Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 85

Author Topic: [0.97a] Ship/Weapon Pack 1.15.1  (Read 1108227 times)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ship/Weapon Pack 1.12.0
« Reply #795 on: October 27, 2020, 03:06:43 AM »

I've gotten the Luddic Church flying fortress from a bounty that specifically stated it was posted because the commander in question stole one, but I think you can actually obtain them just by buying it if you're cooperative with the faction having it in one of their military worlds. That's how I bought the Locomotive from HMI (around 1,7 mil if I remember correctly)

Spoiler
[close]

Edit: Did not want to post another reply right after this one so here it is:

I think the Chronos needs a consistent power-up as it lacks behind other 40FP units by a long shot.

The armament is purposefully inferior to everything else in that price range because it obviously focuses on mobility and I would not change that (despite my desperate want for a second large energy mount) but I find it really struggling when it comes to being worth the 40 Fleet Points.

The build I've found that works the most in both player and AI hands comes with a Plasma Cannon, triple linked Sabot MRM, one Ion Beam and the rest is Point Defence. It's got both unstable injector and hardened shields in addition to expanded missile racks to quickly move in and out of engagements and deal as much damage as possible to the enemies it drowns in sabots to then pummel then with its plasma Cannon while the temporal shell is active.

I honestly believe it's a Battlecruiser trying really hard to be a Harass Destroyer but the mobility still cuts it very short. The easiest and most bland solution would be to just give it more OP or maybe make it cheaper, but I've got a different suggestion:

Modify the Temporal Shell into the "Chronos Shell" wich is not a timed ability BUT A TOGGLE!
It will gain the same benefits of the temporal shell but it will build hard flux overtime as it it was a phase field. You could also increase weapon flux generation while active in a tentative way to not make it absolutely disgusting with the right setup if it turns out to be too effective with this change.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 07:26:34 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 28, 2020, 12:50:50 AM »

I've seen it noted in a few other places that the Chronus is actually considered overpowered at current. I've seen a single AI-controlled Chronus engage and just annihilate two capital-class battlecarriers simultaneously without breaking a sweat in a very large battle setting. And even in battles that swung against them, the things are frequently the last ship to go down, and usually manage to retreat anyway unless you surround it with overwhelming numbers. If you're trying to use it as the lynchpin of a fleet by itself maybe it seems a bit lacking, but as a capital flanker in a fight between two roughly even fleets, the thing is terrifying.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:53:50 AM by Kaitol »

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 28, 2020, 02:41:07 AM »

I've seen it noted in a few other places that the Chronus is actually considered overpowered at current. I've seen a single AI-controlled Chronus engage and just annihilate two capital-class battlecarriers simultaneously without breaking a sweat in a very large battle setting. And even in battles that swung against them, the things are frequently the last ship to go down, and usually manage to retreat anyway unless you surround it with overwhelming numbers. If you're trying to use it as the lynchpin of a fleet by itself maybe it seems a bit lacking, but as a capital flanker in a fight between two roughly even fleets, the thing is terrifying.

Oh, I must be doing something wrong with it then, I'd really like to see the setups that actually make it preferable to something like an Odissey. That said, it depends on the Battlecarriers it fights and it would not really be that impressive if it was two Talon Legions.

I will agree that the fact it can get away and keep retreating from virtually anything makes it a very valuable ship, but I have yet to see one actually be a threat in my campaign. I fear a Conquest much, much more as it currently stands.

Edit: Do you remember those other places where you've seen it described as something useful as a flanker, therefore anywhere in the same ballpark as Odyssey and Conquest?

Anyone actually using it in his/her current campaign and describing how it performs would be great. I assume it works best with area denial units like carriers since it excels against things unable to chase and pressure it.

Edit 2: I'm actually going to recover a Chronos next time I get into a scuffle with a fleet using it, restore it at a restoration dock and try and figure out what I did wrong to think it was not all that great. Will post results when I get them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 03:17:26 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 28, 2020, 11:09:30 PM »

The occasion that springs most strongly to mind was when I was talking with Tartiflette about some trouble Diable Avionics fleets were having with Persean League fleets in a playthrough I was doing, most of which had a Cronus or two mixed in with the mid-tech capitals. And the two battle-carriers I was speaking of were Maelstrom's from Diable.

