Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SPAZ 2 single player hitting May 19th, 2016. At last.  (Read 18592 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
SPAZ 2 single player hitting May 19th, 2016. At last.
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:43:17 PM »

http://steamcommunity.com/app/252470/discussions/0/364040166693434128/?tscn=1462329201

SPAZ 2 is 3D now but with the option to play in a top-down 2D simulation of the style that the original had. Its biggest new features are that you collect parts and "attach" them to your ship's "Core" (kinda like Legos only each part has stats and stuff) - the other new big thing is a large Star Map that features simulated captains, factions, zombie movements and trade. Both features are something I'm a bit leery of but hopefully they work out.

Anyways, I really enjoyed SPAZ 1, in fact, SPAZ 1 may have been the game (and its forums) that turned me on to Starsector!

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: SPAZ 2 single player hitting May 19th, 2016. At last.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:51:44 PM »

While I been keeping an eye on SPAZ 2 and will no doubt play it at some point.

The modular ships visuals are.... Appallingly bad from my perspective. In addition I am not so sure about the gameplay implications of that design choice either, but I guess we will see about that later.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 08:11:07 PM »

Yeah, for sure dude - I was really put off by the ship design as well. Right away it made me feel like all the ships were just gonna be a big frankenstein-like mess of random parts.

But, oh well... still gonna buy it. Heh

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 09:37:55 PM »

I'll probably wait a little bit on this before I buy it. 

I wasn't enamored with SPAZ in the end; it turned into a boring grind-fest, which was too bad, since the early parts were Fun. 

SPAZ 2's lego-ship concept seems like it came out of, "everybody wants Minecraft-Everything", but it's visually underwhelming and I suspect balance will be very poor at first that largely won't get addressed, like SPAZ did, but if MP is a thing, perhaps it'll get addressed properly, if by no other means than mods.  Speaking of mods, they've said practically zero about supporting them and SPAZ's mod support was basically zero, so I'm not very excited about that part, or the prospect of broken balance that can't be fixed by modders if nobody else.

The Star Map concept, where the other mercenaries do their own thing and you can build bases and stuff... I'm reserving judgement. 

It sounds like it'll be interesting, but I'm not sure about how it's supposed to work, frankly, and we'll just have to see; it sounds like you build bases and do strategic Stuff, then wander around in real-time blowing stuff up to accumulate resources, which sounds like a reasonable system; but I've got some fairly serious reservations about how RNG it's really going to be.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 01:45:28 PM »

I've played Teleglitch, one of the ugliest games to date. I don't fear ugly graphics, bring it!

I'll give it a pass if the game makes up in atmosphere, story, style and gameplay.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 06:24:42 AM »

Game play demo:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:27:16 AM by Sabaton »

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 12:19:04 PM »

Just came out.

Anyone tried it? I'm really worried about the new style. SPAZ 1 was my favorite top down 2D space game until I found Starsector and I really hoped they'd keep that style.

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 01:53:43 PM »

Just came out.

Anyone tried it? I'm really worried about the new style. SPAZ 1 was my favorite top down 2D space game until I found Starsector and I really hoped they'd keep that style.
I believe you can still play topdown if you want.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 12:18:25 PM »

I've played it for a while. It's a very different game from SPAZ1, and Starsector for that matter. The best way I can think of to explain it is that SPAZ1 and Starsector are like WW2 battleships in space, but SPAZ2 is like the Age of Sail in space. The biggest change piloting-wise is that you can't turn into a direction without starting to move in that direction, or at least I haven't found a way to do so. So you can't fly backwards while shooting, etc. It feels a lot like you're steering a wooden boat propelled by sails and oarmen. The way the ships bank into turns instead of just spinning in place also sells the Ye Olde Timeye Boates feel. The old top-down view still exists, but I never found it very helpful. The ships control totally differently, and the third-person viewpoint makes steering a lot more intuitive. The only thing I used the top-down view for was snapping blown-off ship bits back on mid-combat. Oh, your ship parts can get blown off in-combat, and you can knock ship parts off other ships in combat, either by shooting them off or by ramming the other ship with your ship.

