Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what is the dumbest thing you've done in SS?  (Read 8238 times)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
what is the dumbest thing you've done in SS?
« on: May 05, 2016, 02:03:48 PM »

i just had a rather special kind of "...whoops!" moment:

i was going after the enemies' Heron, slowly wittling it down with my hunter-frigate, and was wondering why my autofire didn't work. i tried different weapon group settings, toggling "hold fire" on and off, but nothing helped. not a big deal though, i just used my primary guns on manual to take it out.

it wasn't until i suddenly encountered a second enemy Heron in a fleet that should've had only one Heron that i realized i had just killed my own Heron, which had moved to where i spotted the enemy earlier, all by myself. and no, i don't have the excuse of being color blind. i just somehow managed to not notice that the target i was shooting at had green status bars. >___<

does anyone else have any similar fail moments to share? :D

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: what is the dumbest thing you've done in SS?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »

I deployed an Onslaught in a big bounty battle once that I had forgotten to fully outfit with weapons/vents/hullmods.

It had only 4 pilums and 3 mjolnirs equipped...

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 04:32:45 PM »

i don't think i've ever deployed a weaponless ship, probably because spending time in the loadout screen, coming up with and testing different configurations is the best part of the game for me.

but if i think mid battle that i want to change something, like "hmm, should put that weapon group on autofire by default" or "better add hullmod x", i tend to forget that again and again after i leaving battle. :/

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 06:05:59 PM »

I somehow managed to get a tunnel vision(yes, in a pausable game) and AM Blasted one of my Enforcer in the engine.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:09:22 PM by Aron0621 »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 06:53:50 PM »

i just somehow managed to not notice that the target i was shooting at had green status bars. >___<
I somehow managed to get a tunnel vision(yes, in a pausable game) and AM Blasted one of my Enforcer in the engine.
"Remember, Friendly Fire Isn't Friendly!"
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 01:18:25 AM »

I just vented and then 0-flux phased my crippled, disarmed ultra-strike starlight harbinger flagship into the guts of a crippled, overloading modonslaught at the end of a battle that had worn our fleets down to just the flagships, only to remember I never fielded my carrier and that my fleet of assault fighters had been waiting on the sidelines to be re-fielded.
Cool to watch tho
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 01:25:46 AM »

I often had the good 'ol "Deploy all" miss-click before civilian were ignored. Complete with the not-enough-orders-to-retreat-them-all option...

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 02:26:47 AM »

I tired to engage a small pirate scout fleet while several large ones hiding behind the deep hyper space some units nearby. I tried to put an good fight before they wiped me out :P
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 06:22:23 AM »

I had this one instance(it wasn't my fault!) I was burn driving with an enforcer to do a x4 reaper torp run on a capital..

AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW a bloody asteroid comes soaring into view doing like a million M/S, smacks my enforcer in the face, knocks it off course(more on that later), just as I launch and my torps all head for my like 1 million credits Minmaxed flagship, which eats ALL of them and explodes, and ofcourse he has my damaged cruisers around him, so THEY explode when he explodes, which in turn kills ALL the destroyers and frigates that were there aswell so they ALSO explode.

Remember how i was knocked of-course which started all this?... yeah... this which can only be described as a supernova going off, caught my own destroyer aswell, so it also died... Entire fleet litteraly got one shotted... because of an asteroid... GAME OVER, all max level officers, all rare bling fitted ships, all that elite crew and credits... gone...

Never been so angry, frustrated and sad in my life. :(  :'(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:26:35 AM by ValkyriaL »

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 06:30:47 AM »

I had this one instance(it wasn't my fault!) I was burn driving with an enforcer to do a x4 reaper torp run on a capital..

AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW a bloody asteroid comes soaring into view doing like a million M/S, smacks my enforcer in the face, knocks it off course(more on that later), just as I launch and my torps all head for my like 1 million credits Minmaxed flagship, which eats ALL of them and explodes, and ofcourse he has my damaged cruisers around him, so THEY explode when he explodes, which in turn kills ALL the destroyers and frigates that were there aswell so they ALSO explode.

Remember how i was knocked of-course which started all this?... yeah... this which can only be described as a supernova going off, caught my own destroyer aswell, so it also died... Entire fleet litteraly got one shotted... because of an asteroid... GAME OVER, all max level officers, all rare bling fitted ships, all that elite crew and credits... gone...

Never been so angry, frustrated and sad in my life. :(  :'(

Please tell me you recoded that...

Volken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 06:52:45 AM »

Something which actually didn't happen in - but happened because of Starsector: After taking a pretty long break from Mechwarrior Online, mostly playing SS I decided to come back to it and while I was playing and because the game has a very similar heat/flux system like SS - I kept pressing V to vent my heat on several occasions and it made me wonder why my heat wasn't going down :D

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 07:31:47 AM »

Something which actually didn't happen in - but happened because of Starsector: After taking a pretty long break from Mechwarrior Online, mostly playing SS I decided to come back to it and while I was playing and because the game has a very similar heat/flux system like SS - I kept pressing V to vent my heat on several occasions and it made me wonder why my heat wasn't going down :D

It did happen more often that i'd like to admit as well. Not just MWO, even random games where there's no heat mechanics of some sort.

Otherwise, the dumbest mistake i regularly make is underestimating the Buffalo MK.II. You never poke a Buffalo, you either kill it immediately or watch it crap itself in a sudden, explosive missile diarrhea (SS+ only, the vanilla variant can't really do that any more).

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 12:07:08 PM »

"Remember, Friendly Fire Isn't Friendly!"
well, the official story is that the enemy was outfitted with an experimental hacking device that screwed with my frigates IFF systems. the only cremen who know better won't talk because airlock.

Never been so angry, frustrated and sad in my life. :(  :'(
uh.. wow. ouch. was that on ironman as well?

suddenly my little Heron accident doesn't seem so bad anymore! ^_^

I kept pressing V to vent my heat on several occasions and it made me wonder why my heat wasn't going down :D
i have a similar problem on occasion, trying to shift+scroll in other programs to speed it up, which somehow fails to work. frustrating.

Otherwise, the dumbest mistake i regularly make is underestimating the Buffalo MK.II. You never poke a Buffalo, you either kill it immediately or watch it crap itself in a sudden, explosive missile diarrhea (SS+ only, the vanilla variant can't really do that any more).
now i'm getting the urge to use an all-Clarents Buffalo MK.II...

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 01:12:40 PM »

Pressing the wrong keys due to playing other games is probably the dumbest thing I do. In all games, actually. Bloody annoying lol.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 02:51:31 PM »

Phase skimming into Harpoons: more often than I want to admit.
Pages: [1] 2