As for outfitting a Chronus, my memory is a bit hazy, but I think the ones I saw were using a combination of long-range sustained and burst beam weapons? I do suggest giving them a high-level officer to make the best use of the exceptional ship system and shields.

Julio Montega

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 29, 2020, 04:22:57 AM »

Thank you so much for that pirate variant of the vulture! It rocks and looks good, now no convoy is safe anymore!
But how can the bp be obtained?
I have updated the mods including the graphics lib and nexerelin and loaded my savefile.
I haven't found the BP yet as single BP and the variant also isn't listed in the pirate faction's bp package.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:10:19 AM by Julio Montega »

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 29, 2020, 07:57:33 AM »

Thank you so much for that pirate variant of the vulture! It rocks and looks good, now no convoy is safe anymore!
You should try Tyrador Safeguard Coalition, it add the cheapest pirate battle capital i ever seen in Starsector it's about 70K credits, even Venture, the base cruiser that you get is about 120K credits, it's really weird ship in my opinion, it's a conversion of midline/high-tech ship to low tech. But somehow it's really stick up for me.

Link : https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5492.0
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #801 on: November 30, 2020, 12:39:59 AM »

But how can the bp be obtained?
I have updated the mods including the graphics lib and nexerelin and loaded my savefile.
I haven't found the BP yet as single BP and the variant also isn't listed in the pirate faction's bp package.

It's a "rare_bp" ship, so it can only be found as single BP rare drops (or by raiding a pirate world with Heavy Industry).  Good luck!

LeStinke

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: December 09, 2020, 12:28:47 AM »

Saw someone mention the new sprites and I have to agree on the Vindicator, don't get me wrong I am absolutely not trying to *** on the guy who made it, it looks very nice and crisp, the details stand out much better than on the original but overall design and shape wise it just doesn't look as menacing as the original Vindicator. That thing looked tough and rugged, the fact that the gun sat away from the hull made it stand out a lot more, now it sort of blends in the hull, idk not a huge fan. Everything else looks fantastic, guess I've gotten very attached to my original style Vindicators, might get the new version just for the Liberator though, that one looks like a beast.

I'd suggest maybe giving the Vindicator some of it's old angular hull back, maybe separate the gun from the frontal ''prongs'' or whatever you'd call them, that way it wouldn't look so pudgy, the larger bridge structure also made the original look less flat, I understand you didn't make the sprites, this is just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:43:39 AM by LeStinke »

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: December 09, 2020, 07:32:10 AM »

You can override the new sprite with the old sprite i think(?), unless they change some fundamental data like weapon placement, etc.

Me too love the old vindicator, maybe because it's feel more like low tech, the new one feel too smooth, but then again, it's probably nostalgia playing trick on me.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

LeStinke

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: December 10, 2020, 08:52:25 AM »

You can override the new sprite with the old sprite i think(?), unless they change some fundamental data like weapon placement, etc.

Me too love the old vindicator, maybe because it's feel more like low tech, the new one feel too smooth, but then again, it's probably nostalgia playing trick on me.

I think they did, the small ballistic slots look like they're in different positions, sprite might be a different size too, but it's no big deal, it shouldn't be a difficult thing to pull off regardless, think I'll look into it tomorrow.

The only thing I didn't like too much about the old Vindicator was that it was maybe just a tiny bit too large, I'm not sure if I just have *** eyesight but it always looked bigger campaign map than in battles too, I think the new one might be a bit smaller? I can't say for sure.

PainProjection

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: December 20, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »

Added: Shield Shunt; removes shields and increases EMP resistance by 50%

Any thoughts about "Shield Bypass"? Is it gonna be removed from S/W pack after 095 release?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #806 on: December 20, 2020, 04:06:04 PM »

Added: Shield Shunt; removes shields and increases EMP resistance by 50%

Any thoughts about "Shield Bypass"? Is it gonna be removed from S/W pack after 095 release?

I will probably be removing all of SWP's modular hullmods after 0.95a, due to the addition of Shield Shunt, built-in hullmods via Story Points, and the new Officer and Mercenary mechanics.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: December 20, 2020, 07:14:32 PM »

That is unfortunate.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
[0.9.1a] Ship/Weapon Pack 1.12.1
« Reply #808 on: December 24, 2020, 09:59:48 PM »

Various tournament-inspired balance changes are afoot this time.  Beholders are the bane of my existence.  Breaks saves.

