Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are ships capturable when they blow themselves up?  (Read 2602 times)

Zindaras

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Are ships capturable when they blow themselves up?
« on: September 22, 2016, 10:46:30 PM »

Been trying to capture a Falcon (XIV), I killed the rest of its fleet while avoiding it and let it retreat, then engaged it to try and save-scum until I captured it, mostly since I"m curious about how different it is and I can't get any from the Hegemony for obvious reasons.

My problem is, I engage it in battle and it has 0% CR, which means it explodes within the first 1-5 seconds of the fight from malfunctions. I let that happen about 40-50 times without getting a capture chance, which I believe should be about 5%?

Then I happened to bamf over with my Hyperion and shoot it, and noticed that I got salvage as a result of that fight, which I hadn't been getting when it blew up on its own. Managing that a few more times, I found it gave salvage when it was destroyed by me, but not otherwise.

The thing I'm wondering is, am I even getting a roll on the maybe-capture table if the enemy is blowing up on its own, or do I NEED to kill it within the first 3 seconds of the battle?

Notably I have 800 Marines, so like, you'd think they could do their job. ;)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Are ships capturable when they blow themselves up?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 11:35:03 PM »

Been trying to capture a Falcon (XIV), I killed the rest of its fleet while avoiding it and let it retreat, then engaged it to try and save-scum until I captured it, mostly since I"m curious about how different it is and I can't get any from the Hegemony for obvious reasons.

My problem is, I engage it in battle and it has 0% CR, which means it explodes within the first 1-5 seconds of the fight from malfunctions. I let that happen about 40-50 times without getting a capture chance, which I believe should be about 5%?

Then I happened to bamf over with my Hyperion and shoot it, and noticed that I got salvage as a result of that fight, which I hadn't been getting when it blew up on its own. Managing that a few more times, I found it gave salvage when it was destroyed by me, but not otherwise.

The thing I'm wondering is, am I even getting a roll on the maybe-capture table if the enemy is blowing up on its own, or do I NEED to kill it within the first 3 seconds of the battle?

Notably I have 800 Marines, so like, you'd think they could do their job. ;)
Starsector has anti save scum measures in place thanks to Megas (the resident muchkin/ minmaxer) here on the forums. Basically the game rolls what ships are and are not boardable every seven or so days. If you want to get that ship you could always grab the console command mod and spwn it in while subtracting the credit cost from your bank
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 04:32:21 AM »

You give me too much credit.  I think anyone who wanted to board a particular ship (e.g., Hyperion, Tempest, Monitor) during the 0.6x days had to save-scum ruthlessly to overcome the 37.5% hard dock boarding chance.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 08:47:02 AM »

Yeah, anti save/loading stuff is pretty much par for the course. You just generally don't want anything valuable to be manipulated like that, though some things slip through occasionally.

Generally speaking, save/loading is not going to alter the boarding roll in that situation.

Ahh, thanks for bringing this up. Looks like there's a bug here - if you didn't do any damage, you don't get salvage - made a note.

Fairly sure that it *doesn't* affect boarding, though.