Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Sub-Boards for mod authors  (Read 3232 times)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Sub-Boards for mod authors
« on: April 23, 2016, 05:17:31 PM »

I've seen some people joke around in the new Dark.Revenant threads and I do think some of it is valid, the mod release board is getting cluttered.

Would it be possible to allow for very active mod authors to have their own sub-boards? Other gaming forums with very active modding communities do this, for example Factorio (https://forums.factorio.com/viewforum.php?f=95&sid=8ef592bcb403d2449b9e92039b3baa85). It would also allow users to create specific feedback topics without relying on just one giant thread.

Obviously I'm not against the multiple topics or the idea of DynaSector, it's just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 05:19:37 PM by Cyan Leader »

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Sub-Boards for mod authors
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 06:33:23 AM »

I approve that. (But with my bad level on english, i cannot explain correctly why >< )
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 07:21:39 AM »

Very good example how Sub-Boards could be used is http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum.php.
Sub-Boards for mod authors who believe they would benefit from them would help mod creators separate bug reports, feedback and announcements and overall make development for mods with multiple team members far more manageable.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 07:42:52 AM »

It might sound like a good idea at first but who would reasonably use that right now? It would have only been useful to DR, and from now on he will mostly do maintenance. If new sub-forum would be created, I'd prefer them to separate faction mods from utilities/feature mods since some of the good but not much updated smaller mods get buried fast unless you read the mod index.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:26:40 AM »

I think there really should be sub-boards for Utility mods and Libraries (currently buried in Modding Resources), Gameplay Mods and Faction Mods; this would tend to de-clutter the board quite a lot.  I'd say Total Conversions, but frankly the only one extant atm is the only one that's likely to exist for a while; I doubt if TC authors will re-appear until the game is in Beta.

It's a shame that so many Faction mods are effectively moribund atm, due to changes to SS under the hood, too; we really should ask the authors, through the board, if they'd be willing to at least release the content for general use, so that somebody can come along and revive the mods later.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:30:16 AM »

I would agree with Tartiflette. A sub section to find the more utilitarian mods like Omnifactory or Console Commands or the Sim Overhaul. The rest can stay as they are. In the case of Dark.Revenant's mods, I'd recommend combining them all into one thread. Call it "D.R Mods" or some such and have a moderator do some forum surgery to have the first 5-6 posts just be Dark.Revenant's posts. Then he can use each post for each of his mods and keep SS+ in there as legacy in the final one of his post chain. Less clutter and all of DR's mods in one place without needing to dedicate a whole sub section to it. I'm not sure this forum is big enough and active enough to necessitate sub sections for each active mod author.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 12:28:27 PM »

I did this thread before reading he'd be retiring, not sure if it's such a good idea now.