Download Ship/Weapon Pack 1.12.1
Download Mirror
(Requires LazyLib 2.4f)
(Requires GraphicsLib 1.4.4) (Updated!)

- Supported by Nexerelin 0.9.7c (Updated!) -

Git Repository

Edit SWP_OPTIONS.ini to enable or disable Ship/Weapon Pack features!

We recommend Version Checker to notify you when an update is ready.

Having problems?  Visit the Mod Troubleshooting Guide!

Change Log
Version 1.12.1
- Renamed Revenant to Nightwalker
- Chronos DP decreased to 35 from 40
- Tweaked Time Accelerator; is now a shorter charge-based system
- Beholder DP increased to 11 from 10
- Beholder Ray Drones now have a hullmod called Ray Core instead of Terminator Core and IPDAI
  * 3x damage to missiles, up from 2.5x
  * 2x damage to fighters, same as before
  * Tactical Laser can target missiles, ignores flares, and perfectly tracks the target, same as before
  * Tactical Laser turns 2x faster, same as before
  * Takes no engine damage, same as before
  * 2/3x damage to shields, down from 1x
  * Range now matches the mothership, up/down from a flat +300
- Increased delay between Hornet MRM shots in a burst to 0.5 from 0.3 (but not the total time between bursts)
- Increased Hornet MRM damage to 400 from 375
- Updated missile AI to permit Scutum's Attraction Array
- Partisan replace time increased to 12 from 10 seconds
- Fixed version file HTTPS redirect
- Fixed a bizarre edge-case bug relating to Sabot SRMs
- The Cathedral's modules' hull sizes are changed to frigate-tier after the battle starts
  * This is a dirty hack to improve macro-level AI behavior around the Cathedral
  * This will not affect the behavior of most hullmods, but anything with an every-frame calculation might behave strangely if it depends on the module's hull size
- The Cathedral's shield and collision radius now dynamically shrinks to account for modules that are blown off
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 02:38:59 AM by Dark.Revenant »

PainProjection

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ship/Weapon Pack 1.12.1
« Reply #809 on: December 25, 2020, 12:06:13 PM »

Since you are here, i want to request some nerfs.

Cathedral is Conquest on Steroids?

It can do things what not every other ship can do, it can win unwinnable fights, it's probably one of the strongest ships in entire modded Starsector excluding boss/unique vessels and super-capitals from "Missing Ships". But why?

Here is my loadout https://imgur.com/a/Y8zQXKY Idea is what main shield protects modules, but when it vents, they able to cover themselves long enough to not overload untill main shield is back online again. So whole concept is minimalising that downtime and maximising survivability of auxilary shields, thats why there is resistant flux conduits, just to speedup venting, it takes 5 sec from full flux capacitors to completely vent, leaving no chance to overload secondary shields.

So i thought maybe it's because of makeshift generators? But no, there is literally a copy of Cathedral made by Snrasha - Minister, from his "Pulse Industry" mod. It also has shieded modules, it have some punch, but will break apart if get focused hard. Whats the difference then?

I watched my own footage for additional analysis and realise what i just abuse 0-flux boost all the time. Secret is what your secondary shields are strong enough to protect you against even some capitals or bunch of smaller ships and if they not doing well, you always can turn a bit. It's sideways thrusters not very powerful, but you can use your main thrusters to accelerate yourself to max speed and then turn towards the enemies while sideways thrusters will keep the momentum even if you correct your cource, so you just surf around the crowd, showering them from all of your weapons while having 0-flux boost advantage. It looks ridiculous how such massive ship moving so fast. Reminds me of good old Conquest gameplay (i heard what helmsmanship skill was nerfed because Conquest had similar abuse with 0-flux)

Speed gives you options:
First of all you can chase clunky enemies who just not able to activate their 0-flux boost, cause your weapons keep them busy.
But most importantly it give you ability to disengage if your systems overloaded at the moment.
Or even just split oppossing ships because all of them have different speed levels so you can kill them one by one.

Such tactics also known as Divide and Conquer and it is what vanilla Conqueror doing all the time. He surf around, split enemy forces, quick pick vulnerable and exposed targets and then runs away, just to strike back after very rapid venting.

