Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: more than 10 officer mod?  (Read 7529 times)

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
more than 10 officer mod?
« on: May 04, 2016, 01:36:09 AM »

like the title says...is it possible to mod this?

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: more than 10 officer mod?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 11:40:49 AM »

I would like to see a mod for this as well.  I realize it's a balancing measure given the current power of officers (due to the power of the skill tree, which I know is on the slate for eventually overhaul), but 10 feels very arbitrary, and really incentivizes me to stick 10 perfectly built officers in well-match matched ships.  I'd enjoy the game more in I knew that if I somehow "messed up" one of my first 10 officers I could train up an 11th in one of my smaller ships to eventually take over the big ship.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:43:26 AM »

This is super easy, actually:

data/config/settings.json, change officerPlayerMax to whatever you want. Eventually it'll most likely be controlled by a player skill.

I'd enjoy the game more in I knew that if I somehow "messed up" one of my first 10 officers I could train up an 11th in one of my smaller ships to eventually take over the big ship.

Just to confirm: you do know you can dismiss an officer, right?

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 12:50:17 PM »

This is super easy, actually:

data/config/settings.json, change officerPlayerMax to whatever you want. Eventually it'll most likely be controlled by a player skill.

I'd enjoy the game more in I knew that if I somehow "messed up" one of my first 10 officers I could train up an 11th in one of my smaller ships to eventually take over the big ship.

Just to confirm: you do know you can dismiss an officer, right?
Thanks!

Yes, I do, but then I have a weak officer in a key ship for a pretty significant stretch of time.  I really liked SS+'s idea where sticking officers in smaller, more vulnerable ships gave them an XP boost (+100% in frigates, +50% in destroyers) so I could train up replacements more quickly - but in SS+ officers could die.  I do remember and largely agree with your rationale for not having officer deaths in the game for the time being, though.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 12:57:50 PM »

Hm.  I'm not seeing how going up to a max of 11 officers is going to help you, then - since in short order you'll end up with 11 officers in key ships and once again not be wanting to dismiss one.

Maybe a better solution would be some sort of soft limit, where you can have as many officers as you want, but the cost to hire a new officer scales up based on how many officers you have?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 04:17:56 PM »

well, for one thing we have a maximum of 25 ships (which includes fighters and noncombat)...not to mention i like to keep my fleet light and fast at the moment.

here's my situation in a nutshell:
i have 4 steady officers, 4 cautious, 1 aggressive and 1 timid. That means i have 1 hammer, 1 off the field carrier, 4 high tech frigates i need to be cautious with, and then i like to have other officers in the default 'steady' setting just for bonuses on the cruisers+

That means i have no real ability to rotate in inexperienced officers without dismissing someone. It's fine the way it is, i'd just really like to have a roster of officers i can tailor to a mission instead of my current skeleton 'officer' crew.

Anyways, thanks, Alex! i'll add an extra 10 due to my player skill and see how that feels.  BTW, i'm going to set the max level to 24...be cool if you had that set even lower (like 14) and have it set to player skill for more. oh, and max ships in fleet gonna set to 36 (say start with max 6 and go up by 3 per level of skill?)
uhm...what's officermaxhireable?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:29:12 PM by majorfreak »

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 11:38:26 PM »

Hm.  I'm not seeing how going up to a max of 11 officers is going to help you, then - since in short order you'll end up with 11 officers in key ships and once again not be wanting to dismiss one.

Maybe a better solution would be some sort of soft limit, where you can have as many officers as you want, but the cost to hire a new officer scales up based on how many officers you have?
It's not a max of eleven - it's a number I really care about equal to how many important ships I have, plus some spares/trainees in my remaining ships.  If the cap is lower than "number if ships that I care about + a few extra" it gets annoying.  Late game that can exceed 10.

A scaling recruitment cost would work as a stopgap solution... but it really just puts a one-time cost barrier between you and an officer in every ship, which is what Alex was preventing with the cap of 10, and I assume there was some logic behind that decision.  I'm not too terribly worried about rebalancing officers at this point, though, as they'll probably change dramatically when the skill system gets revamped, and more when the game progresses to the point where Alex feels it's time to implement officer deaths.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:43:24 PM by Adraius »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 01:22:03 AM »

Would be nice, if we could stockpile extra officers at stations, just like ships/cargo.

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 02:05:17 AM »

Is there any kind of chance for an officers college?

I can only manage to find a few officers and they are always aggressive or timid the 2 least useful types.

9 months into the game, i've visitted most systems at least once and i have 2 cautious officers and 3 aggressive.

I've passed up on the purchase of 2 timid and 3 other aggressive and thats all i've been offered, not a single steady offered!
So is there a chance we will end up with a place where we can sponsor the education of an elite crew member (or maybe a marine?) to create a new officer.
Or to retrain an existing officer?

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 09:39:20 PM »

only 9 months? well, to be honest, it's really difficult to find officers of a specific personality unless you're lucky with the Random Number Generator. I believe it's more of a 'mid-game' endeavour.

Hmmmm...i wonder if the mod 'console commands' has a code for adding officers? or if the config file Alex has in vanilla can be set for more officer spawns?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »

Hmmmm...i wonder if the mod 'console commands' has a code for adding officers? or if the config file Alex has in vanilla can be set for more officer spawns?
Console commands does have a command to add officers to the player fleet: AddOfficer
It allows you to set their level and personality. Use the command "help addofficer" (without the quotes) to see how to use it

In the config file, "officermaxhireable" is how many officers that can be present in game at one time. Increasing this will help you find more officers, thus increasing the chances of finding a likable officer personality
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too