Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Variant editing with dev mode [current workaround issue] **solved**  (Read 4328 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile

Hey was wondering if anyone could help me with this or has run into this before me.

I'm trying to edit variants using dev mode since the new weapon types broke Trylobot's editor and I am running into the permissions issue with Windows 7. I have tried changing the permissions of the variants folder and it always autodefaults back to read only. I don't seem to have a way to get it to "stick" so to speak when I change it even when trying to add special permissions  :P and that was the workaround discussed here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8600.0

Its driving me crazy its like windows has absolutely determined that if I am allowed to change program file permissions I will break the whole computer.
I could use the second solution and reinstall the game outside of programs(x64) but I would rather not unless that is the only option because that would probably break many more things...  ::)  

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:35:27 PM by Morrokain »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Variant editing with dev mode [current workaround issue]
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 09:54:46 AM »

Not sure re: permissions, but the game will work just fine wherever you move it. You don't even need to reinstall, technically, but might want to just to get around the permissions thing.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 12:56:27 PM »

Well if it won't break anything then I guess that is too obvious a solution not to use it lol. Thanks for the info Alex.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 09:31:13 PM »

Well... clean installed outside of programs and tried to edit the variants after changing security under the entire starsector directory to admin and still cannot seem to make that setting or any variant changes in dev mode stick.

What am I doing wrong here? Am I not changing the security settings correctly? I am going to the folder properties, clicking the security tab, selecting admin under permissions, unclicking the "read only" checkbox, applying the changes, then hitting ok.

It seems to apply the changes (takes a couple seconds and displays a progress bar) and yet if i reclick properties under the folder everything is not saved.

I have windows 7 64 bit.

Any clues for me here?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 09:42:14 PM »

It saves the .variant files in:

../../starfarer.res/res/data/variants/

Relative to the saves directory. Which happens to be where they're at in the dev environment, but doesn't match an actual install. You may need to create those folders manually, and would need to copy the .variant files over to wherever you need them. Perhaps this is the missing piece?

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 10:51:56 PM »

It saves the .variant files in:

../../starfarer.res/res/data/variants/

Relative to the saves directory. Which happens to be where they're at in the dev environment, but doesn't match an actual install. You may need to create those folders manually, and would need to copy the .variant files over to wherever you need them. Perhaps this is the missing piece?

So to clarify, the path would be in this case: downloads/starsector/starfarer.res/res/data/variants/     or:     downloads/starsector/saves/starsector.res/res/data/variants/ ?

Also I have copied the variant files, but should i leave the original variant files in data as well? The dev mode editor seems to want to read the variant files from that location only. It still will not save any changes to the variant files.  ???

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:35:42 PM »

I think it'd be:
downloads/starfarer.res/res/data/variants/

Assuming the saves path here is correct:
downloads/starsector/saves/

It goes up two levels (../../) before going to starsector.res.

Also I have copied the variant files, but should i leave the original variant files in data as well? The dev mode editor seems to want to read the variant files from that location only. It still will not save any changes to the variant files.  ???

Yeah, it's messy. It's going to read the files from their "normal" location, but it'll save them to the other one. Needless to say, this wasn't something intended for use outside the dev environment; that it works at all (with the directory fiddling) is more of a happy accident. Whether the hassle of copying files over is worth the benefit of using the in-game variant editor is entirely up to you.

(I haven't actually run it this way myself; perhaps someone who has can chime in if you're still having trouble...)

SpecTRe_X

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 02:23:07 PM »

You can try taking ownership of the Starsector directory and see if that helps.

Right click on the Starsector directory -> click Properties -> click on the Security tab -> click on the Advanced button

In the new window that pops up click the Owner tab -> click the edit button -> select your account -> check the "Replace owner on..." box -> click Apply

Once it's done, "OK" out of the other windows.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:34:52 PM »

That did it!  ;D Just needed to create a path in downloads (downloads/starfarer.res/res/data/variants/) and the saved changes stick in the files there. Didn't know (../) meant it increments a level first.

Thanks for the help!