If we can take another look at Minister we will see - ALL Minister's weapons are positioned on the core, making impossible to shot and move simultaneously. While Cathedral have majority of his mounts positioned on auxilary parts, even more: half of them are composite, this is especially important for "core" part because they can be fitted by rocket launchers completely freeing it from wasting any flux on shooting. Thats why minister feels so fragile - if it commit for a fight he must prevail or perish, no other options, you can't disengage while cathedral can.

I won hundreds of battles, mostly at 2x speed, that was booring, endless, non challenging fights, i lost my cathedral only two times, both because pesky olympus blowup my ass. So Cathedral is kinda in the past for me, i put it in hangar and never gonna use again, because it is to easy.

Recently i played with my new toy - Wurgandal from ED's shipyard. It have similar built-in hullmod called "Massive hull" and it already contains fix for Cathedral's 0-flux abuse, it just decreaces efficiency of 0-flux boost down to 30% or +15su instead of +50su. That's a smart and elegant solution, because we all know what such ships technically not capitals, they are 5th class - "Super Capitals". And also because making auxilary parts incompatible with shields would make this ship absolute trash, i don't want it to be trash, it needs only 0-boost fix aaaaaaaand.....

Here is another part, i know what this weapon belong to other mod, but it's been made by you, so i don't want to split my post in two.

You can see, in my loadout i use Tiandong's Ultra Autocannons, they pretty much copy of Gauss, but exchange range and alpha strike for a bit more dps and better flux/dmg ratio so it cannot effectively damage armor like Gauss(i used Gauss before and it works just fine), so don't pay attention to these 2 heavy ballistic mounts. Main dps dealer for both hull and suddenly shields(!) in this loadout is Ballistas

Man, this rocket launcher is OP. I can't say different. It's just to good. A lot of ships have few rocket mounts and before Interstellar Imperium i didn't know what to put there apart from maybe salamanders. Problem is what these rocket mounts usually just smaller fraction of oveall ship dps, not to much vessels focused of rocket saturation or even completely rely on them, so i just left this mounts empty prefering maximising other stats, there is also room for improvement. Rockets not last very long, even with Expanded missleracks you will deplete most of them far sooner than you deplete peak performance time.

And here comes ballistas, they just ideal for such situation either for full rocket builds. Primarely because - they not bound to Expanded Missleracks which makes them cheap, but, unlike pillums, effective mountplugs. Medium and heavy ones usually never even reach their "Sustained" 175 dps. And their stats not that bad, they actually pretty good, strong and sturdy rockets, with decent guidance and speed on final approach. Even the range man, in my modpack they are have longest reach of 6000 units, 2nd place is trebuchete and nullspace torpedoes with their 5000. Ballistas also stack very well with each other because of that low initial speed what again make them so perfect as mountplags, just every single ship in your fleet "doing his part" of adding few extra torpedoes to this nonsence. Equipping entire fleet will always cause a random rocket tornadoes what washing away those who unlucky enough to be targeted by these swarms. Literally the CHAD Pillums lol.

And they are another part of "Why Cathedral is so good". As i said, half of it's mounts are composite, this means less flux will be wasted on shooting = modules will have more spare flux to support their makeshift generators which make them even sturdier. And you literally never run out of rockets. Never. Ever.

Here is my solution, but, it's a bit... more fundamental than fix for Cathedral. It can be even considered as "rework"... kinda.

Again, i inspired by other mod, this time it is HMI. There is a weapon (i forget it's name), which stats may look very weird. It have more (sustained) dps than the "actuall" dps. It's like flipped upside down. Cool feature of this gun is what it require Expanded Magazines to reach it's sustained DPS, you get the idea? Stats been put together in the way what your base magazine size prevents you reaching maximum possible dps, you inevitably will run out of ammo before resupply tick will occur.

To make Ballistas balanced i suggest bound them to expanded missle racks, otherwise they will fire at half of their maximum DPS. (Make ammo reserves size = 1/2 of burst ammount, for example: if medium ballistas shot 4 rockets each burst reserve ammo must be just 2, so it cannot shot more than 2. However, if you install expanded missle racks then it would send 4 rockets with each burst). Concept is the same - better pillums, but they require additional investment in to missleracks to reach their full potential, right now they just to good for their ordnance price. Honestly i hate ballistas, because it is almost always the best option.

You always can build your cathedral similar to mine and try it by yourself. Makeshift gens+Ballistas is all what he needs. + pilot with combat related perks ofc.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:03:58 AM by PainProjection »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 85