reaper at point blank range, it would just bounce on the hull with a loud steel crunching sound, because you need to be like 100 su away in order for the torpedo to arm itself. :)
Ummmm, do you not have the latest SS version? That is already in the game
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 01:03:19 PM »

And let me tell you it makes triple-clarent harbingers a blast to use up close
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 12:35:18 AM »

Sadly I do not have that version,  :'( I havn't touched this game in well over a year, I burned out super hard and i just cannot play it anymore.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 11:19:40 PM »

I can imagine that would become rather laggy with a bunch of duds flying all over the map
Which is why, although it pretty much worked like the OP suggested early on, it no longer does.  Giant salvos of rockets were lag-monsters.

That, and it's silly; it kind of forcefully reminds us that in StarSector, Space is flat.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 02:21:32 AM »

Huh? I meant to suggest that torpedoes which fails to arm should do a tiny amount of kinetic damage, and be crushed and disappear rather than bounce around wildly.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Missiles and torpedoes are ususaly harder and more compact than whatever it is they hit, meaning rather than the torpedo getting crushed by hiting the ship, the armor of the ship would be crushed by the torpedo, so it would either bury itself in the armor and stay there and never explode, or as it is now where they simply bounce of and then drift away.

but having them act as shells and just make a "ding" sound with a few sparks when they fail to arm would probably be more performance friendly.