The ship system has also been totally changed. Instead of having standardized hulls with turret slots, like Starsector, you basically build a ship out of snap-together legos. The legos are randomized sort of like ARPG loot. Weapons are built into the legos and cannot be swapped out, so if you've got a lego with really good stats but it's got a weapon you hate you can't replace the weapon. The skill tree elements have been almost entirely minimized; you choose one of three random perks on level up, e.g. +20% weapon damage, + 20% shield strength, +10% trading efficiency. The randomization really doesn't matter in the long term, because there's a limited pool of perks and it just pulls 3 perks from that pool, and the one you choose doesn't get put back in the pool. Sort of like a bag of numbered chips from 1 to 45; you pick 3 random ones from the bag, put 1 on your character, put the 2 others back in the bag. Next level, draw 3 chips from the 44 left in the bag, pick 1, put 2 back. Every level 45 character will be exactly the same, you just get the perks at different times. You can still level up beyond 45, you just start over with a fresh bag of perk chips. I understand why they did that, the old skill tree where you specialize in certain weapon types would have been completely at odds with the randomized lego bits, because it would mean you were completely unable to use most of the loot. But it's just another departure from the RPG style of space game towards an ARPG style space game, sort of like Diablo or Borderlands.

There's a sector map, which is the most important part of the game and also gives context to the combat. The sector map is how you get the resources you need to buy the legos, which are what you need to kill the enemy ships. There's a faction system, which is how you get a lot of resources, which is how you get the really good legos, which is how you kill the really strong enemy ships. It's not very complicated; you get more stuff, which lets you kill more ships, which gets you more levels, which lets you kill more ships, which gives you more stuff. Later on you can start your own faction and tax other people, which gets you more stuff, which lets you kill more ships, etc. The combat is solid and the sector map does a good job of getting you back into the combat while also giving you short breaks between fights.

It's a good game and I've enjoyed the dozen hours or so I've spent with it. But it's very different from both SPAZ1 and Starsector.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:39:02 PM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 03:25:44 AM »

That's a good description, thanks. Personally, I'm waiting until the bugs are squashed and the polishing is done.

Most of the negative reviews  on steam fall into 2 cathegories: the controls suck or it's nothing like spaz 1.

Frankly, I applaud their initiative, they pulled their boxers up and tried something new when they could have just stuck to the formula and rake in the cash of a dedicated fan base.

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 12:59:23 PM »

Most of the negative reviews  on steam fall into 2 cathegories: the controls suck or it's nothing like spaz 1.

Frankly, I applaud their initiative, they pulled their boxers up and tried something new when they could have just stuck to the formula and rake in the cash of a dedicated fan base.

Exactly. And if they made it the same, all you would get is "Uggghhhh, dis gaim iz leik da furzt 1. Yor *** @ maken gamez!!!11!!"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Especially with modern standards and expectations.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »

Well, to be blunt, if they don't rake in enough cash then they are done for and we won't be seeing anymore games from them.

This is turning into a classic "Couldn't see the forest for the trees" situation. They got so involved with their new Starmap and its related systems that they lost sight of what made SPAZ 1 so good - the fast, quirky and addicting combat. Gone are the venting of goons into space only to run them over with your ship, gone are the unique ship hulls, gone is the satisfying bluerprint collection and unlock system...

Oh well, I'll probably end up getting it later on. Gonna wait till they polish and tweak it more.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 04:25:48 PM »

Tried a bit before I refunded it, really not what I was looking for. Pity, I really enjoyed a ton out of SPAZ 1.

braven25

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 10:32:39 AM »

That's a good description, thanks. Personally, I'm waiting until the bugs are squashed and the polishing is done.

Most of the negative reviews  on steam fall into 2 cathegories: the controls suck or it's nothing like spaz 1.

They one thing about trying something different, but when you stick number 2 on end of title, people are expecting sequel where the game is more or less the same but better.

But sadly Spaz no has nothing in common with it original except for the name and the zombie theme, they prob got better reviews if they called it Rebel Galaxy vs Zombies lol

Imagine how you feel if Starsector 2 came out and it was a fps with over simplified mechanics, as that's essentially what SPAZ has done
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 10:35:51 AM by braven25 »
Pages: [1] 2