Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: going all vents on a Dominator (solved)  (Read 23761 times)

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: going all vents on a Dominator (solved)
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2016, 07:32:48 PM »

definitely OP. Alex should make it a medium sized mount instead of small.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2016, 08:48:53 AM »

Or make super-powered missiles either cost supplies to rearm or increase a ships cr recovery, or slow down its cr recovery and increase the cr loss of retreating and then re-engaging since that's basically what pre-armed missiles do
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2016, 10:47:29 AM »

Super-powered missiles are fine if they are limited.  If I sacrifice significant OP for a few missiles, they better erase a ship when I fire them.  Most non-regenerating missiles are not worth their OP cost without high Missile Specialization.  If missiles should not be super-powered, they should either all regenerate or cost almost no OP to use.

Before the missile buff in 0.65, missiles were a waste of OP.

Only problem with 3 OP cost Atropos is 2000 damage is not quite enough to kill many things.  Aside from that, Atropos is one of the few missiles that is good without Missile Specialization, at least for the Scarab.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2016, 11:10:13 AM »

I think even the non-regenerating missiles are very powerful - its just a matter of expectations. When we expect "hero ships" that are supposed to take on five times their number of ships, then they are not useful. When we expect them to take out a single ship of the same size (ie an even fight) then missiles are very powerful.

I'm against making missiles more super powered - if every enemy frigate can simply erase one of mine every time it fires... well...

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »

Missiles are fine and feel perfectly balanced compared to most games, where missiles don't do jack.
See, unlike guns and lasers, there's no need to have a missile be designed to require several shots to take out their intended target. Most missiles in real life one shots their targets anyway, which also feels very satisfying when you fire them.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2016, 02:07:39 PM »

See, unlike guns and lasers, there's no need to have a missile be designed to require several shots to take out their intended target. Most missiles in real life one shots their targets anyway, which also feels very satisfying when you fire them.
I expect missiles that cost significant OP and have few shots (e.g., Harpoons or torpedoes) to do exactly that.  Max Missile Specialization is required to come close to this.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2016, 11:25:01 PM »

Yeah but facing reapers and Atropos isn't fun. Losing your lone ship to a reaper you had no hope of avoiding isn't fun
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2016, 11:32:53 PM »

It's wrong play with a single ship. If you say you like it, then you must also like playing Command and Conquer with a single tank. Oh boy you must really like those rocket troopers garrisoned on the way to the enemy base.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2016, 11:44:54 PM »

You, uh, kinda start that way. And, this isn't an rts. Half of the skill tree is for solo play

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2016, 12:16:20 AM »

Of course it's RTS, you got so many ships under your command, you just happen to be able to boost your own ship to be slightly stronger.

At the beginning you only got one ship, but you don't have to take on very strong opposition. You can always run away if you are outmatched.

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2016, 09:24:22 AM »

Of course it's RTS, you got so many ships under your command, you just happen to be able to boost your own ship to be slightly stronger.

At the beginning you only got one ship, but you don't have to take on very strong opposition. You can always run away if you are outmatched.

***Slightly***? Let me tell you this, if you have got used to a fully leveled character with all the combat and technology skill added, playing a new character would be a nightmare. I only find the game challenging for the 1st 20~30 levels, after that it's just a walk in the park.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:28:39 AM by sycspysycspy »
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2016, 11:40:38 AM »

Ofcourse it's slightly. The player's flagship can get fully leveled in 8 combat skill categories, while the player's AI captains can be fully leveled in 5. For most people it'll usually be 20% stronger hull and 20% faster speed, plus 10% faster dissipation which is a slight difference, dwarfed by the differences that resulted from the ship configuration.

This make it an RTS game, where you win through unit combination as opposed to an action game that is centered around a do-everything hero unit.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2016, 02:54:13 PM »

The skills are so ridiculously strong at level 10 that, when all combined together and with a human, they do make a hero unit. See people soloing large, multicapital fleets with max officers with a single cruiser (and only that because their frigates run out of CR). I personally don't like it very much compared to low level play, though others do and their opinion is just as valid as mine.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2016, 03:21:21 PM »

The skills are so ridiculously strong at level 10 that...
Level 10 is so much stronger than level 9, thanks to all of those perks.  Back in 0.65, level 10 commanders were so much stronger than level 9 ones.

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2016, 07:30:24 PM »

Ofcourse it's slightly. The player's flagship can get fully leveled in 8 combat skill categories, while the player's AI captains can be fully leveled in 5. For most people it'll usually be 20% stronger hull and 20% faster speed, plus 10% faster dissipation which is a slight difference, dwarfed by the differences that resulted from the ship configuration.

This make it an RTS game, where you win through unit combination as opposed to an action game that is centered around a do-everything hero unit.
I get it now, for people like you who does not know anything about how to pilot a ship properly, that would be "slightly".
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5