Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Sabot srm  (Read 27841 times)

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
Sabot srm
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:32:09 PM »

any reason for sabot to be so much crappier than harpoon with range and tracking? both do 750 damage sabot just does kinetic instead of exlopsive...  :-\
(besides sabot has awesome pewpew factor built into it) its ridiculous that sabots cant out run hammer head firing em...   :'(

thought only benefit for kinetic is that it does better shield damage? ???

(if sabots get buffed at some point they would brobably need to be called MRMs instead ^^)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: Sabot srm
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 02:33:39 PM »

Just the purpose behind it. You are supposed to use them to take shields down, so they need to be used close up to make sure they hit. So range and tracking aren't important.

MRMs can be used more to harass people.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »

:/ still saying more range and better tracking would make em bit more flexible only use i have found for em so far is the first charge and spam... after that enemies generally keep strafing and hitting em with sabots is PAIN! ^^

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:44:26 PM »

Yeah, this is true. They must be timed wisely. They are murder on shields, though.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:05:55 PM »

Its easier to hit shields than it is armor, really - Shields are projected outside of the ship..

Also, its probably a function of the missile being cheaper more than anything else.. but the sabot and harpoon are both 5 op iirc. (possibly could be changed, I dont really assume op costs are final yet)

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 03:15:11 PM »

:/ just thought having srms, mrms, lrms of the same type would be nice... (3 missiles for kinetic,same for explosive....)
so u could choose what damage type u want for your long range support or short range assault ship... (preferably with differen op costs would think short range missiles to be smaller so cheaper to install)
 ::)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »

:/ still saying more range and better tracking would make em bit more flexible only use i have found for em so far is the first charge and spam... after that enemies generally keep strafing and hitting em with sabots is PAIN! ^^

I can understand the better tracking bit, but why would you want more range? As I understand the system, the sabot is meant to be used as a close in engagement weapon when you're already in weapons' range. Raising someone's flux way outside of your ability to hit them with anything other than missiles seems a little strange as they can just vent it quite quickly before facing you.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Gear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 04:28:32 PM »

Sabot right now is pretty useless, you get I think 3 missiles and at best it would take all 3 to take down shields of pretty much a frigate. If you don't kill him before his shields go back up it's basically a waste. Oh and then you don't have anymore missiles for other ships.

Pentakill

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 04:54:03 PM »

Sabot right now is pretty useless, you get I think 3 missiles and at best it would take all 3 to take down shields of pretty much a frigate. If you don't kill him before his shields go back up it's basically a waste. Oh and then you don't have anymore missiles for other ships.

On an Aurora Class you can have 4 sabots and a larger missile slot, if you can close on any medium or larger ship you can just fire 2 at a time (out of 12) until shields are down (usually only take 3-4) then unload with lasers, missiles, ect. insta killing it. if you can do that 3 times then that's deff worth the cost of putting the ship into the fight. And if you see a capital ship coming at you, use your speed to get into the area it has the least PD, unload all 12 and spam everything and with the help of some other ships its instantly crippled or out right dead.

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 06:08:43 PM »

Sabots are handy sometimes, but I often take em off due to the high ordnance point cost. I like using the single sabots (only cost 1 point instead of 5) so it winds up being a cheap one shot deal. Might be good to up the ammo to 5 or cut the ordnance cost down to 3 though, give a bit more bang for your buck on the sabot racks.

I've used them to quickly drop a ship when I was surrounded and desperately needed to kill something fast. Once I was flying a Lasher and slammed two into another Lasher that was unloading on me nearly point blank, instantly overloading it and saving me from overloading - which would have been fatal with all the missiles and other ships all around me.

They're only really useful imo if you're in a tight spot and need to quickly overload an enemy's shield without raising your own flux level. For just straight up shield busting ballistic kinetic guns like the needler do a better job.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »

I don't think they're supposed to be a one off miracle weapon used to overload shields instantly. The way I think we're supposed to use them is as a very big and instant boost to the enemy ship's flux. Enemy ships when their flux is high, will drop their shields but continue firing if you're in weapons range to defend themselves, in this way they won't overload and become a sitting duck. This is particularly important when you use mainly beam weapons, as the damage done to their shields and flux is continuous and doesn't provide the jolt necessary to overload the shields before they can pull it down.

As such, these are to be used when the enemy ship's flux is almost full, but not to the point where they're going to drop their shields and not overload. Think of each missile as a flux overload for the ship's you're facing. They provide, as far as I know, the biggest contributions to a ship's flux than anything under torpedoes, and should be used as such. Their role seems to be designed for this too, they are made to explode barely into the enemy ship's PD cover to launch the molten hot kinetic round into the shields.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:39:44 PM by Flare »
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 06:41:14 PM »

Most of the small mount missiles are surgical weapons; you are not suppose to spam them.

Harpoon is useless if the enemy has shield or decent PD so only shoot when he's overloaded and Sabot is there to raise shield/flux quickly so not wise to use it at the start of the engagement etc.

I find missiles to be far more skill based in Starfarer than other space games.  

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »

MRMs can be used more to harass people.

You get three in a rack by default and you use them to harass people? Weird.

I use 'em as a finisher, exclusively, they're not very good chasers, Salamanders are better for that.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »

I said can:)  I don't use much but salamanders, haha.
- Voltaire

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 08:48:05 PM »

Point. And yeah, agreed, I use salamanders, and pilums almost exclusively, though I do keep harpoons around. I really wish torpedoes had guidance and longer range so I could use those submarine style.... As it stands, I sometimes outright forget to use torpedoes, and not many ships even carry them.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5