Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My thoughts on Starfarer (As a new-comer)  (Read 4196 times)

Himntor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
My thoughts on Starfarer (As a new-comer)
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:48:33 PM »

Hi peoples. I'm new to the forums (And the game itself) Like many, found out about the game thanks to TotalBiscuit with his WTF Is...
I thought I'd make a topic on my thoughts about the game thus far (Had it for about 2 or 3 days now), and make some suggestions.

I think I'll start with a small list of some 'little' things I like or dislike.

1. Wheres the music!? D:
2. The visuals are very impressive, Though ship designs are a bit cheesy looking to me, can't put my finger on it as to why.
3. PIRATES, STOP RUNNING AAWAAAYYYYY!
4. Losing my entire fleet kind of sucks. I wish the chance for a disabled ship to be repaired was a bit higher. Also, how come they can capture my ship if it's retreated and half way across the battlefield from any known powerful force to capture it?
5. The games rewards for doing good and defeating your foes makes me feel awesome. It's always sweet to destroy an opposing force that would seem rather strong to you, and then steal all their credits  8)

I think one of the main things that has bothered me would be the lack of multiplayer the game will not have, while I do understand the reasoning for not having it, I can't help but thinking of so many awesome ways to integrate it into the system. Any chance of it coming after release at some point or something honestly would be pretty awesome.

I think one of the ways to do it would be normally skirmish battles with each player controlling a single ship and going against each other.
Do maybe a 8v8 kind of battle, you would pick the type of ship you want to play, and play the role that kind of ship would play as (Such as a Support Ship, an Assault, etc etc.) In a way how Dota works.
Obviously there should be different tiers of battles such as Frigate/Destroyer battles, Cruiser/Capital Ships, or a mix of all.

I suppose the "What about Fighters" Which I think should be controlled by a single person, using the Condor Class Light Carrier (Or any type of carrier that is specifically for housing fighters) But anyways, enough about wishing for multiplayer.

Some nice things that would be, well, nice to have would be more responsive commands. While they are pretty good and so far I've been able to get a hang of using the command screen, getting the ships to be more responsive as though to "Move here no matter the cost!" or an order to protect the flagship, all ships move at the same speed the flagship is going, little things like that. That to me would be a nice little improvement. Not saying it's needed, but it would be nice  ;D

I can't really pin down much that's bad about the game (Good job on that by the way) other then "It's still alpha so I'm waiting for more features!"
Also, does anyone else get annoyed fighting Aurora-Class balanced cruisers, and when they blow up you are accidentally right next to it and blow up along with it? That's happened to me on more then one occasion :X

Anyway, those are my thoughts as much as I can think of. Thanks for reading, if you did.  :D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: My thoughts on Starfarer (As a new-comer)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »

Hi there - thanks for dropping by to share your thoughts!

... or an order to protect the flagship, all ships move at the same speed the flagship is going, little things like that. That to me would be a nice little improvement. Not saying it's needed, but it would be nice  ;D

Working on these as we speak :)

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:08:45 PM »

music is on the way. there is a man dedicated to just that... and sound effects.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Himntor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:17:15 PM »

Hi there - thanks for dropping by to share your thoughts!

... or an order to protect the flagship, all ships move at the same speed the flagship is going, little things like that. That to me would be a nice little improvement. Not saying it's needed, but it would be nice  ;D

Working on these as we speak :)
Good to know  ;D Also just like to say you run things pretty great round here then most places. This is why I sometimes prefer the indie developers, much more interactivity and information on the game.

music is on the way. there is a man dedicated to just that... and sound effects.
Indeed. Hopefully it sounds good and fits the game feel.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:45:04 PM »

2: Maybe it's the asymmetry of a large potion of the ships?

Also, does anyone else get annoyed fighting Aurora-Class balanced cruisers, and when they blow up you are accidentally right next to it and blow up along with it? That's happened to me on more then one occasion :X
I usually never get blown up by destroyed ships. The AI on the other hand seems suicidally aggressive against ships inches from exploding. I cannot count how many times I've reloaded since I simply cannot stand that kind of stupidity losing me a ship. ::)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »

I usually never get blown up by destroyed ships. The AI on the other hand seems suicidally aggressive against ships inches from exploding. I cannot count how many times I've reloaded since I simply cannot stand that kind of stupidity losing me a ship. ::)

Mostly fixed in the next build, btw - both as far as avoiding exploding ships, and raising its shields when it's close enough to be in danger.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »

Oh, really! Well, in that case, now that I've got your attention, if possible, also make it so the AI also shows it's armored sides to the enemy rather than it's exposed sides. Or make it a higher priority if it already shows it's exposed sides. I had an AI ship that might have survived a missile wave if it had turned right and showed it's armored left side to the missiles rather than the right side with no more armor. Instead it turned left and left it's exposed side directly towards the missiles. The result was not surprising. I didn't expect it to survive, no, but I did expect it to try to survive.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »

Welcome, I personally love the ship designs, especially the hegemony ones, but I realize it's a matter of taste.  I found S.P.A.Z's ships very cheesy, but Starfarer's seem quite serious, and ominous in some cases, to me.  Also, if the guy doing the music does as good a job as he did on the sound effects it's going to be amazing.